Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Russell Crowe the best active actor in the movies?

I enjoy movies for the sheer acting talents that's displayed on the silver screen. I am glad to say that for some rare exceptions, it is on a pretty high level. But, a few that I can remember that stand out form the crowd are Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Ian Mckellen, Al Pachino, Matt Damon, Liam Neeson, Jack Nicholson etc.(I know I am embarrassingly missing some names here, and I am pretty sure you guy's would point that out to me ). Christian Bale is getting up there too, and I am embarassed to say, but Tom cruise knows what he is doing when it comes to acting(come on now, think of 'A few good men', 'Collateral', 'Last Samurai'....

But, for a person who enjoys watching brilliant acting, Russell Crowe is in a league of his own. This guy gets into the role and portray it in such a natural fashion that I've never seen anyone able to do. He tackles different roles in movies like 'Gladiator', "master and commander', 'A beautiful mind' , 'American gangster' etc., and portray the character exactly like how I imagined, and you don't even see him acting. Just brilliant, and I can't wait for 'Robin Hood' to hit the theaters, as I know he will bring Robin Hood to life as no one else can do.............

Who do you think is currently the best actor in Hollywood?

Last edited by pcarfan; 12-24-2009 at 03:56 PM.
12-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do admit that I am looking forward to the Robin Hood movie, it looks like it has a suitable amount of fighting like I would expect rather then that Costner fiasco
12-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

'"master and commander', 'A beautiful mind' "

I'm not a huge movie buff but he sure did nice work in those two. I have not seen all his stuff. This reminds me to look for it.
12-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course he's the best. He's an Aussie.

12-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yet another Aussie, we'll never know how great the loss of Heath Ledger is. But even in his relatively short career, he did enough to impress and have an impact on a lot of people.

One actor I can think of who never gets a mention is John Savage. He's a character actor and has done some incredible work but unfortunately never reached star status in the eyes of the viewing public.

Christopher Walken also warrants a big mention, his quirky nature and dialogue delivery always dominate.

I think the best current actor would have to be Denzel Washington.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.
12-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I agree on those three.

And raise ya 3

Johnny Depp.........

and I hate to say it because I didn't want to like him..., but Leo DiCaprio

And my very favorite..Milo Jovovich!!! Sorry.....I had to add her......I've seen every piece of cheeze she ever made...
12-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed Gary.
Heath was very talented.
OK, I too will add another of worthy mention, although not completely Aussie ...
Mel Gibson.

12-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
I agree on those three.

And raise ya 3

Johnny Depp.........

and I hate to say it because I didn't want to like him..., but Leo DiCaprio

And my very favorite..Milo Jovovich!!! Sorry.....I had to add her......I've seen every piece of cheeze she ever made...
Johnny Depp is awesome too, and it is funny what you say of leo DiCaprio, as I also think he is hard to like, but he did awesome in the aviator, and he is a good actor, but I still wouldn't put him in the same caliber as others, just because he just doesn't have that presence.
12-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know..it wasn't an easy thing to admit
12-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Agreed Gary.
Heath was very talented.
OK, I too will add another of worthy mention, although not completely Aussie ...
Mel Gibson.
I've seen Braveheart a hundred times, but I despise his personal beliefs now, so he is nothing to me................
12-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I've seen Braveheart a hundred times, but I despise his personal beliefs now, so he is nothing to me................
Hey, Mel may not be a great actor in terms of range, but he plays the *same guy over and over* very charmingly. Crazy and self-martyring dude, but very convincing. (Why 'I'm insane and violent' keeps being depicted as 'sexy' by reviewers, I dunno.)

Russell Crowe is the better artist, hands down. Probably the best depiction of true Roman pietas in major film, in Gladiator, but the man's got *range.*

Mel just.. kind of became the only character he ever really played, (lovably, despite billing) and went off one of the many available deep ends in Hollywood.
12-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
... and it is funny what you say of leo DiCaprio, as I also think he is hard to like, but he did awesome in the aviator, and he is a good actor, but I still wouldn't put him in the same caliber as others, just because he just doesn't have that presence.
I think he has room for growth. It wouldn't surprise me if he starts being compared with Nicholson.
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think he has room for growth. It wouldn't surprise me if he starts being compared with Nicholson.
I dunno about Nicholson, but, DiCaprio is *actually good.* Another case of the corporations trying to claim he should be worshipped as a 'heartthrob,' which led him to be really considered a prepackaged 'star,' but he's actually good. And actually works for it. Speaking of 'range.' Di Caprio can sell all kinds of things without it being about 'This was written for DiCaprio..' I really didn't want to be, but I'm impressed.
12-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I dunno about Nicholson, but, DiCaprio is *actually good.* Another case of the corporations trying to claim he should be worshipped as a 'heartthrob,' which led him to be really considered a prepackaged 'star,' but he's actually good. And actually works for it. Speaking of 'range.' Di Caprio can sell all kinds of things without it being about 'This was written for DiCaprio..' I really didn't want to be, but I'm impressed.
give him a few years and a little hair loss and you may see what I mean.
12-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
give him a few years and a little hair loss and you may see what I mean.
I thought Christian Slater was the heir apparent.