Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We just saw 'The Dark Knight,' cause it was in our Netflix queue. Guess I wasn't in the mood for that sort of thing, but I did get around to seeing it.

One thing I notice lately is like half the people under thirty I have encountered in the past couple weeks get a whiff of my accent and are like, "OMG! Have you seen Boondock Saints?!"

I'm like, 'Was I supposed to?'

Ah, Watchmen before the Batman one, though, that was it, (we must have been thinking of superheroes) ...That was actually better than reviews said. Somehow lacked the ominousness of imminent nuclear holocaust, but was otherwise true to the comic. (Maybe it had something to do with having read the comic in times of imminent nuclear holocaust, I dunno. )

My Neighbor Totoro, definitely on my favorite movies-for-kids list, Gus.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
12-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Since it's the season, I watched White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. Two of my favorite cable channels have to be AMC and Turner Classic Movies.

Larry
Love that movie!! It's on Christmas Eve too!
12-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Since it's the season, I watched White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.
I do hope you have seen the "original version", Holiday Inn, a superior film, IMO. And the film that the song "White Christmas" was written for. The firecracker dance sequence is astounding.
12-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #19

"Inglorious Basterds" was a pretty amusing movie...

12-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Family movie night --- My Neighbor Totoro
Totoro is/are so cute! From Studio Ghibli we've seen "Howl's Moving Castle", "Spirited Away" (truly strange), "Castle in the Sky", "The Cat Returns", "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaä" (great one!).

My favourite is maybe "Kiki's Delivery Service", which has a lovely sense of whimsy.

But beware of the extremely powerful "Grave of the Fireflies", one of the saddest films I have ever seen! Well worth viewing but know what you are in for.
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #21

Zombieland

by far, one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm not a movie person...just never have been able to sit still that long for many movies, yet I do enjoy most of what I have seen when I do.
My all time favorite is The Good Bad and Ugly....it is long and it is just a Western type movie, but not the common brand, it has a little of everything mixed in and is somewhat historical and somewhat real. I have it on DVD and watch it every so often.
The last walk in movie I saw was The Passion of the Christ....I took my youngest son's oldest son to see it....very excellent.
Regards

12-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hrm. We don't get to many movies in the theater, ourselves. Tends to be expensive, and I'm not always in a condition to sit still that long.

When we go, it's usually something I'm either very anxious to see and/ or just looks like it'll take full advantage of the big screen. This tends to mean it's such things that are more 'Hollywood spectacular' than my usual favorite fare. We saw the latest Harry Potter this summer, or whenever it came out... and I think something else, oh, Star Trek, of course. I can't remember the last 'serious' movie we went out to see, since this Beatles-based rock opera that turned up in our community theater back up North.

I'm looking forward to 'Agora,' though, and hoping they don't cut too much out for the American market. (Hypatia's kind of a personal heroine of mine. )
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Probably gonna see Red Cliff and Avatar (in 3D) this weekend.
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Heh. You know, I've been disregarding the hype, given the Yule season and barely keeping up, actually going to see that hadn't occurred to me. But it's potentially-interesing. Definitely movie-like, I should think.
12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm not expecting the world out of it, but it should be a spectacle worth seeing + at least enough entertainment for 2.5hr.
12-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm not expecting the world out of it, but it should be a spectacle worth seeing + at least enough entertainment for 2.5hr.
I'm not a picky movie-viewer, nor am I inclined to harsh on things. If someone goes to all that trouble to try and entertain me, I do my best to cooperate.
12-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm also planning to watch Avater, possibly tomorrow. I heard a lot of good things about this movie but we'll see how it turns out.
12-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Red Cliff was excellent for what it was. Highly recommended if you like the whole historical epic thing.
12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I'm also planning to watch Avater, possibly tomorrow. I heard a lot of good things about this movie but we'll see how it turns out.
Well, how did it go? Is this JC's next big block buster?