Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NFL

What happened to the NFL thread? We are in the playoffs now.... any takers on ressurecting it??????

01-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

We get NFL here, for some reason.

Great camerawork. I'll say that much for it.
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
What happened to the NFL thread? We are in the playoffs now.... any takers on ressurecting it??????
If you do I'll sick RML on you!
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ask this question with respect.

Can someone explain the rules to me ...in simple terms, sort of a basic overview of the game if you like.

I understand the bit about how to score, I dont understand why they only pass once for example..? is that a rule or a tactic?

Please dont post a link to the rule book or I will retaliate with a post to The Aussie Rules rule book (tha'll keep ya busy!! )....and then start talking about umpires interpretations .

Its obviously a highly tactical game and I think I'm working it out. It wont become my favourite sport, its too slow and interrupted for that, but it is interesting to watch.
Cheers
Grant (Aussie Rules Fan)

01-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In general, the object of the game is to get the ball across your opponent's "end zone" These are areas of the football field at the end so to speak and there are "goal posts" at the very end of each end zone. If you run the ball or catch the ball in the end zone you score 6 points. This is called a "touchdown" You are then given the oppertunity to score one more point by kicking the ball between the goal post. It is that thingy thats looks like a giant wishbone. This is called a "field goal". The football field is 100 yards long. Each team has to advance the ball by running or passing at least 10 yards and are given 4 tries to do it. These are called "downs". For example, 1st and 10 means 1 down and three to go; and 10 yards is required for the ball to travel to repeat the tries all over again.

Passing can be done at any time; some teams would rather run the ball because they have a star player or players who can get the job done. Others use a combination of pasing and running and still others perfer to mostly pass.

You can also kick the ball between the goal post at anytime to try to score three points; this is usually done if the team who has the ball cannot or will not make a touchdown before the required downs are up and they are within range for the kicker to get the ball across the goal post.

This is a VERY BASIC overview of the game I can give without getting too technical.....

Ask me for specifics and I will be more than happy to answer the best way I can.
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I ask this question with respect.

Can someone explain the rules to me ...in simple terms, sort of a basic overview of the game if you like.

I understand the bit about how to score, I dont understand why they only pass once for example..? is that a rule or a tactic?

Please dont post a link to the rule book or I will retaliate with a post to The Aussie Rules rule book (tha'll keep ya busy!! )....and then start talking about umpires interpretations .

Its obviously a highly tactical game and I think I'm working it out. It wont become my favourite sport, its too slow and interrupted for that, but it is interesting to watch.
Cheers
Grant (Aussie Rules Fan)
If we ever meet I am going to kill you
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
If we ever meet I am going to kill you
Do you hate football or sports in general???

C'mon Graphic, it is just a lil competition..... tell you what..... how about a game of ping pong....or badmitten......or checkers.......or battleship........or better yet.....LIFE!!!!!
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peace & Love brother .

A few have tried this actually...

....and you'll have to make the first shot count

Cheers.

01-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Peace & Love brother .

Cheers.
A Duel......??????Cool.........!!!!!
01-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Do you hate football or sports in general???

C'mon Graphic, it is just a lil competition..... tell you what..... how about a game of ping pong....or badmitten......or checkers.......or battleship........or better yet.....LIFE!!!!!
Sports in general. What a waste of time.
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Peace & Love brother .

Cheers.
So why have a few tried? Messing with another man's woman? (If so tell us about it)
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Rob,
That helps, I hadn't got the 10 yard bit. I wondered why they would call some plays "incomplete"...guess thats why?

Does your game suffer the same joy of referee interpretations as mine does?.

Gotta love ya footy. (football).

So, who is going to win your NFL championship and why?
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
So why have a few tried? Messing with another man's woman? (If so tell us about it)
Nope, never mess with another mans rifle, horse, truck or woman...we're civilised thankyou!

You'll find this hard to believe but apparently my opinions sometime upset other people. :ugh:

Cheers mate.
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rob,
That helps, I hadn't got the 10 yard bit. I wondered why they would call some plays "incomplete"...guess thats why?

Does your game suffer the same joy of referee interpretations as mine does?.

Gotta love ya footy. (football).

So, who is going to win your NFL championship and why?
Imcomplete refers to a pass that was not caught with the ball airborn and into the player's hand (reciever).

There are 100 yards in a football field and the team who is in possession of the ball(offense) can run the ball ten yards ten times+1 yard if they start at the 1 yard line to score.... however this does not usually happen. Yea sounds confusing I know....

Each team while playing offense has to ADVANCE the ball ten yards and has 4 tries to do it (downs).

Yes we have ALOT of referee interpetetion including INSTANT REPLAY were a coach
can have a referee look at the camera recording of a controversial play. Sometimes the ruling by the referee will be overturned, sometimes not.

As for the Super Bowl, the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints look to be in strong contention to play each other because of their records this year. If that happens, it will be a good game, but I feel the Colts will pull it off.

However, there are a lot of good teams in the playoffs this year and ANY ONE of them on each side (NFC vs. AFC) could go and win. Sometimes teams just play like they never played before and there are upsets that suprise everyone who has opinions on who will win the Championship.....
01-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok!! I'm on board with the Arizona Cardinals (that right ?) ...they got an Aussie playing for them. Ben Graham, the kicker.....ex Geelong AFL, once rumoured to have kicked a goal from centre half back (on his wrong foot too)

GO ARIZONA !!!
c'mon, lets get a bit of passion going around this place!