Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need advice - Copyright photographs

A friend of mine and I are looking to put together educational presentations for various technology-related topics via a website.

In the presentations, I would need to use pictures - ie. a photo of a router.

Thing is that there are a ton of pictures I'll need but can only find the images I require online, usually through a google image search.

Because the photos are industry specific and I doubt I'll be able to buy the items myself and take photos of everything (cables, inputs, hardware... etc.)... I'm kinda stuck!

I don't want to steal copyrighted images for my presentations, but is there any way around it? Could I potentially take an image and "cartoonify" it in PS3?

Any help for getting around copyrighted photos or a source for free stock photos that would be tech related would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

12-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure there are enough people with computers and such that could probably take pictures of their equipment for you. I have a modem and router and hub (someplace). If you let me know what you need, I can take some for you.
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
I'm sure there are enough people with computers and such that could probably take pictures of their equipment for you. I have a modem and router and hub (someplace). If you let me know what you need, I can take some for you.
Wildnskyo, thanks for the offer! That's very kind of you; however, we're looking to put together bunch of presentations and I'm curious to know how I would be able to facilitate something like that (over Pentaxforums.com?)
12-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

12-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #5

Help:Public domain image resources - Meta

Scroll down- there is a long list of links to collections of public domain images.
12-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
A friend of mine and I are looking to put together educational presentations for various technology-related topics via a website.

In the presentations, I would need to use pictures - ie. a photo of a router.

Thing is that there are a ton of pictures I'll need but can only find the images I require online, usually through a google image search.

Because the photos are industry specific and I doubt I'll be able to buy the items myself and take photos of everything (cables, inputs, hardware... etc.)... I'm kinda stuck!

I don't want to steal copyrighted images for my presentations, but is there any way around it? Could I potentially take an image and "cartoonify" it in PS3?

Any help for getting around copyrighted photos or a source for free stock photos that would be tech related would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
"Cartoonifying" or post-processing any copyright protected image is not buch better than using it right away. If you need product shots, simply send an email to the PR department of the companies, whose products you want to shows and get the images mailed or an press account to their image ressources. Should not be a problem for educational purposes of any kind, though I musst confess, that especially US companies are extremely slow and complicated, when it comes to press requests.

Ben
12-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The timing is definitely an issue as we would need a ton of different images and logos.

For example, trying to explain how Bluetooth works without the logo will diminish a huge degree of familiarity a potential user may have with a Bluetooth device.

Thanks though, any other tips are welcome

12-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Damn Brit

If you are planning on making these training exercises part of a commercial enterprise it's probably best to get permissions for anything and everything. Even if it's not a commercial enterprise, companies might still take offense to images being used and they have full time lawyers.

If time is an issue, tough, find another project. Better to be safe than sorry.
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, the work around is using photos I have taken or somebody who's given me permission to use has taken.

Here's two scenarios:

1. I take a photo of a motorola cable modem and use it in a presentation

2. I take a photo of an iPhone and point out the bluetooth logo, denoting that it is "on".

In either situation, do I need to black out the Motorola or Bluetooth logo if I took the picture?