Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have anybody ever had bidders drop out at the last minute?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It's really strange sometimes because I recently sold a item on eBay awhile back and I was investigating how there were 3 drop-out bidders in the last minute before the auction ended. Has anybody ever had something like this happen to them? It seems as if someone would bid at a very high price so nobody would want to outbid them, then they would back-out at the last minute taking back their bids and then it drops to the final price of something lower.

12-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The same person probably also bid the "something lower" bid and won the item (under a different user name). Summa summarum, he/she got it for less than if he/she hadn't jacked the price up and then retracted the inflated bid.
12-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The same person probably also bid the "something lower" bid and won the item (under a different user name). Summa summarum, he/she got it for less than if he/she hadn't jacked the price up and then retracted the inflated bid.

It's like shill bidding in reverse.
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wouldn't that same user have the same shipping address and EBAY doesn't moderate this?

12-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Wouldn't that same user have the same shipping address and EBAY doesn't moderate this?
They could have different shipping address etc. verified or not.
12-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ebay's customer service sucks. I've had nut jobs request my personal information after winning and call me. They'd give me an unbelievable story, wouldn't want to pay through Paypal, want me to drop ship to a lumber yard a 100 miles from the confirmed address, drag it out a week or two. I'd finally email eBay's customer service and it would say I'd hear back within 72 hours... They even took two weeks.
12-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This is called bid shielding. If you're unhappy with the final price - have eBay investigate... Here's their page: eBay Investigations

If anything, you can get out of selling it without harm.

12-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
This is called bid shielding. If you're unhappy with the final price - have eBay investigate... Here's their page: eBay Investigations

If anything, you can get out of selling it without harm.
How many times did you get burned?
12-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
How many times did you get burned?
I've never gotten burned. I've been inconvienenced a number of times. Non payment, Nigerian scam (I was asking for it), you name it. Second chance offer has become my friend over the years.
12-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ugh if I would've known I Wouldn't have shipped the item already. It's a bit too late now but oh well, next time someone shield bids, then I'll have them investigate.