Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Passion? OK, how about the surprise team of the season

GO JETS!

01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok....Arizona has to go through New Orleans and NY has to go through San Diego. With the way Arizona played against Green Bay..and the the off and on again Saints(they had a very good year until they got the smack down from Dallas) Arizona has a very good chance.

I think NY has the talent to beat San Diego and in the playoffs....teams find a way to strengthen what they have.
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I ask this question with respect.

Can someone explain the rules to me ...in simple terms, sort of a basic overview of the game if you like.

I understand the bit about how to score, I dont understand why they only pass once for example..? is that a rule or a tactic?

Please dont post a link to the rule book or I will retaliate with a post to The Aussie Rules rule book (tha'll keep ya busy!! )....and then start talking about umpires interpretations .

Its obviously a highly tactical game and I think I'm working it out. It wont become my favourite sport, its too slow and interrupted for that, but it is interesting to watch.
Cheers
Grant (Aussie Rules Fan)
The NFL is girly man football...tiny field and they give themselves an extra down (play) as compared to Canadian football. The Hamilton Tiger Cats beat the crap out of the Buffalo Bills in an exhibition game between the CFL and NFL in August of 1961. The girly men have been afraid to come up ever since.

While those facts are true (joking aside), the CFL and NFL games is somewhat similar. All the money is in the states and the US likes their football like Canada loves it's Hockey. A really good CFL player will usually end up in the NFL....and the CFL isn't what it used to be.
01-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok.....the Saints smacked the cardinals around like they were high school rookies....and pounded Kurt Warner who might retire after this season....I guess we will see....

01-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Ok.....the Saints smacked the cardinals around like they were high school rookies....and pounded Kurt Warner who might retire after this season....I guess we will see....
Bugger!.....guess I gave 'em the kiss of death.

So, who's left now? That was the end of the Australian component .
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, if you like picking losers.....the Dallas Cowboys are still in there......until tomorrow. They are great chokers, and tomorrow is choking time!

BTW- Res did an excellent job of a quick rule explanation, but he left out the most important part of the NFL....Contract Negotiations! Now that will take a little more time for sure than the rules! After that, he can tell you about renegade players and wild west shoot outs...along with a little dog fighting and women chasing......all just part of the game! Go Cowboys!....Yeah, right! LOL!
Regards!
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Ravens & Colts playing now. Winner of this game plays winner of tomorrow's Chargers - Jets game for AFC championship. Saints play winner of tomorrow's Cowboys-Vikings game for NFC championship. AFC & NFC winners play in Super Bowl.

01-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Sports in general. What a waste of time.
I'm shocked George! You are not a big sports fan? I would have lost money on that bet for sure.....I would have bet that box of Cubans that you were a big Tailgater....no particular reason to think so, just intuition....which is not all it is cracked up to be ....is it?
I'm not a big sports fan either.....I follow loosely. Used to love Boxing until it fell apart some years back. I've seen some great fights, and in my younger days was in a good number myself. Now it is mostly like everything else....just a money game, not much real sport left in it.
So if not sports...what do you enjoy George? Fishing...hunting.....Making Canole Thingys? I'd sure like to try one of those, never had one. Reckon how many calories is in an extra large one?
Regards!
BTW- No offense intended on the "Thingy" remark....all unknowns are thingys to me.....I explained that once to someone, but they didn't seem to grasp the concept. Wasn't much of a surprise.....
01-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm shocked George! You are not a big sports fan? I would have lost money on that bet for sure.....I would have bet that box of Cubans that you were a big Tailgater....no particular reason to think so, just intuition....which is not all it is cracked up to be ....is it?
I'm not a big sports fan either.....I follow loosely. Used to love Boxing until it fell apart some years back. I've seen some great fights, and in my younger days was in a good number myself. Now it is mostly like everything else....just a money game, not much real sport left in it.
So if not sports...what do you enjoy George? Fishing...hunting.....Making Canole Thingys? I'd sure like to try one of those, never had one. Reckon how many calories is in an extra large one?
Regards!
BTW- No offense intended on the "Thingy" remark....all unknowns are thingys to me.....I explained that once to someone, but they didn't seem to grasp the concept. Wasn't much of a surprise.....
Yeah I love fishing. Just don't get to go much any more. Use to be I couldn't find a rod I liked in the stores so I learned how to make my own.

Back in High School I was coerced into joining the football team. That lasted all of 2 weeks. So instead I was the "sports" photographer for our school paper. And the editor, typesetter, pre press, and pressman too.
01-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah I love fishing. Just don't get to go much any more. Use to be I couldn't find a rod I liked in the stores so I learned how to make my own.

Back in High School I was coerced into joining the football team. That lasted all of 2 weeks. So instead I was the "sports" photographer for our school paper. And the editor, typesetter, pre press, and pressman too.
I was in baseball and boxing.....I thought the photo guys were a little strange......I sure as hell wish I had paid a little more attention to what they were doing and maybe I would have some better skills now. I had a good friend that lived photography, and looking back I can see that he was a better friend than I imagined to put up with my lack of interest in his passion.
Regards!
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #26
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was in baseball and boxing.....I thought the photo guys were a little strange......I sure as hell wish I had paid a little more attention to what they were doing and maybe I would have some better skills now. I had a good friend that lived photography, and looking back I can see that he was a better friend than I imagined to put up with my lack of interest in his passion.
Regards!
I spent many. many hours in the school darkroom and my home darkroom. Had to develop and print all my stuff. Use to by bulk film and roll my own back in the day. 100" lasted 1 week.
01-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I spent many. many hours in the school darkroom and my home darkroom. Had to develop and print all my stuff. Use to by bulk film and roll my own back in the day. 100" lasted 1 week.
I missed a lot by not being a film shooter, and I realize it but can't change the past. I will never be much more than an amateur, but I still find a great deal of pleasure in the shots I get....sometimes!
I remember Bob having film hanging all over in his darkroom...he did stills and 8mm movies. He would explain things to me and get all excited, and I would just say "come on Bob, let's go" never really paying much attention to what he was doing. I bet wherever he is, he is a great shooter, he really had a passion. At the time my passion was girls and motorcycles.......not in that order. A long time ago George.....
Regards!
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Wow Rupert you are a regular fortune teller! Who'd have ever guessed? LOL!

"Well, if you like picking losers.....the Dallas Cowboys are still in there......until tomorrow. They are great chokers, and tomorrow is choking time!"

Did you win some bucks....sure did! Old Rupert was always lucky!
Regards!
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

So, who's still in this, anyway?

I do watch the news, but it seems that sports reports don't manage to get the news across about it before they completely shut down my attention with that sort of uniformly-bosterous prepackaged 'Sports commentator, moving graphics and canned guitar riffs' thing they've been doing for decades.

The sports report sounds to me rather like, "Thanks for the weather update, Bob, and well, yesterday we heard GAAAAABdegarblegarblegarble name garblegab...."

01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dallas, like Rupert said, choked completely; lost to Minnesota. Looks like Bret Farve has a mission and Tony Romo needed glasses.....

NY beat San Diego in a low scoring but good game.

So we have Indy vs. NY at Indy and New Orleans vs. Minnesota at New Orleans next week.

The winners of those two Games will be in the SuperBowl on Feb. 7 at Miami FA.

Last edited by res3567; 01-17-2010 at 06:07 PM.