Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Flickr Blackhole

Hello all,

I am sure everybody is aware of the situation, but maybe I will be the first one to verbalize it. Flickr site is gobbling our precious image data, whenever I try to gather information I see image is not available warning instead of the image..

I am new to fkickr and just uploaded coupla pictures, so I am not sure know why those images are lost. Maybe owner of the images has to login to flickr to keep images available or they just delete images and so on so on. but the results is we lost a lot of precious data with flickr.

Maybe we should ask to flickr not to delete data from their databases and owner f to photos attach here not to give a link to flickr site.

I've just wanted to express my disappointment from lost flickr images, maybe someone will come up with more informative information and suggestions.

12-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you smoking?

The pictures aren't lost. Either the owner deleted the picture; deleted their account; or replaced the picture (breaks existing links).

Flickr is not an archive, it's a photosharing website. Try reading the FAQs there and post in the help forum (Flickr: The Help Forum) there. They can actually help you there, rather than venting on a random forum.
12-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The problem may be that the owner changed the permissions on the photo (changed from "public" to "private", for example, or made it available only to family/friends). This causes the file name Flickr uses in their database to change. Restoring the permissions does not restore the file name, by the way.

Several of my posted photos in the Takumar Club thread display as "no longer available". The files exist on Flickr and were never "lost". I changed the permissions and that caused the HTML for linking/displaying the image to become invalid.
12-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Damn Brit

So express your disappointment on flickr? WTF has it got to do with us? Do you think we can do anything about it?

12-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
So express your disappointment on flickr? WTF has it got to do with us? Do you think we can do anything about it?
Gary, I thought your Mod powers extended into every corner of the internet. I also think that those shades in your avatar shot indicate X-men/Cyclops-like eye-beam powers when you take them off. Are you telling me that these things are not true?
12-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Gary, I thought your Mod powers extended into every corner of the internet. I also think that those shades in your avatar shot indicate X-men/Cyclops-like eye-beam powers when you take them off. Are you telling me that these things are not true?

It's probably because I didn't write the post as a moderator, I was in my Clark Kentish just another member guise.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-20-2009 at 12:34 AM.
12-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess I found the confession, (link below) this should state users should simply find a safer place to store their pics For instance here this forum.

I am simply tired&sick of "tadaa! image unavailable - fickr" picture. Currently flickr is mostly a unstable scam. Or CIA/FBI collecting pictures from flicr for easier checking of internet peoples pictures. (Ok little conspiracy theory wouldn't hurt)

From page:
Flickr: Help: On the Flickr website

Q: The site is acting weird! Things aren't saving... photos are missing... what gives??

A: A basic explanation is that we have lots of databases running Flickr, and if an individual machine gets overwhelmed, updates can fall behind. These are the main symptoms of weirdness:

* "This photo is unavailable"
* Tags you've just entered not coming up
* Comments you've just made not coming up
* Editing a comment gives a "bad link" page instead of the error
* Trouble confirming your email address
* Posts to groups not working
* Contact's recent photos not updated or out of sync
* Changing title/description on your photos

Even though it's confusing, the updates you are making around the place do work (mostly sub-second actually), it's just that there's a short delay in them showing up.

Unfortunately, this particular problem is compounded when people see that their comment hasn't come up, and try to post it again, and then again... so, if you see this sort of behavior happening, the best advice we can give is just to leave it for a while and then come back. There's no need to post things again - your data has made it through, even though it doesn't look that way.

We're continually working to make Flickr as stable as we can. We hate it when this problem pops up... probably more than you!

Last edited by cbaytan; 12-20-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: correct typo
12-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You bet, just think a little bit. Or even just complaining wouldn't hurt is it? Informative Feed Back is a Feedback anyway, especially on internet.

Last edited by cbaytan; 12-20-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add info
12-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
You bet, just think a little bit. Or even just complaining wouldn't hurt is it? Informative Feed Back is a Feedback anyway, especially on internet.
Is there any kind of feedback system on Flickr?
I've never used Flickr but it does seem that people have mixed feelings about it, some find it useful, some hate it.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-20-2009 at 03:47 AM.
12-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can... Are you talking about photos you've posted going missing or about photos from other users that are not there any more?

If your own photos, then you have a valid gripe but should take it up with Flickr. No one on PF can help you other than to commiserate...

If other people's photos, then the explainations already given apply.

Mike
12-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Can... Are you talking about photos you've posted going missing or about photos from other users that are not there any more?

If other people's photos, then the explainations already given apply.

Mike
Except few tests I don't own any photos in *s*lickr scam.
U r right, but not only here, all Internet is full of "images is unavaliable" slickr warnings that makes me truly mad.. Except those people removed their pics already.
12-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Except few tests I don't own any photos in *s*lickr scam.
U r right, but not only here, all Internet is full of "images is unavaliable" slickr warnings that makes me truly mad.. Except those people removed their pics already.
I really don't think that flickr is the only service that has ever caused photos to go missing. In fact most of the images in my posts for the last 3 years have broken links. My hosting service was sold and the URLs have all changed resulting in broken links. None of my photos were lost, it's just that the links are now invalid.
12-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I really don't think that flickr is the only service that has ever caused photos to go missing.
Yes, others too, but my observation is almost 80% pics gone into flickrhole.
12-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've been on Flickr for about a year, never had a problem with much of anything. I also have Pbase, which displays much better and gives you more control and options, and it has never let me down, even when it crashed a while back, all my photos were safe.
You can find problems anywhere you look, it is not a perfect world for sure....just ask my wife...she will tell you all about it! LOL!
Regards
12-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Voigtlander COLOR SKOPAR 20mm F3.5 SL II Aspherical (KA)

I am posting my new KA mount 20mm color skopar samples.

wide open f/3.5:

f 5.6

Name:  0flick-shit.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  2.9 KB

f 11

f22

Just joking. We are all used to this, aren't we?
Closed Thread