Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New Facebook Scam

Well, I just got an email that purports to be from a member of this forum to me.

I looked it up and it's a Facebook scam. I hate Facebook. I am demolishing my unused profile today. Don't be surprised if you get one of these. I have not seen Rosemary around for some time, but I'll get word to her as well.

=================================

Hello,
How are you?I hope fine.I`m writing this with tears in my eye,sorry I did not inform you about my trip.I actually made a quick travel to London and unfortunately attacked and mugged at gun point on the way to my hotel.Infact,I am stranded here because all cash,credit cards and cell phone were stolen from me.As I am writing this email from the hotel cafe,which is my sole means of communication now.Please I`ll really appreciate if you could do me a favor by loaning me the sum of £1,200 pounds so that I can pay for my hotel bills and get back home.I promise to refund it as soon as I return home.

Receiver's name :Rosemary Taglialatela
Address: 134-136 Lexham Gardens Kensington, W8 6JE, United Kingdom..Please as soon you make the transfer please do send me the full details of the transfer including the senders full names,location of transfer and the mtcn number.I'll be waiting on you at the Hotel lobby for your mail.

Sincerely,

Rosemary Taglialatela | Photographer

Doylestown, Philadelphia, PA - MD, NJ, PA, NY

Studio 215-918-1171 | Mobile (856) 220-1371

Business/Art Photography

Wedding Photography

Proofs and a gazillion photos

Pentax Corp gallery

12-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Scams like these are poping up all of the internet. It requires one to be internet savvy to recongnize it is a scam; anyone who asks for money who is not a spouse, parent, child or relative is immediatly supicious. And usually family will call or text for finacial assistance and if they do use the internet, they had better have a way to reached outside of the web.
12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Dom

Your quite right it's a load of BS.

I get about 4 fake facebook password reset emails a day, it only take a tiny percentage of people to reply to these sort of things for it to work. If I'm getting 4 a day you can guaranty that there a hundreds of thousands a phishing emails going out. I do laugh sometimes when I get one of these emails going to my none facebook email addresses.
12-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Rosemary Taglialatela? Sounds tasty.

I have no idea why these scams work on the net, when, clearly, they wouldn't work in real life. You walk up to anyone, in person, and ask for 1200 quid, they're not going to say yes.

I'll never understand why an anonymous email seems more credible.

12-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You got a scam note so you're quitting Facebook? How about just not sending the 1200$?

Did you quit email when you started getting scam/spam?
12-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Rosemary Taglialatela? Sounds tasty.

I have no idea why these scams work on the net, when, clearly, they wouldn't work in real life. You walk up to anyone, in person, and ask for 1200 quid, they're not going to say yes.

I'll never understand why an anonymous email seems more credible.
Thee is and old saying......"there is a sucker born every minute" one of those famous circus guys said it, PT Barnum, or Bailey.................
12-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It was Barnum.

I wonder if that's the difference between a Digital Native and a Digital Immigrant.

When faced with an communication from an unknown source, the Native is extremely sceptical of any pleas for help, the Immigrant grants benefit of the doubt.

12-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep and that's the problem. Taking advantage of Digtal Immigrants who have nice hearts and an open wallet is what these scammers are all about. Yea they will send hundreds or perhaps thousands of these same said e-mails hoping to catch a few..........
12-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

See? Email scammers were way ahead of the curve with crowdsourcing.
12-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Woof, create a totally fictitious e-mail account just to have some fun with. Then send an e-mail back telling them you have sent the money c/o the U. S. Embassy and all she has to do is show her passport or prove her ID to get it. LOL

It reads like it was written by someone who is not a native English speaker. But someone will fall for it and unfortunately it's usually the people that can afford it least.

CW
12-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Its obvious that it is a hoax right from the first few lines. She claims to have been robbed at gunpoint in London. That is not possible as it would have been illegal for a bad guy to have a gun on the street in London. Great Britain has the toughest gun laws in the world.
12-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Its obvious that it is a hoax right from the first few lines. She claims to have been robbed at gunpoint in London. That is not possible as it would have been illegal for a bad guy to have a gun on the street in London. Great Britain has the toughest gun laws in the world.
LOL! I almost gave my monitor a coffee bath on that one
12-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Great Britain has the toughest gun laws in the world.
From what chain email did you get that?

Last edited by lithos; 12-19-2009 at 08:10 AM.
12-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
From what chain email did you get that?
I'm I'm a conservative, I prefer facts:

8/07 Gun Ownership Vs. Murder Rates
It turns out that in nations where guns are less available, criminals manage to get them anyway. After decades of ever-stricter gun controls, England banned handguns and confiscated them from all permit holders in 1997. Yet by 2000, England had the industrialized world's highest violent crime rate -- twice that of the U.S. Despite the confiscation of law-abiding Englishmen's handguns, a 2002 report of England's National Crime Intelligence Service lamented that while "Britain has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, [i]t appears that anyone who wishes to obtain a firearm [illegally] will have little difficulty in doing so."

WikiAnswers - What country has the strictest gun laws

NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws, Culture, Justice & Crime In Foreign Countries

Gun Control Isn't Crime Control - ABC News

Gun politics in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NRA-ILA :: England: Unarmed and unsafe

How many more referncses would you like?
12-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Dom

Great Britain has the toughest gun laws in the world.
I'm I'm a conservative, I prefer facts:

8/07 Gun Ownership Vs. Murder Rates
It turns out that in nations where guns are less available, criminals manage to get them anyway. After decades of ever-stricter gun controls, England banned handguns and confiscated them from all permit holders in 1997. Yet by 2000, England had the industrialized world's highest violent crime rate -- twice that of the U.S. Despite the confiscation of law-abiding Englishmen's handguns, a 2002 report of England's National Crime Intelligence Service lamented that while "Britain has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, [i]t appears that anyone who wishes to obtain a firearm [illegally] will have little difficulty in doing so."

WikiAnswers - What country has the strictest gun laws

NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws, Culture, Justice & Crime In Foreign Countries

Gun Control Isn't Crime Control - ABC News

Gun politics in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NRA-ILA :: England: Unarmed and unsafe

How many more referncses would you like?
Your are correct we do have some of the tightest gun laws in the world but it'a ridiculously easy to get hold of a pistol. If you want facts just look up the news articles related to gun crime in the UK.

Gun crime | Home Office

Ok it's not LA but it's a common enough thing here in Blighty. We've had a problem with black on black gang shooting in most of the big cities.