Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #151
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
'The Road' (09) Didn't find the ending all that striking, but I quite enjoyed the rest of the movie.

08-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Earlier tonight, I cuddled with the wife watching a double feature of The Notebook and The Secret Life of Bees.
Both not bad for drama and human interest. Love lost, tear jerkers to a small degree and a lot of history. I liked the second better than the first because of the story line and photography of South Carolina. Beautiful country.
08-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #153
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
'The Road' (09) Didn't find the ending all that striking, but I quite enjoyed the rest of the movie.
really?!? I was so happy I resisted the temptation and didn't go to cinema for this. I would have asked for refund.....
08-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #154
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Law abiding citizen..... Holy &^%*!
want to see this one...

08-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
really?!? I was so happy I resisted the temptation and didn't go to cinema for this. I would have asked for refund.....
For a film supposedly so "bleak" it was basically Disney Goes Post-Apocalypse. And it's another fine example of a motif I am fond of spotting: Gratuitous Use Of Dogs In Film. Especially gratuitous as all animals are supposed to be dead!
08-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Law abiding citizen..... Holy &^%*!
a Promising movie that turned into a bad one due to the ending. I always hated Jamie Foxx's unbelievable roles in the movies.
08-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #157
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
For a film supposedly so "bleak" it was basically Disney Goes Post-Apocalypse. And it's another fine example of a motif I am fond of spotting: Gratuitous Use Of Dogs In Film. Especially gratuitous as all animals are supposed to be dead!
I hardly noticed that. It wasn't quite a Mad Max film, but I was satisfied with the dark side of the story. I hate Mel Gibson with a passion, and The Passion, but I generally love/am interested in post apocalyptic movies.

08-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I generally love/am interested in post apocalyptic movies.
Me too, though I can't claim to have seen all the B and C-grade Mad Max rip offs. I would also exclude all the countless zombie or "mystery virus as excuse for mayhem" films. Favourites in this genre would include:

Five [1951]
The World, The Flesh And The Devil [1959]
The War Game [1965]
A Boy and His Dog [1975]
The Quiet Earth [1985]
08-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #159
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Me too, though I can't claim to have seen all the B and C-grade Mad Max rip offs.
The important thing is that you have had a Mad Max experience
08-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #160
axl
Veteran Member

Angels and Demons... rather liked it!
08-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #161
Veteran Member

The important thing is that you have had a Mad Max experience
Oh yes, I watched the films as they were first released. The look then was quite distinctive but had turned to schmaltz by the third instalment.
08-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #162
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
a Promising movie that turned into a bad one due to the ending. I always hated Jamie Foxx's unbelievable roles in the movies.
Agreed.

LAC was an example of, "We can sell these idiots anything."
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Angels and Demons... rather liked it!
I actually like that kind of movie, but I didn't like it as much as 'The Da Vinci Code.' (Which I didn't expect to like,either, with all the faddishness about it. But movies driven by history and symbol rather than baser motives are... Fun. I even love the National Treasure movies. (Again, the first one more than the second.)

Last one for me: 'District 9.' I think it was pretty good. At least if you're in the mood for it. Which I wasn't so much, really. More like in the mood for about a pint of BenGay.) Seems a bit draggy at the beginning, but it kind of pulls together.
08-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #164
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I actually like that kind of movie, but I didn't like it as much as 'The Da Vinci Code.' (Which I didn't expect to like,either, with all the faddishness about it. But movies driven by history and symbol rather than baser motives are... Fun. I even love the National Treasure movies. (Again, the first one more than the second.)
I agree, it wasn't as good as The Da Vinci Code. And for one, I'm fan of these kind of movies too..Have both parts of National Treasure, and like you I like 1st quite a bit more than second. But my favourite so far is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
08-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #165
Veteran Member

But my favourite so far is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
this has always been the one I considered the best among the Indiana jones movies. I liked the historical/biblical references from Nazi Germans (the Hitler autograph was just too funny), the ancient maps and puzzles, the Crusades or Templar and the holy grail. not to mention having to know more about the personal life of the protagonist.

speaking of movies regarding puzzles, adventure, and action, Lara Croft would be a good one. although I may sound bias since I like the game even before they made it into a movie.