Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #1

I Miss "Brick & Morter" Camera Stores

Shopping online is an adventure at best. Yes, I know there are reputable dealers like Adorama and B&H, but I'm sure we've all been tempted by low prices. In the past week I've been victim to three "in stock - low price" ---> "out of stock" scams. Maybe I've learned a lesson... Anyway, I sure do miss "brick & morter" camera stores where I could handle the product before buying it.

12-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are not alone. I have at least a 50 mile drive to get to the nearest camera store. Every camera I have ever bought has been in a store. I like to at least see what I'm buying and handle it first.
12-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by BobInGA Quote
Anyway, I sure do miss "brick & morter" camera stores where I could handle the product before buying it.
The mantra for a lot of people was "... where I could handle the product before buying it ONLINE".

In large part, we the customers were responsible for the demise of B&M stores.
12-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Dom

Out of the four local camera stores I have only one caring Pentax. Because this one has got Pentax gear it's the one I got my K-7 (mainly because I had a chance to handle it) from and all the rest of my gear now.

12-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anybody who has ever made an on-line purchase is in some small part responsible for brick and mortar disappearing.
12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Anybody who has ever made an on-line purchase is in some small part responsible for brick and mortar disappearing.
NOT SO!

See An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
12-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
NOT SO!

See An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
I'd think a read of Smith would support the proposition, not contest it.

12-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I simply wouldn't take it that far. I just *can't* pay retail markup on major items. I *can,* however, use what I 'save' to support B&M stores in what capacity I *can.* I'd pay somewhat more to get my film, then when that got silly, chemistry, locally. Having managed a camera store franchise in my youth, it's enough people buying the consistent daily stuff that keeps things going, not the big-ticket sales. (I know digital has changed the landscape, here, but it's better to patronize them for what they can do well than occasionally beggar yourself to pay markup on inventory they don't even move very often.)
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The 4 used lenses, along with the roll of film I could only buy on-line didn't take away any business from local stores.

If they carried those same products I would have given them my $ instead.
12-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, R.I.P. Nassau Camera, Franklin Square Long Island...

Chris
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yeah, R.I.P. Nassau Camera, Franklin Square Long Island...

Chris
You still have Cameta Camera though.
12-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've got a couple of B&M stores here and I try to patronize them for the incidentals but they don't do Pentax (and I think that really is partly Pentax's fault)

I would miss them though: I'm still mourning the closing of the local fly-fishing shop--clearly a victim of big box stores and on-line commerce
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I would miss them though: I'm still mourning the closing of the local fly-fishing shop--clearly a victim of big box stores and on-line commerce
It's important to remember that just about *all* local retail suffers from the strip-mall economy: in fact, if Ritz and Wolf hadn't frozen or bought all the small downtown shops and McCamera Stored them, anyway.. there might still *be* a market for what local outfits could provide. Ritz basically *ate* the small guys, became inferior electronics counters, and then ate themselves.

Even then, it wasn't some crass and selfish 'customers not buying inferior products at inflated prices' that did them in, it was leveraging their near-monopoly on an ill-fated luxury boat accessories' business.

Certainly *that* chain can't blame Pentaxians for selfishly not going in there, being told by some kid 'Pentax is going out of business' and buying a lot of Quantaray kit zooms in Canon mount.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
12-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Luckily here in St Louis there are several camera shops, Creve Coeur Camera has several stores, and there is also Schillers. Creve Coeur carries Pentax gear, and Schillers used to, but not sure if they still do, have not been in there in a while. But I did buy my cameras online, if they had been within $50 of what the online prices were, I would have given them my business, but when i can save $150 buying online, I just couldn't pass up the savings.
12-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You can blame me for that. I never bought any real goods from a camera store. When I first got into photography I tried to support the local shops but I can't. Ever since a few bad experience I just can't walk foot into one anymore. I tried but I just can't. I think the most expensive thing that I bought at a camera store recently was the pack of b/w photo paper and 2 rolls of film combo back for about $25 when I was taking a film class.

Here are 5 reasons why I hate going to a B/M store and why I don't buy anything there.

1-In a big box store the sales rep don't know what they are talking about.
Personally I don't rely on the sales rep to tell me about the product, I generally know more about it then they do. What piss me off is when I ask for a product, don't tell me that it is not good and I should buy something else instead. Example was when I was planning to buy the K100D because it was on sale. The rep said I should buy a "real camera" instead like the Canon Rebel.
1b-Mom and pop store are extremely pushy because they work heavily on commission
I know everyone need to make a living but I really hate it when people try to up-sale me on stuff that they know damm well I don't need or sell me unbranded crap that I don't want.

2-They don't carry the product, they have to special order it.
Try buying a Pentax lens other than the stock 18-55 or the 55-200mm lens. If I went to the store to buy the product, I NEED it at the moment. If I could wait a week for them to special order it, I would of just bought it online and get it faster and cheaper!

3-They just don't carry the product period!
We've all experience this.

4-Price is too high
I don't mind paying a little more but 30-40% is a lot more.
5-Tax
30-40% + TAX on top of that.

Now that I also shoot Nikon, problem #2 and #3 is not as bad, but Problem #1, 4 and 5 is still there.

So no, I don't miss those B/M store. I have the same feeling about any electronic store or computer store as well.

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 12-25-2009 at 10:24 PM.