Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I thought Christian Slater was the heir apparent.
He's never got any real recognition though for some reason, I like him though. He's been consigned to tv for the moment, in quite a good show called 'The Forgotten'.

I tend to like the character actors more than the stars, Tim Roth, Gary Oldman and Timothy Spall are three examples of incredible acting ability. Maybe I notice them more because I'm English and so are they.

12-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Funny, I thought he was a Kiwi.

Jason
12-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
He's never got any real recognition though for some reason, I like him though. He's been consigned to tv for the moment, in quite a good show called 'The Forgotten'.

I tend to like the character actors more than the stars, Tim Roth, Gary Oldman and Timothy Spall are three examples of incredible acting ability. Maybe I notice them more because I'm English and so are they.
I've never really bought into this American 'Superstar' idea....few really halfway make the cut, these days, it seems, without advertising saying 'Love them!'

Britain still produces lots of actors (and actresses) who can get out of their own way and play *characters.* Sadly, it means they don't get the recognition, (even from me: it takes years of bombardment before the media personality gossip ever gets connected to someone's *work,* you just tune it all out as triviality and marketing falling all over itself. ) ...But it's better *stuff.*

Welcome to America, I guess. I consider myself quite the patriot, but... If I hear one more f'n 'infomercial' in the guise of 'entertainment reporting' trying to jangle noise, bright colors, and gossip at me to tell me what celebrity of *any* kind I'm supposed to find 'hot...' Well, both my faith in democracy and interest in any new music or motion picture media dies a little.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-24-2009 at 11:09 PM.
12-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Funny, I thought he was a Kiwi.

Jason
Spot on, But Australia claims him as one of our own.

12-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Of course he's the best. He's an Aussie.
He's a adopted Aussie born in New Zealand Wellington

Disregard this post I just seen the last post

cheers
12-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If we're just gonna talk about superstars, George Clooney is the only real Hollywood leading man type left.

But yeah, character actors tend to be better actual actors. Duh.
12-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will put Kevin Spacey and Sean Penn among the top as well...

12-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My favorite is Morgan Freeman. He can play anything. I have really only watched one of Russel Crowes flicks, A Good Year. I liked it for sure!
12-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #24

how could you forget tom hanks, agreed he's not given great performances in recent years. but Forrest gump wouldn't have been the same without hanks. loved him in cast away aswell for which he did not win an oscar, which deservedly went to russel crowe for gladiator. Russel crowe is a great actor, i liked him first in L.A. Confidential, the insider, gladiator, A beautiful mind and recently cinderella man.
my favorite would still be tom hanks.
12-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nicholson is good, but you never forget that it's him. IMO, a great actor disappears behind the character they are playing. Same for Tom Cruise. And Tom Hanks. Good actors, yes. Great? Not in my book.

One of the few living actors that has this quality is Sir Anthony Hopkins. Who else could have played a serial killer (Dr. Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs), an English gentleman (Howard's End, Remains of the Day), Nixon, and an oddball motorcycle mechanic (The World's Fastest Indian), and each time was so convincingly?

Johnny Depp has some of this as well. Ed Norton too. But this is a much smaller, more elite group that has my utmost respect. I don't know enough of Russell Crowe's work to know whether or not he belongs...
12-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nicholson is good, but you never forget that it's him. IMO, a great actor disappears behind the character they are playing. Same for Tom Cruise. And Tom Hanks. Good actors, yes. Great? Not in my book.

One of the few living actors that has this quality is Sir Anthony Hopkins. Who else could have played a serial killer (Dr. Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs), an English gentleman (Howard's End, Remains of the Day), Nixon, and an oddball motorcycle mechanic (The World's Fastest Indian), and each time was so convincingly?

Johnny Depp has some of this as well. Ed Norton too. But this is a much smaller, more elite group that has my utmost respect. I don't know enough of Russell Crowe's work to know whether or not he belongs...
I agree with everything you say. I am basing my rankings based on how they disappear behind the character as well. Anthony Hopkins, Ed Norton and to a good degree Johnny Depp does this so well too. This is exactly where Russell Crowe get's my vote. I think Anthony Hopkins will give him a good fight, but everyone else mentioned so far IMO is a far cry. I actually didn't think too highly of him in the beginning and never expected him to shine this well.

But, After seeing him portray varying roles, I am flabbergasted. Just wait and see, what he does with Robin Hood, I can guarantee a masterful performance, that you would think you are in Sherwood forest...........

P.S:

I very much admire the late Jeremy Brett who played Sherlock Holmes in the recent BBC series. I am a Holmes buff, and he brought Holmes to life like no one else before him could, and some say he got too deep into the character, succumbed to depression which at the end killed him.......

Got to mention Ben Kingsley, WOW!...he was Gandhi.
12-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I very much admire the late Jeremy Brett who played Sherlock Holmes in the recent BBC series. I am a Holmes buff, and he brought Holmes to life like no one else before him could, and some say he got too deep into the character, succumbed to depression which at the end killed him.......
It's lamentable that he was never Dr. Who, as rumored.
12-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clint Eastwood..... Yea he played mostly cowboys and cops, but he can still act AND direct as seen in his latest....Gran Torino.....
12-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Johnny Depp was the first person that came to my mind. I saw a preview tonight for another movie where he portrays a fictional character and it looks really good. Seems a bit type cast at times, but he is brilliant. The Pirate trilogy was some of his best work. Im an aussie too and a bit of a fan of Crowe, but I only rank him in the bottom of the top 5 in my books. Something I made from stone is sitting on a cabinet in his house. Pretty chuffed about it.
12-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Clint Eastwood..... Yea he played mostly cowboys and cops, but he can still act AND direct as seen in his latest....Gran Torino.....
I absolutely love all his early works, and even today it looks so real when he guns down three bandits even before any one of them could squeeze the trigger. He is absolutely brilliant.