12-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Closed Account

The danger of sports photography

NHL Network Online: Puck'd Up Video

Ouch.

12-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! Bad luck. With all those holes it must happen reasonably often.

I've had to jump out of the way a few times as bodies come flying at me in a tackle or whatever, nothing major yet though.
12-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Wow! I bet that hurts. The worst thing I have ever faced is once when shooting overhead and Mama Festus fell out of the tree at about 75 ft up......She was fine, but left a crater that took two hours to fill in.....it could have been me! I am more careful now.....
Regards!
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aw Rupert she looks so soft....... you think if she had fell on your head you woulda been down for the count?

12-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Heh, I've got my own story to relate.

I was shooting my cousin's soccer game from the sideline. K10, tripod, and a tammy 28-200. I'm following the ball around machine-gunning away on the shutter, when the ball comes shooting across the field, and strikes my tripod on the leg. Yikes.

Everybody pretty much held their breath, and I shouted that everything was OK, and to keep on playing.

Tripod has a dent, but that's fine. I think it improved the stability of the tripod!
12-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The good thng is you was not hurt. Don't wanna see you with a dent!

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Heh, I've got my own story to relate.

I was shooting my cousin's soccer game from the sideline. K10, tripod, and a tammy 28-200. I'm following the ball around machine-gunning away on the shutter, when the ball comes shooting across the field, and strikes my tripod on the leg. Yikes.

Everybody pretty much held their breath, and I shouted that everything was OK, and to keep on playing.

Tripod has a dent, but that's fine. I think it improved the stability of the tripod!
12-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mindglow Quote
dangerous.. perhaps.. but you can get a free hockey stick

12-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
The good thng is you was not hurt. Don't wanna see you with a dent!
Well, it was a soccer ball. I was more worried if the ball came straight at the camera. It probably would have at least totalled the lens, and if my eye was at the finder, given me a black eye.

Next time I know to bring the bubble wrap for myself !
12-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When I was doing a lot of high school sports, I would occasionally get nearly-flattened. That was the big hazard, but since I'd mostly have the run of various fields, my favorite spots to set up would rarely be *really* in the line of fire. I can remember once taking a soccer-ball off my monopod, (embarrassing, but no harm done,) and really hitting the deck when about six hundred pounds worth of football players came jumping over me. (They apparently thought this was great fun once they realized I was OK. Didn't even disrupt the play. )
12-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I got blind-sided and flattened by a 300+lb lineman at a football game back in my college shooting days. I was following the ball and this bruiser got shoved out of bounds and right over me at full speed. I was out for about 5 minutes. No permanent injuries (to me or the MX) and no lasting effects other than learning how to shoot with both eyes open.

Mike
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I got blind-sided and flattened by a 300+lb lineman at a football game back in my college shooting days. I was following the ball and this bruiser got shoved out of bounds and right over me at full speed. I was out for about 5 minutes. No permanent injuries (to me or the MX) and no lasting effects other than learning how to shoot with both eyes open.

Mike
Glad you wasn't hurt Mike but as has been said before you look like a tough guy anyway with your avitar pic.......