Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wisdom from the past for 2010

"It has been said the greatest volume of sheer brain power in one place occurred when Jefferson dined alone..." John Kennedy

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered...'

'If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.'
-Mark Twain

12-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"The road to tyranny, we must never forget, begins with the destruction of the truth."
Bill Clinton

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bill Clinton

"The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep."
George Stephanopolous
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It won't be long before you are crediting Thomas Jefferson with the invention of the internet.
12-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I just couldn't come up with any good King George quotes other than send more red coats to Boston.

12-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Well I just couldn't come up with any good King George quotes other than send more red coats to Boston.
"Nothing of importance happened today."
— diary entry of King George III, 4 July 1776
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Damn Brit

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well."

"I have a different vision of leadership. A leadership is someone who brings people together. "

"I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about
peace."

"I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun."

"I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to come and witness my hanging."

"We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans."

"The thing that's wrong with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur”

"Most imports are from outside of the country”

"In my sentences I go where no man has gone before.”

“Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness.”

“This is an impressive crowd: the Have's and Have-more's. Some people call you the elites. I call you my base.”

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."

"Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties."

"Do you have blacks, too?"

"Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." 2003

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

GWB
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

Guess you all missed Phil's point. All of that which he quoted is still true today.

12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Lord Britt....did you have to do that, I am turning beet red from embarassment just by the reminder that we had a total blithering fool in the Office of the President for eight long years. Every time I think I am done with Obama, something from Jesus George pops up to remind me how damn fortunate we are to not have George or his hand picked replacement that old tired McCain guy. I've known some very dumb people in my time that could not outdo Jesus George if they tried. Really makes Olberman's rant on why America is failing hit the nail.....it is dumb people on the right that believe all the twisted rubbish that George spewed out as "Gospel".

Just like the right wing fruitloop Glenn Beck, and his conspiracy theories....or those phony Tea Parties where "Grass Roots" leaders are now charging for attendance to their "Tea Party Convention" .......$549.00 per head.......real "grassroots" there? And to prove the dumb part.....they are selling out those tickets!
Regards!
12-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Guess you all missed Phil's point. All of that which he quoted is still true today.
Missing the point never stopped you in the past.
12-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is kind of fun. Thomas Jefferson was perhaps the most 'liberal' of the founding fathers. William Jefferson Clinton was named after him and who knows, William Jefferson (La) now in jail could be related. He is all over our coinage and he has many schools named after him including a big memorial in DC.

He was very instermental in founding this country and essentially wrote the Declaration of Independance. He was 'spiritual' in a sense, but had no alligience to any church. He was a southerner and eventully became a large land owner partially by marrage. He was also a slave owner and most recently it was discovered he had been bonking one of his slaves and DNA research has confermed decendants from this union.

He died rather deep in debt, though he had large land holdings. He made no mention of this slave woman in his will.

His friend and political advesary at times was John Adams, a quaker from the northern colonies (Mass.) Together with lots of help, they put this country together.

Intersting guy. I'm suprised that our left of center friends here don't seem to like him.

I hope they don't start tearing down his memorials like the Taliban does.

There are a number of books available on his history and a brief autobiography. A very smart and able man for his time. We owe him a lot because if the Loyalists and Brits won the Revolutionary war, he would have been drawn and quartered. He had it all out there for independance.
12-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
All of Damn Brit's posting of sayings by GWB are also still true today. So what is your point?
12-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just wondering......
Why do some of you guys still defend George Bush? He was a total and complete failure as President, and was more than just a little lacking in common sense.......even his own Mother thought he would never amount to anything good. He was hand picked by Big Oil for the Governorship in Texas, and they "rehabilitated" him on a Wed night Church service where he "saw the light" and was "saved", miraculously, right after their visit with him in Odessa where they proposed his political future. We all know the story here in Texas....George is a fraud of the first degree.
So why do you keep defending him, just admit that he was and is a loser....it happens. We have Jimmy Carter, and only the wingnut fruitloops on the far left don't admit it. You guys that will take a bullet for George are labeling yourselves right along with those Peanut Farmer supporters as unworthy of reasonable comment. Why? Just admit the facts and move on.....All of your guys are not idiots, and George took most, but not all of them with him when he left town with his tail between his legs....find some reasonable leaders and put yourselves back together. And no....Sarah is certainly not your answer, she makes George look like a Rhodes Scholar.....
BTW-Didn't we have a Rhodes Scholar once? Back when the debt was falling and the economy was the best it has been since the formation of this nation....or any other nation....ever? Do any of you recall that? He kept his screwing to a fat girl, George decided to expand it to every American.......
Regards!
12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I didn't see any defense of Bushco, I did see Bushco's stupid quotes brought to the thread to counter the Jefferson smart quotes though. That's what gave me the notion that the founding liberal no longer meets the current crop of liberal criteria. It's good that Bushco is history. We have a current problem now and that would be Biden and an up and dimmer commer, Napolitano. They are both in office and Biden is #2 in line. Here are a very few of Biden's quotes:

Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S.
Joe Biden
Jobs is a three-letter-word, according to Biden speaking about John McCain's economic policies at a US presidential election rally, October 2008 .

If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where Bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me. Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down, with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are.
Joe Biden
Addressing National Guard, Baltimore, September 2008, about time his helicopter had to make a landing not because of Al Qaeda but due to a sudden snowstorm.

You need to work on your pecs.
Joe BidenTo a reporter at US presidential campaign rally at College of Wooster in Ohio on September 17, 2008.

When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, "look, here's what happened."
Joe Biden
In interview with CBS News, September 2008. However, Roosevelt wasn't president in 1929 and televisions were still experimental.

A man I’m proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!
Joe Biden
At his first US presidential campaign rally with Barack Obama, August 2008.

Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.
Joe Biden
Gaffe-prone Biden predicted an international crisis during first six months of Obama’s Presidency, at fund-raising gathering in Seattle in October 2008.

Uh, uh, Chuck Graham, state senator, is here. Stand up, Chuck, let ‘em see you. Oh, God love you. What am I talking about.
Joe Biden
To wheelchair-bound Missouri state senator, Charles Graham, September 9, 2008.

If John McCain wants to know where the bad guys live, come back with me to Afghanistan. We know where they reside, and it's not in Iraq.
Joe Biden
July 2008.

I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.
Joe Biden
About US presidential candidate Barack Obama, January 2007. He later apologised for these remarks, saying: "I deeply regret any offense my remark in the New York Observer might have caused anyone. That was not my intent and I expressed that to Sen. Obama".

In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.
Joe Biden
In conversation with American-Indian political activist in 2006, he was later slammed for making insensitive and inappropriate remarks.

>>>There is plenty more on Google if your unconvinced.

Regards
12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

So what are you saying Phil....that we have some kind of shortage of fruitloops in Washington and can only find a few to ridicule here? Good Lord! I see a place full of them, it is like we scoured America for the worst of us and then sent them all to Washington.......which, come to think of it, is what we have done. Most of these guys wouldn't be fit for us to drink a beer with or help us change a flat tire.......yet we keep sending them back? Why is that?
Regards!
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So what are you saying Phil....that we have some kind of shortage of fruitloops in Washington and can only find a few to ridicule here? Good Lord! I see a place full of them, it is like we scoured America for the worst of us and then sent them all to Washington.......which, come to think of it, is what we have done. Most of these guys wouldn't be fit for us to drink a beer with or help us change a flat tire.......yet we keep sending them back? Why is that?
Regards!
I don't know. Why do you libs keep sending back the likes of Dodd, Frank, etc. And then vote in the Chicago Mob? Why do you do it? And you'll probably vote Ted back in.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 12-30-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Closed Thread