Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, not saying it wouldn't possibly have been fun to meet you in stranger times. What's with the 'rolleyes,' though, Mr. Great Compassion?

Dude's just wanting to walk around Minneapolis, and half the board here is pretty uselessly trying to arm him for the OK-fricking-corral.

As you mockingly say, 'Expert?' Maybe not. Maybe not. Some points of view just don't leave you, though, no matter how fancy a rig you might be sporting, or how nicely you can dress yourself up.

Have walked the place the OP would like to go.

K?
Like I said Rat. Your the know it all. You have all the answers. Having read some of your posts. I know where your heart is and so I will not waste my time with you. Take care.

12-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LeDave, there's some good advice here posted by others. If I may add my $.02....

- Turn off your TV, specifically the 24 hour news. It's not as bad out there as they would want you to believe. Fear draws viewers, boosts ratings and sells advertising. Forums like this often amplify that fear to hysterical levels.

- Wait until Spring, it's too cold out there. Work on your macros. Indoors. It's warmer.

- Walk before you run. Don't stroll down the grittiest neighborhoods in town until you are ready. Start with street fairs, downtown civic spaces and such, where being seen with a camera isn't unusual. The first nice Spring day, when people are happy to be outside in the sun may be a good day.

- Don't use a monster zoom. Use a compact DA70 or something similar. It can also make you a better, more thoughtful photographer.

- Melt into your surroundings. Find a place you want to shoot and hang out there a while. Don't start shooting until you yourself have become part of the scenery. Find an outdoor cafe and sip a coffee for a while, watching the light and the scene unfolding before you.

- Smile. Enjoy yourself. Put yourself in a situation/location where you can do that. Give off a good vibe.
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another situation where a great pocket camera would be a better choice...

Chris
12-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't read the entire thread, so if this has been suggested already, my apologies for repeating things. From someone who has walked many miles day and night in Galveston and Houston, here are some suggestions that I abide by and/or keep in mind.

1. A pocket knife. Keep it somewhere that you can easily reach it. The bottom of your camera bag is not one of those places. Keep it as a last resort self-defense. Nobody wants to go to jail. In the event that you are in danger, be quick and don't be afraid to use it. If you do pull it out, don't show it off. Use it. Then run like hell.

2. Anything can be used as a weapon to protect yourself. Tripod, a rock, trash can, a pencil, etc.. Even, a full can of coke. The lip around the top of the can will destroy someones face.

3. Alertness. Keep your eyes moving. Keep track of who's around you. Don't want someone sneaking up from behind, grabbing your camera, and running. If you have a bad feeling about someone on the street, walk away. Trust your gut feelings. If they follow you, enter a store where there are people.

4. Don't look nervous. Don't look suspicious. Don't act like a hard-ass. Having trouble getting your confidence up? Find someone with a dog and say hello. Compliment them on the dog and ask if you can take a picture of the dog. Chances are that the majority of the time, they will let you take a picture of pooches, because they loves their pooches, yes they doooo...

Who cares about pooches, or the picture you just took. You made contact with someone and used your camera in the street. See, it's not so bad.

5. Oh yeah, the crackheads and prostitutes are easy to spot. Don't even bother going near them. It's usually more trouble than it's worth. Even if they don't pose any danger, they will talk your ears off about nonsense.