Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I once spent a week in northern Finland during January.

It was cold.

But probably the most cold i have experienced was when there was a crack in my helmet as we were snowmobiling (in Finland) the cold wind literally felt like someone was slicing my cheeck with a scalple, i yelled out in pain and had to stop and fix up the visor.

12-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
that's chilly - assuming no wind as the wind chill will free exposed skin almost instantly at hose temps ... but I would rather have -40 than +40.
As an aussie in Caanda i respectfully disagree. The thing is, when it's cold (as in Canada cold) to do even the simplest thing is an excercise in frustration. I just wanna hop down the road and pick up some potatoes frm the grocery store.

I need long pants, thick socks, beanie (hat), gloves, parka, defrost the car if driving, boots if walking, ear muffs if walking et cetc .

Just to take out the garbage is a 10 minute excercise in prepartion. If it's 40+ you just grin and bear it but you can nip in and out of the house, not to mention that at night or evening you can sit outside with a beer, right now I have been trapped indoors for a week.

Now the Xmas break is coming and yipdty do i have a week off, sensational ... bloody freezing cold.
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
we did get out yesterday went to the mall
Since the photo lab I'm working in is in Kelowna's biggest mall I'd rather be out in the cold this time of year
The holiday season is just nuts at work.

I would rather have -40 than +40.
not me, but then again if I didn't like the heat I wouldn't be living in the Okanagan.
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Since the photo lab I'm working in is in Kelowna's biggest mall I'd rather be out in the cold this time of year
The holiday season is just nuts at work.

not me, but then again if I didn't like the heat I wouldn't be living in the Okanagan.
haha - I love the heat but for me +40 is exessive heat and given the extereme I would prefer exessive cold - now a cool 25 - 30 by the ocean and I am good to go....

12-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Different strokes for different folks.
A dry 40 deg heat is actually quite bearable.
It's when the humidity creeps in that there's no reprieve...
Taff, you can't complain - Perth has typical Mediterranean weather patterns with the odd heat wave.
SE Qld, Adelaide, Melbourne and the top end get smacked by the desert heat coupled with moist air systems to create a natural sauna - and for us in Toowoomba, we don't even get any rain to show for all the heat and humidity!

But I can't imagine what it would be like in sub-zero temperatures when there's a failure in the home heating system.
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Different strokes for different folks.
A dry 40 deg heat is actually quite bearable.
It's when the humidity creeps in that there's no reprieve...
Taff, you can't complain - Perth has typical Mediterranean weather patterns with the odd heat wave.
SE Qld, Adelaide, Melbourne and the top end get smacked by the desert heat coupled with moist air systems to create a natural sauna - and for us in Toowoomba, we don't even get any rain to show for all the heat and humidity!

But I can't imagine what it would be like in sub-zero temperatures when there's a failure in the home heating system.
Here's my dear wife cleaning my car before she heads out to work .......

12-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I can't imagine what it would be like in sub-zero temperatures when there's a failure in the home heating system.
Most people I know of living in the colder parts of Canada have a backup heater, so it's rare that they get too cold. Although it may be a small elecrtic heater confining them to one room.

I imagine that several people here would let you stay at their place for a short time, if you want to experience some cold.
I'm probably living in the best region, if you like beautiful beaches, nice hot summers, and snow in the hills during the winter.
Although it was chilly last night, -15.C. It's -13 right now, however it rarely drops below -10.

12-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is whatever you are use to for sure. I have been in Tampa , Florida at a hotel right next to ocean in September , I stepped outside and I might as well have jumped into a shower. I think the temperature was only around mid 90's F but the humidity was unbearable, I would take a -40C here over that any day.

Backup heater yeah most of us have space heaters and or fireplaces so in a pinch it will do. Extended periods of time without the furnamce working in extreme cold will lead to a whole other set of home reapir issues.

I have also been in Arizona desert (between Palm Springs and Phoenix) and it was well over 100 (also been in Vegas in July just over 100). While that is a much drier climate still outside was stifling.

So I guess +40 with AC and -40 with a furnace and Fireplace is all comfortable

I guess my point was preferring -40 over +40 would pertain to being outside. I can dress for -40 there are only so many clothes I can take off for +40 Leaving with either extreme for extended periods of time is not for anyone I would guess.

Suppose to be +2 here Friday a 50 degree C change in a few days ...impressive what

I usually get to Stu's area evey July and indeed beautiful country and almost always between 25-35 with lots of Sun

Last edited by daacon; 12-14-2009 at 02:00 PM.
12-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

It's one thing about if we do get back up to the Northwoods: there will be a completely non-grid-dependent source of heat available in our house, ASAP. Pellet or wood stove. Sweetie may be a Finn, but I'm built for more maritime climes, and the chill goes right to my bones if I'm not moving. I'd croak.
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
graphicgr8s

There is no such thing as cold. It is only less heat. Let's be scientifically accurate to some degree.

Lack of heat below 65 degrees US is just plumb freezing. How do you people live in sub 65 temperatures? It's uncivilized I tell you.
12-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
There is no such thing as cold. It is only less heat. Let's be scientifically accurate to some degree.

Lack of heat below 65 degrees US is just plumb freezing. How do you people live in sub 65 temperatures? It's uncivilized I tell you.
Volia ..........

Name:  EnInnenPresse1_2005-06_DSC_3688.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  134.3 KB
12-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
graphicgr8s

Y'all are nuts.

Hey Dave you're getting mighty close to that 10,000 post mark buddy.
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Insulated houses heated with district heating, thats the way to go.

Water carried heat in radiator with a central taking heat from district heating (90% of all in my town, 110 000, gets there heat from 2 biofueled powerplants producing some 350 Megawatt of hot water when its at its coldest)

District heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #29
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Insulated houses heated with district heating, thats the way to go.

Water carried heat in radiator with a central taking heat from district heating (90% of all in my town, 110 000, gets there heat from 2 biofueled powerplants producing some 350 Megawatt of hot water when its at its coldest)

District heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well here in the US we have almost the same thing. Except ours is fueled by hot air from the District of Chicago area. Enough HA to heat the entire planet.
12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Years ago, the only thing we could get on the internet at work was weather.com and for fun we would usually look at Mt. Washington in NH. It was almost always shitty. I just now looked and it wasn't as bad as usual... It would normally be something like -30 degrees F with 60 MPH wind gusts and a wind chill of -95 degrees... Nice weather. Mt Washington holds the record for the highest wind gust in the world at 231 MPH.