Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Well, how did it go? Is this JC's next big block buster?
I just tried going right now but the tickets were sold out, so I bought the later ones and will come back later tonight. I'm hoping this movie is worth it. I'll tell ya how it goes if you haven't watched it already.

12-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #32

AVATAR!!! awesome eye-candy! If only it exists and i can bring a camera there...
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I just tried going right now but the tickets were sold out, so I bought the later ones and will come back later tonight. I'm hoping this movie is worth it. I'll tell ya how it goes if you haven't watched it already.
My brother saw it with his girlfriend as says it is off the chain! He wants to go see it with me again..... when he sees a movie twice, it is a good movie, at least to me anyway. We both are into Sci-Fi......
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just finished watching and WOW! I have never seen anything like it, the CGI was incredibly well done, I've never seen a CGI movie near the same quality as it. It was super long too but it never left you bored. If you're going to watch it, I highly recommend watching it in the IMAX theatre, I watched it in IMAX with the huge screen and 3D goggles and it was awesome.

The storyline is not up to par with Lord of The Rings or Star Wars, it's still very original but I just felt the storyline wasn't as good of a quality as the CGI. The story is not as good as it could be and although original, is missing many elements that makes it as good as Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings. Overall it was still really fun and the experience is once in a life-time. The movie is filled with emotion, during some parts you feel really sad and some parts you are happy. The CGI was just incredible.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-20-2009 at 11:41 PM.
12-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yea, I heard the storyline aint that great but JC was trying new technology and it seems to have paid off..........
12-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say less than 10% of movie releases interest me, and they're never the top draws.
I am by no means a film snob, but there's just so much crap out there now...

Chris
12-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd say less than 10% of movie releases interest me, and they're never the top draws.

Chris
I agree with you a lot. I think Yes Avatar was a good movie, the CGI was top notch but the storyline wasn't that great. Overall it did not deserve the top 25 spot it received at IMDB at all.

But yes it was a good movie to watch and it was fun to watch overall, and the CGI was mind blowing and we have never seen anything like it before, but what got me a little angry was people just blowing this out of proportion and rating it higher than better movies like City of God, Heat, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, etc. I wrote this on IMDB boards and I am going to post it here. Avatar was good to watch but overall it was just missing character development and storyline development. I am only comparing how I see American children now days and not elsewhere in the world because I live in the US right now and I don't know how other countries are like.

QuoteQuote:
The storyline in the movie avater does not boast this movie to be top 50 in IMDB, hell it doesn't even deserve to be in top 100. The CGI was beautifully done but the art of a movie is about the story. Children now days are being bombarded by movies that are complete trash; when they see a movie that is decent, they tend to go overboard on the ratings and think it is one of the best movies ever made without seeing beautiful movies generations before it. Maybe they did see the movies that were made generations before it, only to choose poorer movies over it due to the increasing idiocy of today’s societies.

Just like Star Wars or Lord of The Rings? Give me a break! Sure this movie was original and they did create Pandora from the ground up, but it was nowhere close to true gems like Star Wars and Lord of The Rings, these movies were executed excellently, unlike Avatar who had original storyline that had minimal elements compared to SW and LOTR with storyline being executed poorly. Truth is Avatar's CGI have drawn it's today's watchers away from it's generic storyline with cheesy scenes, and they've done so EASILY just by looking at the ratings people gave it here on IMDB.

Transformers 1 and 2 are terrible films. Its financial success scares me and I worry for the future of the film industry, our country, and the American people. Children of today are generally stupid. They have no taste whatsoever, which is why Paris Hilton and awful movies gets attention. Today most movies are aimed at tasteless kids. All these horrible remakes and movies in the past 9 years prove this generation is the worst without a doubt.

People who enjoyed the Transformers 1 and 2 incompetently describe of why they liked it. They say that it’s good action and there’s nothing wrong. Well the most pathetic movies should receive is 5 out of 10, that is at MOST.

All of Michael Bay's films are just Hollywood money flicks based on and made for the average IQ people in America accommodates today. The ones who pay to watch Transformers and actually enjoy it as much as watching Pulp Fiction is such a silly thing. Not saying that you’ll need to be intelligent to enjoy a good film. It’s just that movies today are so terrible that it shouldn’t take a person with an IQ of 80 to realize the flaws of Transformers 2.

It's so hard to find a good movie now days. The ratings on Dark Knight are one great example showing how the average American analyzes a movie now days. Highly overrated Dark Knight receiving top ten in IMDB is just ridiculous. Dark knight is a good movie, but being able to boast such a spot is humiliating for the many great movies that top it.

Dark Knight shows that there are very few good movies made in this generation, and Dark Knight being one of the "best" based on scores shows society truly lacks intelligence today. Obviously those who rated Dark Knight as if it were best haven't seen the greater movies that were made 10, 20, 30, and even 50 years before it. Movies that are generations before it have topped these "top" movies of today by a ten-fold. IMDB has lost its credibility when it had been invaded by children of this generation, the children of this generation who have poor taste in not just movies, but in music and clothing alike. Dark Knight being in top 10 is absolute proof of the generations that are failing in America, and making any argument trying to state otherwise as obsolete.

Now that people are getting less smart, movie directors are starting to eat and nap more while working. They believe they don't need to use at least half of their brainpower to create a movie that the people of today will like. Why try when there's no point? Why try making a better movie when there is a barrier blocking decent from good, why spend more brainpower to produce a higher level of story when people will just blow it off as decent like any other decent movie out there. Americans are generally lazy nowadays and have no brainpower to see significant differences between decent, good, and superb. Therefore there is no point of making a good or superb movie when decent is as much as people will see.

If you want to see a gem of a movie, here are my recommendations. Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Goodfellas, American History X, Requiem For A Dream, City of God, Heat, The Departed, Schindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, No Country For Old Men, Taxi Driver. Sure these aren't popcorn flicks, but if you want to see one, just make sure it actually has a solid and consistent story with a good execution, and well built characters.

12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No, you are a film snob... and no problem with that!

I agree that the mass market releases are almost never good. Problem is, since "indie film" became a category, most of those are junk too. (I blame Sundance!) They are simply being made for a different marketing category. And any film that is made for marketing reasons is bad to begin with.

Despite my sometimes hermetic existence I have seen some very good recent films. For SF check out the disturbing Los Cronocrimenes and the cute Moon -- excellent acting and soundtrack, and a proper SF film unlike most of the rubbish marketed in that genre.

And what did you think of Let The Right One In? Or Synecdoche, New York?
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And what did you think of Let The Right One In? Or Synecdoche, New York?
Wasn't directed at me, but these are two of my favorites from the last couple years.

Also Reprise, from Norway.
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Avatar was truly spectacular. Easily worth the (gulp) $13.50 I paid to see it.
12-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #41

And man was is great.
04-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
And man was is great.
'Avatar' was a great movie, but it won't get my 5 stars.

I watched 'Where the Wild Things Are' yesterday and quite liked it, despite it's a kids movie.

I just finished watching 'Final Destination 4'. Sometimes I crave a movie that needs no intelligence to understand. This was one of those times. Hard to sit through this one. The original one wasn't half bad but this one was terrible.
04-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
'Avatar' was a great movie, but it won't get my 5 stars.

I watched 'Where the Wild Things Are' yesterday and quite liked it, despite it's a kids movie.

I just finished watching 'Final Destination 4'. Sometimes I crave a movie that needs no intelligence to understand. This was one of those times. Hard to sit through this one. The original one wasn't half bad but this one was terrible.
Saw that one 3D in theatres Almost walked out because it was so bad... All there were was gore and blood.

I saw The Runaways just a few days ago and it was insane! It was just me and an old granny couple in the theatre watching, it's pretty new too. The amount of drug use is a ton... by a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds alongside with masturbation and some sexual scenes.
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Saw that one 3D in theatres Almost walked out because it was so bad... All there were was gore and blood.

I saw The Runaways just a few days ago and it was insane! It was just me and an old granny couple in the theatre watching, it's pretty new too. The amount of drug use is a ton... by a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds alongside with masturbation and some sexual scenes.
I suppose the excess violence is to distract you from how shite the movie actually is. I've seen quite a few movies that try to do this. The people that make these films must know that what they are producing is utter crap. I've seen movies that are more or less based on violence and were not bad movies, although the violence in FD4 was extremely distasteful.

Sounds like you really shared a moment there with granny. Man that sounds reeeaally uncomfortable.. LOL

Sounds like that movie 'Kids', which is pretty darn hard to watch. So, is 'The Runaways' recommended?

Cheers
04-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Runaways is a lot different than Kids in many ways, I would recommend it, I don't think it's as bad as Kids because there are really no actual hardcore violence involved, just mainly drug-use and the outcome of it; If you've seen Requiem For A Dream, it's not as hardcore as that but it's still pretty hardcore and is rated R. From pill-popping, heroin snorting, smoking a joint, drinking lots of liqour, and not knowing what the shit is going on around them, these 14, 15, and 16 year old's all did that. It's based off a true story of a all-girl rock band called The Runaways that didn't last very long, I know it sounds kind of chick-flickish but it's really not.

Some of the best extremely hardcore movies I've watched that makes you very emotional at the end are City Of God (Cidade De Deus), American History X, and Requiem For A Dream. Definitely recommend those.

Last edited by LeDave; 04-13-2010 at 11:25 PM.