Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How Many Of You Remember When...

... The final step in changing your oil involved using a shovel?

12-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ummm what?

I know what it (shovel + oil) involves, although I have no idea where this thread is going...
12-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same here dude..... You having a bad day? You need a hug? Whats up? Talk to us. We are here to help.........
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Remember? I bet there are plenty of dipshits who do that even today.

Jason

12-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Back then we didn't know any better , didn't realize the effects. Folks used waste gas as weed killer too. Hate to admit it but I used to go down to the railroad yard after hours and chage my oil over the storm drain when I was a kid. These days I'm pretty strong on recycling!
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
... The final step in changing your oil involved using a shovel?

First and last step actually.
12-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean dig a hole and bury it instead of pouring it down the sink?
I can remember when the town collected it and spread it on the dirt roads to keep down dust.

12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Call me an eco-pioneer, but, no. Apparently the same can't be said of the previous residents here.

Come to think of it, once I had to dig a pit and remove an oil pan to get some headers in, and I *still* didn't bury any oil.

(What, like I could get a steering box out? )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-10-2009 at 10:53 AM.
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Growing up as a kid in a pretty rough section of the Bronx (one of the five boroughs of New York City), I remember seeing some of the neighborhood guys doing what was commonly referred to as "a Bronx oil change". This consisted of positioning one or more of your front wheels up on the sidewalk, so that the oil pan was elevated over a sewer grating; the oil was then dropped directly into the sewer/storm drain.
The good part was that it might have killed the alligators.
12-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Growing up as a kid in a pretty rough section of the Bronx (one of the five boroughs of New York City), I remember seeing some of the neighborhood guys doing what was commonly referred to as "a Bronx oil change". This consisted of positioning one or more of your front wheels up on the sidewalk, so that the oil pan was elevated over a sewer grating; the oil was then dropped directly into the sewer/storm drain.
The good part was that it might have killed the alligators.
Well, at least in the Bronx, those drains are near a treatment plant or two, not that the East River wasn't notorious for looking suspiciously like an oil change, anyway.

I have to say, 'Jiffy Lube' is far from the worst idea ever, really. Changing your own oil was a good skill when it was considered to be something to pay skilled mechanics for, but really, by the time you dispose of it, you may as well hand some outfit that employs kids the twenty bucks. Only had one potential mishap, early on. "Thank you for the flush, but you do realize this vehicle had two drain plugs when I arrived?" *point at puddle.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-10-2009 at 12:05 PM.
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, at least in the Bronx, those drains are near a treatment plant or two, not that the East River wasn't notorious for looking suspiciously like an oil change, anyway.

I have to say, 'Jiffy Lube' is far from the worst idea ever, really. Changing your own oil was a good skill when it was considered to be something to pay skilled mechanics for, but really, by the time you dispose of it, you may as well hand some outfit that employs kids the twenty bucks. Only had one potential mishap, early on. "Thank you for the flush, but you do realize this vehicle had two drain plugs when I arrived?" *point at puddle.*
No one touches my car besides me, unless I can look over their shoulder
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, those were the good old days...

Chris
12-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
No one touches my car besides me, unless I can look over their shoulder
Hee. Apart from that among myself and my friends, it's often been an economic necessity to take that attitude. The oil change places really just made it much easier to have that done and not have to hassle with disposal and stuff, but I do generally try to be sure they did it right. Back home, a lot of my friends are at least amateur mechanics, though, (And for most of us, at least over some times in our lives, if you want a vehicle, you'd have to fix one up,) so I'd trust them, and presently, we have a little modern car where user-serviceable problems and maintenance are still pretty rare.

You can have 'oil change parties' and make the disposal and such proportionately less hassle, though, if you like the hands-on.

Sometimes I miss my big ol' truck, though. If something needed doing, I never needed a jack: I could just go underneath. It'd be hard to justify one now, though: it'd be a rare day when I could actually fill the bed with anything.
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I relish the opportunity to go under the car to give it a quick inspection with every oil change. I hate when I find things that need fixing, like the oil pan gasket I'm hoping is not really the rear main seal leaking...

Oil disposal is easy with about 10-15 old gallon oil and coolant jugs in the garage, and the station they put it in a few blocks away back when I was a kid
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I relish the opportunity to go under the car to give it a quick inspection with every oil change. I hate when I find things that need fixing, like the oil pan gasket I'm hoping is not really the rear main seal leaking...

Ech, rear main seals, that's one job I always despised. One which practically-demands to be done halfway, even if you know it's about the last thing you want to do halfway. And you have to scrape gaskets to find out. Blech.

Change the oil pump while you're in there, I say, if it's an old car. (This was always the deal with my guy-friends, they would bring muscles and lifts and something approaching a memory, I would bring long skinny fingers and say, 'We're changing the f'n oil pump while we're in here.' )

'

QuoteQuote:
Oil disposal is easy with about 10-15 old gallon oil and coolant jugs in the garage, and the station they put it in a few blocks away back when I was a kid

Hee. I remember the same thing. Gods know what the neighborhood gas station guys *did* with the stuff, but they encouraged my 'bad behavior.' Still, it was probably an out-of-sight-out of mind sort of thing.