Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Ebay reliability

I have been shopping for a lens for quite some time and finally decided to look at ebay. There are several on there I am interested in, one in particular that is from a private seller. (i.e.-not an online photo place)

What is everyones experience in buying photographic equipment through ebay? This is a gently used item at about half the price of a new one...which is what makes it affordable for me.

Any thoughts would be great!

thanks

12-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eBay is generally very safe for buyers, especially if you pay using paypal. Make sure you check people's (recent) feedback, though! Also, don't forget to check the Marketplace here for similar items.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

eBay is pretty safe. I would maybe hesitate from buying an SDM pentax lens on there, though. They can work perfectly one day and then decide to stop the next.

I bought my DA* SDM lenses new from amazon, but i've bought my K-x and various sigma lenses from ebay, no problems.

Ask the seller to allow for a 14-day return period, he'll probably agree if you pay with paypal and agree to leave positive feedback.
01-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have bought equipment through Ebay with no problems. I use PayPal, which Ebay owns anyway. If you have a dispute, you go through Paypal for finacial problems; ie: you did not recieve the item......or Ebay if you recieved an item that was defective....... look for moneyback options.....

01-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
eBay is pretty safe. I would maybe hesitate from buying an SDM pentax lens on there, though. They can work perfectly one day and then decide to stop the next.

I bought my DA* SDM lenses new from amazon, but i've bought my K-x and various sigma lenses from ebay, no problems.

Ask the seller to allow for a 14-day return period, he'll probably agree if you pay with paypal and agree to leave positive feedback.
PayPal puts the payment in escrow for 30 days or until you leave feedback. So it gives you time to evaluate the item to make sure that it works the way it should. Just don't leave feedback immediately, and you'll have plenty of time.
01-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ebay is a vehicle, the sellers and buyers make up the experiences. I have bought and sold hundreds of things via Ebay over the past 10 years...all without problem or regret.

Caveat emptor.

Jason
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I am a fairly new Ebay user and have bought a few lower cost items. I would say it is best to assume the item is likely to have an issue with it that was not fully explained. Ask questions, be cautious, check feed back and bid with all that in mind. I see some pretty active reseller bidding on some items that just end up back on Ebay again. I'll bet some stuff has spent years recycling through Ebay. That seems to keep prices jacked up on some stuff.

I was burned 1 time with a poorly functioning low cost lens that had operational issues. If the item you are interested in is expensive be sure and base line the best new pricing from reputable sources first and weigh the risk.

It's kind of like shopping at the town dump. Yes there are treasures in there.
01-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote
I have been shopping for a lens for quite some time and finally decided to look at ebay. There are several on there I am interested in, one in particular that is from a private seller. (i.e.-not an online photo place)

What is everyones experience in buying photographic equipment through ebay? This is a gently used item at about half the price of a new one...which is what makes it affordable for me.

Any thoughts would be great!
There are lots of tools on eBay to help you make a decision about the reliability of a seller. Then there's the percentage of positive feedbacks. And then there's how long that seller has been an eBay member.

Someone with a feedback rating of 2 who became a member a week ago and has a slew of things for sale is probably not a good choice to buy from. On the other end of the scale, someone with a feedback rating of 39,000 with 99% positive who's been a member for years is probably a good bet. Those are extremes, and there are many nuances in between. You can learn a lot from a seller by reading the feedback he's received. It has nothing to do with whether eBay or PayPal is reliable, anyone can scam the system if they want to. I've been scammed on eBay myself because I didn't follow my own advice. It's all about your own research before you commit to buy something.

01-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
... I would say it is best to assume the item is likely to have an issue with it that was not fully explained...

..It's kind of like shopping at the town dump. Yes there are treasures in there...
I always follow such assumptions. Many times people dont know what they are selling - just putting up every unused thing laying around, so they are very helpful in checking the item according to your requests.

Still, some very persistently avoid direct answer to your question after many messages. Often being rude, or simply illogical. You can smell the scam in such responses . Bad pictures, very unclear or inappropriate description (listing unimportant features).
01-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I only buy off Powersellers, it's been good so far.
01-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have bought a good chunk of my lenses of Ebay and have never had a problem.Like adam said,just check the person feedback score and always use PayPal even when they prefer a direct bank deposit.Also make sure that you get some sort of post tracking number to make sure it does arrive to you.
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

Back in November of 2008 I bought a car from an ebay seller. An overall pleasant experience. Have to admit however after I did it I wondered whether or not I was on the losing end of the deal. But once I drove down to get the car I was pleased. But then again I have heard the horror stories.
01-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Generally, I try to just not take too many big chances with Ebay, (Generally, the more-costly an item, the more competitive I find places like Keh or a trusted online store's used department to be on price, anyway. I'm not generally spending enough to be a target for big-time scams, )

Over a fair amount of time, I've only had one real nightmare of a seller, and I guess a couple of minor disappointments to which I don't ascribe any malice or deceit, (If you buy from people who don't know what they have, or if it works, sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you get a paperweight. Careful of spending too much with anyone who says 'I don't know cameras,' is all, and bear in mind that bidding often does get overenthusiastic. )

Overall, I've had very positive experiences, though.
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Generally, I try to just not take too many big chances with Ebay, (Generally, the more-costly an item, the more competitive I find places like Keh or a trusted online store's used department to be on price, anyway. I'm not generally spending enough to be a target for big-time scams, )

Over a fair amount of time, I've only had one real nightmare of a seller, and I guess a couple of minor disappointments to which I don't ascribe any malice or deceit, (If you buy from people who don't know what they have, or if it works, sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you get a paperweight. Careful of spending too much with anyone who says 'I don't know cameras,' is all, and bear in mind that bidding often does get overenthusiastic. )

Overall, I've had very positive experiences, though.
See RML this is a good, rational, well thought out post. My decoder ring was totally unnecessary. But can you keep it up?