Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-7 came from the local store here in Victoria. It was $100 less than what the internet could offer and no shipping. They took care of registering it and if there is an issue, I can drop it off and they will deal with Pentax. Sometimes dealing with them costs too much, but even if it was $100 more, I think it is worth it.

Besides, if I don't support them, where will I drop off / pick up medium format film!!

12-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
My K-7 came from the local store here in Victoria. It was $100 less than what the internet could offer and no shipping. They took care of registering it and if there is an issue, I can drop it off and they will deal with Pentax. Sometimes dealing with them costs too much, but even if it was $100 more, I think it is worth it.

Besides, if I don't support them, where will I drop off / pick up medium format film!!
That kind of thing is better, I think, than letting camera stores turn into just 'overpriced outlets.'

Photo retail in America has suffered the most from a few chains Starbucking the institution that was the local camera shop. When they relied on processing and cheap student labor, this seemed to work out for a while, but the fact is that in the process they simply created a generation of people who'd never think to go to a camera store.

It's the little stuff. I always had that battle with management when I was working in such a store: they'd be wanting to get rid of the 'unprofitable' drawers full of step rings and filters and adapters, and I'd be like, "This is our tool box. If people walk in here and we solve their problem for five bucks, they come back. If we send them uptown chasing some silly little thing, it doesn't matter how tidy and modern we look: they leave frustrated and don't come back."

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-26-2009 at 12:30 PM.
12-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
they'd be wanting to get rid of the 'unprofitable' drawers full of step rings and filters and adapters, and I'd be like, "This is our tool box. If people walk in here and we solve their problem for five bucks, they come back. If we send them uptown chasing some silly little thing, it doesn't matter how tidy and modern we look: they leave frustrated and don't come back."
I'll say 'amen' to that.
12-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Inactive Account

You really have to raise your bullshit filter when doing anything involving money online. Raise it high. Any where that looks remotely dodgy, don't trust it.

But, as an Aussie Pentaxian, the stores down here don't do themselves any favours. Here's how it works.

"I'd like to buy a Pentax K-7."

"Er, Pentax? You want to buy a Pentax? Er, ok....lemme just look it up. Don't have it. Can order it in."

"How long wil that take?"

"'Bout two weeks...I think. Dunno when the delivery truck's coming next, we'll have to talk to CR Kennedy."

"How much?"

"Well, since it's not in stock, I'm afraid our 50% off storewide uber-stocktake ultra-discount-plus sale doesn't count for it, heh. So...$1899, that's just for the body. And you can't negotiate for cash. Sorry, we just never carry Pentax. If you care to shift your gaze to the Canon display we put up because we totally love their products and most definitely didn't all get free t-shirts and blowjobs from the sales rep, you might find something that'll suit your purposes..."

"One, I want a Pentax, to use with all my lenses I have. Two, you catalogue says, right here, under the '50% Off Sale!' banner that you have K-7s. Third, and most importantly, that's bloody expensive."

"Well, look, we've got to pay rent, staff costs, power, the local mob running the protection racket..."

"No, you don't. Not for this camera. You're just ordering it in. It's not taking up any in-store resources."

"I'm sorry, but that's just how it goes."

"Well, I'm sorry, but Digital Camera Warehouse is selling the thing online for that price...with a decent lens included, or for six hundred less, body only."

"Yeah...but...but...you have to wait for postage, and you can't try it before you buy, and you don't get the personal service."

"You can dwell on the irony of what you just uttered while I go home, fire up my browser, and save six hundred bucks, and get the camera in five business days. Good day."

12-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

God Lithos ... I really couldn't have said it better myself.

I do go to my local B&M camera store though for film ... and printing off other stuff ... but as for buying gear I haven't ... well accessories I may (filters/tripod, etc).

It is unfortunate ... and as the owner of the store said to me .. getting an item in through CR Kennedy can be difficult at times ... even though he does contact them regularly and is on good terms with them .... he said it came still take some time to get anything in that needs pre-ordering.
12-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Ironically, today I decided to go looking for a K-7, as part of a serious purchase.

Now, I like haggling, and most BM stores will let you negotiate a bit.

What I wanted to do was to, say, buy a 16-45 or similar with it - something better than the kit lens - and then, say, negotiate $100-200 or thereabouts off the price. Doable. Or the D-BG4 grip with the K-7, which would be awesome, and allow me to use the camera right out of the store.

Nope. I can get the body, maybe with an 18-55mm lens (either the vanilla version, the II version or the WR version, or even the f*cking Sigma version - it's an absolute friggin' lucky dip) and nothing else.

So I can't negotiate on shit they have to order in. And the sales don't apply for stuff they have to order. It's mostly to make Pentax more profitable for them...but of course it backfires, as people realise if you're gonna have to have stuff shipped to you, you might as well get it delivered to your home address...and cut out the middleman.

Oh, and one of the stores that's got the K-7 is trying to sell me the shop model ("it's not a demo model," is what they said, even though it's what you get if you ask to have a look at one. The only reason it's not, technically, a demo model is that they never demo Pentax cameras...most of the staff, frankly, were amazed the thing was in the display case.)

However, a few did say that more Pentaxes were moving.

They also said that because of that, they'll be getting more gear in.

Catch-22 if ever there was on...you've gotta move units to get on our shelves, and you can't move units until you get on our shelves.
12-30-2009, 03:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

However, a few did say that more Pentaxes were moving.

They also said that because of that, they'll be getting more gear in.

Catch-22 if ever there was on...you've gotta move units to get on our shelves, and you can't move units until you get on our shelves.
Definitely a Catch 22 right there ... you can't win really.

If i was in the market for a "new" lens ... I'd be purchasing from overseas ... mainly due to the crazy mark-up on lenses out here as it is.

Either that ... or stick to the Marketplace.

12-30-2009, 05:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have visited camera shop and frankly its a lottery when asking about Pentax,some who have a clue know of Pentax but stock of it will its vague at best.You get the sane message no in stock order takes blah blah etc,although I did get lucky with the 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma but since then its increased about 50% since I got it.Online may be our fault in the downfall of B&M but profits and middlemen are killing them

cheers