12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

You're suppose to change the oil?

12-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You're suppose to change the oil?
I'm really not sure which side of consumerism you're *on* on this particular point, Graphics,
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm really not sure which side of consumerism you're *on* on this particular point, Graphics,
Heck I just add it when it's low is all. Next you'll tell me I need to change belts and plugs and stuff.
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Heck I just add it when it's low is all. Next you'll tell me I need to change belts and plugs and stuff.
Or that you're about to run out of gas? Tried it. Watched the leveraged SUV dealerships close. Dealt with the personal abuse. From you.

Keep driving, sport.

12-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

Or that you're about to run out of gas? Tried it. Watched the leveraged SUV dealerships close. Dealt with the personal abuse. From you.

Keep driving, sport.
What does this have to do with ANYTHING in this thread much less my posts?
12-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

i would have never thought of just dumping my oil anywhere.. how did that thought even cross your minds??

i guess all these kids cartoons played their role afterall

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCfCSfkLqQ[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXM9bj-WPU[/yt]
12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
graphicgr8s

Gooshin you have to remember we're older than you and times were different. Heck I probably have socks older than you.

12-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Gooshin you have to remember we're older than you and times were different. Heck I probably have socks older than you.
what does age have to do with simple cognitive process in judging what you can and cannot put into the ground and or water supply?
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Also, you apparently don't know when to change your oil, or where to dump it.

I have some pretty old clothes, too, but... On socks: The power is yours.
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Socks... you should see me underwear collection... um... maybe not.

The whole point behind the post was when my soon-to-be four year old was hell bent on helping me finishing a photographic/woodshop project. I was reluctant at first, be we ended up having a blast. It just brought me back to helping my padre out around the house when I was younger and the oil thing struck me as funny because that's what everyone did. It was common place. Anyways, here's the pic of our finished product - I'm kind-of proud of it...(Yes, that's a cigarette outlet on the left and it's usb 2.0 compatible.)
Attached Images

12-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

What does it do? It looks cool........
12-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a motorized barndoor tracker... a star tracker. It negates the turn of the earth and keeps stars still in your photograph (instead of star trails). I built it hopes to capture the geminids this weekend, but like the leonids it doesn't look like the weather's going to cooperate. A manual one can built for under $20 that will work fine for up to about 135mm. I used one for years until now.

Here's an impromptu picture I made last night of M31 - Andromeda... The alignment was a little off.
Attached Images

Last edited by Das Boot; 12-11-2009 at 07:27 PM.
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
graphicgr8s

Also, you apparently don't know when to change your oil, or where to dump it.

I have some pretty old clothes, too, but... On socks: The power is yours.
RML I was just jesting about the oil change, Thought that was quite obvious. Fact is I built my first 500+hp engine at 14. And designed the cam.
12-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #29
Inactive Account

So, when is someone gonna start getting nostalgic about polio?
12-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #30
Forum Member

RML I was just jesting about the oil change, Thought that was quite obvious. Fact is I built my first 500+hp engine at 14. And designed the cam.
Hmmm,At the age of 14 you built a 500 HP engine and designed the camshaft...
Can't help myself for wanting to know more of the details here..would you care to share and elaborate?Who ground the cam for you(I may know them)?Type of engine and cylinder head configuration(combustion chamber shape and volume and valve sizes and valve train components would be helpful).Cylinderhead info like port volume and shape,flow numbers(measured at specific valve lift increments on a flow bench would be helpful). Plus the cam configuration and type,hydraulic,solid lifter,solid roller,hydraulic roller or even mushroom tappet style.Don't forget other important info like lift,duration,separation angle,overlap and lobe center lines all needed and more to design a camshaft.What ratio of rockers and styles used?.Did you stagger your rockers(an accepted way to change a camshafts profile some)?It would also be helpful to know bore and stroke,rod length and assembled squish and static compression ratio of your engine.Also was this a naturally aspirated or forced air induction?Some info on your induction set up would be nice to know.Nitrous?an easy way to 500 HP for many...
At what RPM was the 500 HP achieved?Max RPM's you saw with this motor..
And just what was the intended purpose of said engine,street or race or both?

Having designed several myself and being an engine builder your statement cries out to me.I started at an early age also but had to wait till I was 30 to build my first 5000 HP motor(not a typo mistake...five thousand horsepower) from 500 cubic inches....
Although 500 HP today is almost so easy to do for experts and some novices considering the components available today off the shelf but most home brew motors fall way short.....
So considering all the variables in producing an engine that "really"produces 500 ponies what was it that made you want to decide at the age 14 to design your own when most camshaft manufacturers have such an extensive line-up available to meet 99% of the engine builders out there?Is there anything that you would know at the age of 14 that would trump a experienced camshaft maker/designer?

OH,almost forgot,did you measure the output of this engine?Dyno or track?Or was this just a "guesstimate"?

Not wanting to discredit your engine building ability here but making a statement that you deigned a camshaft for a 500 HP engine at the age 14 makes me want to call BS(not that it is impossible but just not probable) on this claim unless you can explain the specifics on the said claim...most camshaft grinders I know would discourage any major changes to accepted designs unless specific parameters are discussed and met as they have already seen most engine configurations.....

Also how long did it last?..........