Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank You Moderators!

I recently joined a forum to support another one of my hobbies; R/C flying.
When I hit the forum button I saw a pediphile had...... well you know..... posted pics...... I did not open the posts just saw the labels. Shocked I contacted the only other mod besides the webmaster. Today the webmaster says he is shutting down his site. He has had it with fighting spam and the pediphile posts were the last straw. He opened the site in 2005. Thank you guys for all you do to make this a clean site were we can share Pentax photagrapy and sometimes act like kids bickering with one another on GT!

12-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm sure I speak for the rest of the moderation team when I say that we appreciate your kind words.
12-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Thanks!

It takes a concerted effort to keep a ship of this magnitude sailing smoothly.
I'm really proud to be part of the crew!
But the real credit goes to our Captain - Adam!
I just help to swab the deck, but he's in charge!

We deal with spammers on a daily basis but thankfully Adam has place safeguards on the site so they are snagged before they get to post their rubbish. There's a lot of activity that goes on behind the scene that the average member never sees.
12-21-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks

While I may do a lot, your browsing experience wouldn't be close to what it is right now without the Moderators - they are indeed a wonderful help!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think I would have to agree with you Adam, it is a difficult task and they do seem to take it seriously and get the job done.
A couple of my Squirrels....Festus and Otis have been talking of joining this site and applying for Moderator positions. I trust that you will know better than to allow that to ever happen? I just wanted to mention it, so if those names appear in the form of applications to join the site, someone will hit the delete button. I enjoy this site very much, and so do many others, but those two Squirrels can ruin it in a heartbeat.......
Regards
Rupert
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree that this forum has the most appropriate and reasonable level of moderation I have seen.
12-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Even with the little snits that we throw on GT, I'm amazed at how smoothly everything runs here. Having been a moderator on another site where flame wars were quite common and quite vicious I understand how hard it is sometimes for mods to maintain control. Great job folks!

CW

12-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

what are moderators?

*notices the 5428 infraction PM's in his mailbox*

OHHH.. THOSE moderators....
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 cheers for the moderators here.

I seem to end up a lightning rod on this particular board, but I've seen a lot worse. And, it has to be on the order of six months since I've even seen advertising spam here, never mind what closed down Res' RC board.

It's probably needless to say that all of us would take, to massively understate, an exceptionally-dim view of such things, however much we butt heads with each other on a daily basis. I sure hope the mods here aren't having to deal with that here, even to filter it out.
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I seem to end up a lightning rod on this particular board, but I've seen a lot worse. And, it has to be on the order of six months since I've even seen advertising spam here, never mind what closed down Res' RC board.

It's probably needless to say that all of us would take, to massively understate, an exceptionally-dim view of such things, however much we butt heads with each other on a daily basis. I sure hope the mods here aren't having to deal with that here, even to filter it out.
RML I think I may actually agree with you here.

Adam and the Mods to a bang up job. Thanks Guys.
12-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
RML I think I may actually agree with you here.

Adam and the Mods to a bang up job. Thanks Guys.
Hey, appreciation from those who are doubtless the big 'problem children' ...Can't be bad from a mod's point of view, right?
12-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well you could always look at is we pick on you because we know that you are sure to give us one heck of a fight (some of us actually do enjoy the adversarial bantering that happens here) so I think of it as a badge of honor.

The Mods do deserve credit for keeping the place a very friendly place to come and hang out from time to time.
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
graphicgr8s

Hey, appreciation from those who are doubtless the big 'problem children' ...Can't be bad from a mod's point of view, right?
And again we agree. Would you stop it already.
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Well you could always look at is we pick on you because we know that you are sure to give us one heck of a fight (some of us actually do enjoy the adversarial bantering that happens here) so I think of it as a badge of honor.
There's limited honor to be gained from really stupid fights. It really does get out of hand, personal, and often totally-uncalled-for-insulting, even on some threads that should be friendly.

A lot of it is simply ill-placed baiting, mockery, (even over, yes, the fact I have physical challenges) and ad hominem claims that have nothing to do with either reason or honor. To some people 'honor' is nothing more than posturing and puffing onesself up, and the only person really capable of losing honor there is themselves.

When it comes to a 'fight,' honor is in respect for your 'enemies.' There's no honor or glory in portraying someone else as a subhuman 'straw-man' and then proclaiming onesself victorious.

That's just plain bad manners and boorishness.
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, this is the best-moderated board I post on, and I say that as a moderator on another board.