Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #31
VAV

Desktop -1
Laptop -1
Smart phones - 2

Had a Dell PDA that I stopped using - too much hassle to carry around a pda and a cell phone.

A dead laptop that I havent gotten around to disposing off (how do i do that?)

12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote

A dead laptop that I havent gotten around to disposing off (how do i do that?)

12-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #33

there's 6 of so...

4 desktops
4 laptops
around 10 cellphones

thats it!
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

LOL.

(i) I think i need to reformat / erase the hard disk (ii) in NYC I am not sure if it is allowed to dump laptops in the bin... i need to find a recycling spot

12-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
Veteran Member

LOL.

(i) I think i need to reformat / erase the hard disk (ii) in NYC I am not sure if it is allowed to dump laptops in the bin... i need to find a recycling spot
I dont think you should dump it in the bin as it's quite the environmental hazard and the parts can be recycled. There are recyclers that can erase the data for you as well (remember just formatting / reinstall OS doesnt cut it!). I looked up some services in Canada but I end up wanting to sell mine on ebay

As for me
1 SFF PC
1 netbook
1 laptop (going to ebay)
1 cellphone (doesnt connect to the net, just purely phone and text)

Pretty modest... Not thinking of going Blackberry / iphone anytime soon.
12-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL.

It would be well to find out where you can dispose of 'E-waste.'

In NYC, there may well be a repair shop or shadetree computer-fixer who'd take it off your hands for parts or whatever, as well, which would be even better. If you're worried about data security, they probably know how to wipe the hard drive but good, as well, or hand it back to you.
12-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my setup:

Attached Images

12-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #38
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I dont think you should dump it in the bin as it's quite the environmental hazard and the parts can be recycled. There are recyclers that can erase the data for you as well (remember just formatting / reinstall OS doesnt cut it!). I looked up some services in Canada but I end up wanting to sell mine on ebay

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It would be well to find out where you can dispose of 'E-waste.'

In NYC, there may well be a repair shop or shadetree computer-fixer who'd take it off your hands for parts or whatever, as well, which would be even better. If you're worried about data security, they probably know how to wipe the hard drive but good, as well, or hand it back to you.
Andi , RML, thanks. I need to drag myself out (in this weather) and take it to a repair shop / recycling center - it has been dead for a couple of years now and I keep putting this off - just adds to the clutter in the house.

Andi - thanks for the suggestion regarding erasing data. I was under the impression that I could get away with reformatting the hard disk. I will google how i should erase the hard disk.

Best wishes,
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I have 2 desktops hooked up and running. Since my daughter is home from college, her laptop is also connected. I have 4 desktops ( 2 that run ) in the cellar. I have another older laptop dedicated to auto repair with the Mobydic/Digimoto OBD II scanner and software. Of course everybody has cellphones. I am not a big phone fanatic. I think they are annoying intrusions on my life and my cellphone stays off most of the time. I'm still using a Star-Tac.
12-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Andi , RML, thanks. I need to drag myself out (in this weather) and take it to a repair shop / recycling center - it has been dead for a couple of years now and I keep putting this off - just adds to the clutter in the house.

Andi - thanks for the suggestion regarding erasing data. I was under the impression that I could get away with reformatting the hard disk. I will google how i should erase the hard disk.

Best wishes,
Well, reformatting would help, but not make you 'safe.' Someone could still recover the data, or a lot of it, anyway, with the skills and the effort. You're taking your chances no one will find it or get hold of it, who could and would bother to do so. I once trashpicked an old 3.1 laptop which had people's mental health records on it. I deleted them. Someone else might not. (Though what they'd exactly *do* with such files, I dunno.)

I'm pretty sure that when you reformat, it doesn't clear the data, just marks what's there as to be overwritten freely, as if it's not there. Someone more computery could go into details, there.
12-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Here's my setup:
Nice !!! Acoustic Coupler 300 baud .... I remember those and have used one to connect to the mainframe back in the day haha
12-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Dave ... I was going to say "don't laugh, thats how I started"... my first setup was a TRS80 (a model 3 I believe) with an accoustic 300pbs accoustic modem... was nice to call the local BBS's.

Pat
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #43

1 Desktop
3 Laptops
1 Xbox 360
1 Mail/Web Server
3 Web/Smartphones

and a bunch of other various things
a plethora of music equipment

Last edited by flockofbirds; 12-23-2009 at 01:02 PM.
12-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I thought you were asking how much coffee I'd had...

Then I started feeling smug at my electronic restraint... until I started thinking about it. Oh dear...

Between the two of us:
3 laptops: his, mine, and my old one that I use occasionally (screen hinge is loose, so it has to be propped up on something)
2 desktops: mine, unused for five years, haven't bothered to figure out what to do with it; his, one of the first Macs, kept as a museum piece
3 external HDs: two mine, one his (it's the HD out of his dead laptop)
2 scanners: 1 colour, in occasional use; 1 b&w, needs to be disposed of
2 b&W laser printers: 1 in use, 1 non-usb that is therefore unusable with any of our current computers
2 cellphones: 1 mine, used rarely (I dislike phones, cellphones particularly); 1 defunct that in theory can call 911 in an emergency, lives in the car with a power adapter.
1 landline, providing painfully slow rural dial-up
1 Blu-ray/DVD player
1 LCD TV used exclusively with the Blu-ray to watch movies - no cable!
a baffling bank of stereo equipment (pre-amp, amp, tuner, two Sony 400+CD jukeboxes, tube SACD/CD, some other boxes... lots of little glowy lights, anyway...)
more remotes than devices, or so it seems

Not to mention a couple of GPS units, and the various cameras, of course. Where did all this junk come from??

Julie
12-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #45
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice !!! Acoustic Coupler 300 baud .... I remember those and have used one to connect to the mainframe back in the day haha
But Dave in our day it was still a rotary dial phone! And if I remember correctly it printed out on paper no monitor.