Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Devil in a Clown Mask

No this isn't about religion-I Hope!
It's unfortunate especially at this time of year how many con artists will take advantage of the goodwill of others. In Sept. I finnished a large job for an aged celebrity and his foul mouthed wife. During the weeks that I worked on their boat they were both overly friendly and generous. They offered me meals and small sums of money to help deffer the cost of materials. They assured me that they would pay in full at completion of the job in cash and bragged about their wealth. They wouldn't allow me to work on rainy days and in general were just too nice. The work was done well and professionally and they once again loved their boat.When I presented them with the bill which was quite honestly a bargain for the amount of work done , They gave me another partial payment and said they would have the balance in Nov. I had allready given them the discount they requested for a cash payment in full at completion of the job. Well here we are 2 weeks before Christmas and I hadn't heard from them since Oct. so I gave them a call to see where my Nov payment was. Guess what the wife had to say. " I have allready paid you all you are going to get" . There is no problem with the work but she decided she was not going to pay me the balance due @ $3,000.00. She is laughing at me and I have been conned!
So to all the honest folks I say if someone is too nice or too friendly or offers too good of a deal or seems too willing- Beware Brother Beware!
Anyone else have an I've just been conned story?

12-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is why super nice people freak me out.
12-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you've signed a written contract with them, I'd take them to court. You did your job, and now they owe you the cash.

Luckly, I've never been conned, but then again, I'm only 28, and been living on my own for a little over 3 years now. I may have a story for you in about 5-10 years, so here's hoping pentaxforums will still be around!

However, I have ALMOST been conned once. Somebody was selling their ME super with a M 35 mm f2 for $65 on craigslist or kijiji (I can't remember). Being the LBA I am, I decided to meet the guy at the local mall. Upon getting there, and examining the items, I discovered the ME wouldn't switch modes (no biggie, I was more interested in the lens), and the aperature lever on the lens wouldn't move at all. I called the whole thing off. He then emailed me a few days later claiming that everything was working. I didn't bite.
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

a "cash job" denotes no contract...

i would just go in the middle of the night and put a hole in their boat, **** em.

12-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

i would just go in the middle of the night and put a hole in their boat, **** em.
It if was in the water, that could be considered piracy.
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Igilligan

Captain...

So sorry to hear this story... It is a shame that people are such a wipes.

And that having to take them to court falls back on you.

I am not lawyer, but I watch them tv...
But if you have proof or your work and any kind of signed agreement, I would slap a lien on that boat so fast it would make their cheatin' heads spin.

Sounds like the Wife is the minister of finance... I would contact the 'celebrity' Hubby and let him know his Good name is worth more than the 3000 dollars wifey is trying to cheat you out of.
12-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest a variation of Gooshin's idea.
Tell them you just got in a new leak prevention coating and as soon as you get the rest of what they owe you you'll apply for free.

12-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Sounds like the Wife is the minister of finance... I would contact the 'celebrity' Hubby and let him know his Good name is worth more than the 3000 dollars wifey is trying to cheat you out of.
Gus , this was my first thought but he is somewhat reclusive and there are gaurd dogs (litterally and figuratively) between me and him. The guy really is/was famous , saw him on tv talk shows when I was a kid.
As far as a lien , it's complicated because the boat is not federally documented and our state laws require the boat to be on my property to lock it with a mechanic's lien. I am investigating options so I can't say a whole lot more yet.
12-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

20 years ago that's what I would have done but it get's me nothing and they will collect insurance . I'm way past my vengeful years, just want whats mine!
Even though it was a "cash job" it would have been too big to hide. No intentions of cheating the tax man. I've been told that the gov. watches small businesses like mine closer than they watch the big corps.
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Gus , this was my first thought but he is somewhat reclusive and there are gaurd dogs (litterally and figuratively) between me and him. The guy really is/was famous , saw him on tv talk shows when I was a kid.
As far as a lien , it's complicated because the boat is not federally documented and our state laws require the boat to be on my property to lock it with a mechanic's lien. I am investigating options so I can't say a whole lot more yet.
The way I read THIS ( 44A‑3. When lien arises and terminates.), it only has to be in your possession. See if you can come up with some excuse to get their permission to get back on the boat, then hand them another bill.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.
12-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the encouragement and support! I really am hoping that others will post similar stories so readers can learn from our unfortunate mistakes. For now I'm off to the accountants office with all my paperwork.
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Small Claims Court!
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

And people chide *me* for being capitalistically-naive.

The people who think the world *really* owes them a living, are sitting on a little pile and think it's great noblesse oblige to pay you a quarter what the work is worth. When dealing with the rich, get it up front.

Seriously, as a young kid shooing weddings, I'd end up working out cut rate prices for people nickel-and-diming me claiming they 'couldn't afford' this or that, and then they'd tell me the gig's at the fricking Park Plaza.
12-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Small Claims Court!
This would be a very viable option in Florida for amounts under $5K. It also goes through an arbitrator before going in front of the judge.
12-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And people chide *me* for being capitalistically-naive.

The people who think the world *really* owes them a living, are sitting on a little pile and think it's great noblesse oblige to pay you a quarter what the work is worth. When dealing with the rich, get it up front.

Seriously, as a young kid shooing weddings, I'd end up working out cut rate prices for people nickel-and-diming me claiming they 'couldn't afford' this or that, and then they'd tell me the gig's at the fricking Park Plaza.
Rml , please not a debate on this but I gotta disagree in part. Over the years I've worked for and gotten to know quite a few of the rich and famous. Drank beer with Major Leauge Baseball players including a Hall of Famer , taken rock stars fishing and partied in a penthouse at Trump Towers on the 4th of July. About 1/4 of my clients have alot more real money than the gizmos that are trying to stiff me. There are two types of people with money. The people with real money usually worked for it .They will negotiate but fairly and they will keep their word. Then there are the neuveau riche and "penny millionaires" these folks can be very annoying but that doesn't make them dirtbags. Dirtbags come in all sizes and shapes from all economic backgrounds. Give rich folks the benifit of the doubt , most of them are really OK.