Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Situational awareness.
2. Look like you belong there.
3. Speak softly and carry a .45 auto.
4. A companion in the form of a German Shepherd Dog would discourage a lot of bad guys with evil thoughts.

Last edited by Workingdog; 02-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.
12-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks you guys, lots of good advice. I will try to be confident. That is something I am not very good at lol, I tend to lack confidence in a lot of things in life =/ For the gun, maybe I should carry a BB gun around? =P
Seriously , you should sign up for a basic self defense course. It will help with self confidence on many levels. Like I said earlier it's not gonna make you Bruce Lee , (That takes a lifetime of training) but it will help your mind set and probably be alot of fun too!
As for the gun , don't even think about it . Never carry unless you know how to and are prepared to shoot!
BTW seems like alot of folks agree about Situational Awareness, thats for good reason!
12-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks you guys, lots of good advice. I will try to be confident. That is something I am not very good at lol, I tend to lack confidence in a lot of things in life =/
Well, don't pay attention to the gun-nuts, here, they don't even know what you *would* want to carry in the city if you had to. (There's a lot of reasons cops and soldiers and other professionals don't carry hand-cannons around: macho gun-fan BS could get you or someone else killed.)

Just scare tactics and watching too much TV... leads to fantasies that 'Going to the city means getting mugged or worse.' Most of all, don't believe that hype: it suits political interests but won't help you out there... Common sense will get you a lot further: for one, don't go far from *help.* These dudes will try and tell you it's all about 'threats...' (Or even that you're walking into a den of 'dangerous liberal criminals' () Big armed men afraid of riding the light rail with the grannies... Come on, boys, places like you obviously fear to tread unarmed have often been *my home.* )

Downtown Minneapolis per se, is actually fairly mall-like in a lot of the places you're likely to see, if you don't go out of your way. Much of the rest is officey. Then you've got various college-town-like neighborhoods scattered about, generally along the major thoroughfares. It's actually a really nice place, one of the few bigger cities my sweetie is in the least interested in us moving to.

Too darn cold for people to be out looking for random trouble, anyway.
12-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
'Well, you are wise there.....in a group of those "gun toting liberals" you would quickly end up as target practice. Very unlike your boy Dickie that is a responsible gun toter and only shoots lawyers. Or maybe your boy that murdered the abortion Doctor....in a Church....you real proud of his gunmanship, are you? I'm glad you don't own a gun, and hope you won't ever get one, if and when you grow up. Regards'

Just check the party affiliations in your local jails if you doubt that liberals are no danger to you. It's a matter of tracking the odds as to where you will more likely get mugged or worse. Maybe just ask someone in law enforcement. That would be thier business. Reality is a bitch ain't she?

I don't do church and I don't know your Dickie and do not advocate murder/life taking unless it's a due course death penalty.

Some stats on Obama Town:
Crime in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may care to check out this site which compares a good number of US liberal holy sites and bastions to Baghdad. Go ahead and discount it by 50% if you want too.

Back Talk: The Murder Rate in Baghdad
Well, you are the one that insinuated that it is liberals that are the dangerous ones when it comes to gun ownership. Your boy Dickie was not so careful, and if you don't know Dickie you are too uninformed to be on the net without your Mama helping you type. I assume since you "don't do church" murders there by right wing fanatics don't count? That is typical right wing wingnut logic, and one reason why you guys are still in the lowest poll numbers in history as a party. As for Baghdad, there is no wonder the murder rate is lower...they have already used up all their ammo killing each other in the past eight years of "gaining democracy", George Style. But....given the choice of walking around freestyle all day in Baghdad or Chicago, only a fool like you would pick Baghdad...and then refuse to actually carry through with the deed, because while you are good at "talk" you are pathetic at practicing what you preach. Wanna take the offer? I'll sponsor you a nice tour around Baghdad on you own.......
Regards!

12-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If you act like a victim, you have more chance of being a victim. If you act like you're meant to be there people will take less notice of you. I'm not talking about being aggressive or over confident, I'm just talking about getting yourself in the right frame of mind.
This is spot on...As a person who goes on about 5 street walks a week and averages 4-6 miles per walk and goes to some of the most dangerous places in L.A. along with some not so dangerous, and the outer city limits, this advice from the Damn Brit will serve you best...The last thing you want to do is sneak around....When I walk, I have my keys jingling from my pockets on purpose so people will hear me coming. Some will notice and some will not...If you want to do true street photography, be prepared to get cussed out here and there on occasion. Don't be naive to think you won't ever get robbed either...Be as gentle as a lamb, but wise as a snake...Learn to see what the shadows tell you, especially as it gets dark and at night...They are your friend...Be friendly....Carry a business card as well...When I get approached, I hand out one with my name and email on it and it puts people at ease right away....Stay away from using a telephoto lens as it will give out a creepy vibe..Get personal with your subjects....And in worst case scenarios, be ready to run and or fight... I prefer to run. In all seriousness, most people want their picture taken, they just don't know it yet. ..Take a peak at my blog for some examples. Look in older posts as well. and my smug mug

Last edited by jgredline; 12-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.
12-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

A few years of weightlifting, a few more years of martial arts training and a rock solid confidence works most of the time (though looking like an unfriendly mean mofo also helps a bit ).

But seriously as others mentionned it's mostly all about confidence... feel and look like a victim, become a victim. Scum can almost sniff you out. Look and feel confident and sure of yourself and few people will mess with you. Scum prefers an easy prey.

As for the comment about the BB gun, NEVER! Pack a real weapon and know how and be ready and willing to use it, or do not carry a firearm. Never pretend, it's an almost guaranteed lethal escalation that can get you killed.

Personally when going in really rough areas (yes there are some pretty bad areas in Montreal), I carry "dog/bear" grade pepper spray (human grade pepper spray is illegal to own here) and a steel extendable police baton. I am trained to use both.

Depending on the laws in your locality, you may want to consider carrying pepper spray/mace/tazer as a non-lethal alternative. If you do, get some training on how to use them properly.

Pat
12-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
In all seriousness, most people want their picture taken, they just don't know it yet. ..
That just reminded me of something that happened to me a couple years ago. I was out at night taking photos of the city. As I was packing up my gear someone approached me who was obviously intoxicated and a bit aggressive. He wanted to know what I was doing there. I told him I was taking photos of the city. He asked if I was a professional and was my gear expensive. I told him I was an amateur and used low end camera gear. After a few more words he walked away and I headed to the incline station to ride back to the bottom of the hill. As I was waiting, he turned up again. I was beginning to get a little concerned when he asked me if I would tale his photo and show it to him. He looked and asked me to take another and posed for me. He seemed quite pleased with the results.

12-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
That just reminded me of something that happened to me a couple years ago. I was out at night taking photos of the city. As I was packing up my gear someone approached me who was obviously intoxicated and a bit aggressive. He wanted to know what I was doing there. I told him I was taking photos of the city. He asked if I was a professional and was my gear expensive. I told him I was an amateur and used low end camera gear. After a few more words he walked away and I headed to the incline station to ride back to the bottom of the hill. As I was waiting, he turned up again. I was beginning to get a little concerned when he asked me if I would tale his photo and show it to him. He looked and asked me to take another and posed for me. He seemed quite pleased with the results.
I had something similar happened to me in Minneapolis one time a long time back when I went with my friend who just came back from training in Camp Pendleton. I was in Minneapolis probably not too dark and not too bright, but it was getting dark, almost 7PM but it was still bright because it was summer.

I walked past this guy who had a lot of tattoos all over him and he looked like druggie gangster kind of guy who appeared to have just finished a conversation with some other Hispanics gangster-looking guys on the street.

He went up to me afterward when I stopped to take photos of this really neat fountain. He didn't talk at all, he just mumbled and mumbled but he couldn't talk like he had no tongue. I was scared shitless because he obviously looked like a gangster, I didn't know what to say and said asked, "Huh? Do you want me to take your picture?" since he was pointing at my camera.

He shook his head as a sign of yes. I took some pictures of him and it appeared he was throwing up some signs, he had a blue shirt on and a blue rag on. He was throwing up a bunch of signs, I'm not sure what gang he was in but I'm sure it's not your everyday Crips. I am sure it's some sort of Hispanic gang. After I was done he went up to me and tried shaking my hand, he held his hand out. I was scared shitless because it had dried blood stuck on his fingernails. I didn't want to shake it but I didn't want to do anything stupid, I was scared shitless because he looked like a gangmember.

My friend was probably scared too although he was a Marine he didn't do much besides back further away and stared while I was being stared and mumbled down by this scary guy. I felt like it was the best to shake his hand, so I did and he held it pretty damn tight, he squeezed it pretty hard. After the handshake I slowly backed away and said sorry I have to go. He went up to me again and held out his hand and mumbled at me again, now I was really ****ing scared. I didn't know why but I didn't run which was stupid of me. I really thought he was going to snatch my camera. I shook it again and this time I walked away after saying thank you to show respect and hope that he doesn't try to do anything.

It was back when I Had my first DSLR camera, the Pentax K2000. I sold it now already but I didn't keep any photos because they were all all too blurry, I should of kept them anyways but I didn't. I was a pretty big noob back then and didn't know how to fully function the DSLR camera, and I totally forgot about the pop-up flash either, and that's probably why. Guess the camera hunted a few times to try and focus also.

Of course nothing bad happened that day but I was scared not for me, but somehow for my camera. I was scared for my K2000 lol. But I washed my hand afterward and good thing I didn't get any diseases or anything out of it, I mean it was dried blood on his hands! He had a cigerate in his mouth, he had tattoos all over his arms, had blue shirt and blue rag. It was pretty scary. I didn't know why he didn't say anything but mumbled, I saw him talking with some other gangsters earlier but I guess he didn't say much when he went up to me.
12-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I had three young punks try to carjack me in Ft Worth a few years back. I had pulled in to a convenience store in a bad part of town (not smart) for a pack of smokes ( not smart either, I quit four years ago). When I came back to my wife's Maxima, three of them were standing by the car demanding my keys. I asked them where their weapons were and they said they didn't need no F'n weapons to take my keys. I told them that was too bad because I brought mine and pulled out one of my 45 Colts and cocked the hammer.....eyes like saucers and they could have won an Olympic race that day.
You do it your way, and I will do it mine. I'm too old to fight, but I am a damn good shot at 10 feet or less and with a 45 hollow point, their is not enough evidence left for anyone to investigate what happened.
Regards
12-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

This is spot on...As a person who goes on about 5 street walks a week and averages 4-6 miles per walk and goes to some of the most dangerous places in L.A. along with some not so dangerous, and the outer city limits, this advice from the Damn Brit will serve you best...The last thing you want to do is sneak around....When I walk, I have my keys jingling from my pockets on purpose so people will hear me coming. Some will notice and some will not...If you want to do true street photography, be prepared to get cussed out here and there on occasion. Don't be naive to think you won't ever get robbed either...Be as gentle as a lamb, but wise as a snake...
I'd say 'quick as a rat, and as as reticent to show how quick you are.' Urban totems. Frankly, you're more likely to get flattened by the sheep than jumped by a snake, but there we are.

QuoteQuote:
Learn to see what the shadows tell you, especially as it gets dark and at night...They are your friend...Be friendly....Carry a business card as well...When I get approached, I hand out one with my name and email on it and it puts people at ease right away....Stay away from using a telephoto lens as it will give out a creepy vibe..Get personal with your subjects...
*Meet* people. (Once you get used to the raw stimulation of a city, that is: no sense doing *that* in high-risk areas on some weekend jaunt before you even know how to cross the street. )

QuoteQuote:
.And in worst case scenarios, be ready to run and or fight... I prefer to run. In all seriousness, most people want their picture taken, they just don't know it yet. ..
I've told you before, you are in *LA,* Jgredline: Everyone wants to be a star, there. *Particularly* in the Upper Midwest, this is not always the case. In winter, if anyone is being picturesquely-Skid Row in Minneapolis, if they don't get up, it's cause they'd lose too much heat to give you a hard time about it.

I know you do nice things for homeless people, there, Jgredline, but don't push that missionary safari attitude, OK? It wouldn't wash in Boston, except among those willing to play 'saved' for supper, and in the culture of the Upper Midwest, 'shunning' is serious and lethal business. People like your usual subjects will tend to feel *shunned.* It's not sunny Cali, that way, for street people, that's for sure. If you want to photograph in even a middle class-neighborhood in that region, you kind of have to establish some trust. It takes *time.* Don't assume 'people want it.' (Some do, but there's a few of those in any crowd.)
12-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No problem Rat. Your the expert.
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #42
Veteran Member

No problem Rat. Your the expert. -rolleyes-
Hey, not saying it wouldn't possibly have been fun to meet you in stranger times. What's with the 'rolleyes,' though, Mr. Great Compassion?

Dude's just wanting to walk around Minneapolis, and half the board here is pretty uselessly trying to arm him for the OK-fricking-corral.

As you mockingly say, 'Expert?' Maybe not. Maybe not. Some points of view just don't leave you, though, no matter how fancy a rig you might be sporting, or how nicely you can dress yourself up.

Have walked the place the OP would like to go.

K?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-19-2009 at 08:59 PM.
12-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Instead of a monopod perhaps a snow shovel with 1/4-20 tripod screw. Also, don't forget layers of warm cloths. I just got back from Indianapolis. I was going to get some night shots of the carriages and coaches around Circle Center but it was too cold. I didn't have scarf gloves etc with me.
12-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Instead of a monopod perhaps a snow shovel with 1/4-20 tripod screw. Also, don't forget layers of warm cloths. I just got back from Indianapolis. I was going to get some night shots of the carriages and coaches around Circle Center but it was too cold. I didn't have scarf gloves etc with me.
Actually, if there *is* deep snow in play, I do suggest those 'shooting sticks' mostly made for shotgun hunters: the OP knows the climate well enough, but the camera *will* be in play much more if there is bracing. When it's cold, or harder to walk, there's always a *lot* of reasons running through your mind to not even bring the camera to bear. There's these cheapie sticks even at Wal-mart, you could use one and just leave it for someone to find, if you don't want to keep it.

One thing about snowbanks in the city is, they do tend to want to become some kind of icy sluice. A stick is in fact good.
12-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, if there *is* deep snow in play, I do suggest those 'shooting sticks' mostly made for shotgun hunters: the OP knows the climate well enough, but the camera *will* be in play much more if there is bracing. When it's cold, or harder to walk, there's always a *lot* of reasons running through your mind to not even bring the camera to bear. There's these cheapie sticks even at Wal-mart, you could use one and just leave it for someone to find, if you don't want to keep it.

One thing about snowbanks in the city is, they do tend to want to become some kind of icy sluice. A stick is in fact good.

"Shooting Sticks"?? Do they come in 12 gauge Ratlady? I might be interested in one of those myself. I see where that could sure add some self confidence on those scary streets...sort of a human SR system?
Regards!