Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

Only in NYC

So in all their infinite wisdom NYC Health Department has put out a How-To on how to commit a felony.

What a great use of NYC taxpayer dollars. What next? How to be a Prostitute?

QuoteQuote:
(AP) A New York City-funded guidebook for heroin users offers information on how to prepare drugs carefully and care for veins to avoid infection.

The state's top official with the Drug Enforcement Administration calls the "Take Charge Take Care" guide a "step-by-step instruction on how to inject a poison." DEA special agent-in-charge John Gilbride says the handout is disturbing.

The city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene printed about 70,000 copies.

A health official says the goal is to promote health and save lives. Assistant Commissioner Daliah Heller says instructions on how to perform injections were included because there's "a less harmful way to inject."

The illustrated guidebook offers information on HIV testing and the dangers of sharing needles.

01-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

In passing, I saw that on TV last night. For the slow folks, the 'poison' is heroin. The city cost if I remember correctly was about $35K.

For some strange reason I don't think heroin users are real big on following instructions, but hey that's just me.

I'm glad I am on the left coast. I'm sure we can easily top that with sex change operations for the incarcerated or heart transplants for those on death row.
01-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same kind of thing as the Mexican government's "How to sneak into the United States (just make sure you send money home)" handouts. Amazing!

Mike
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

By Golly! This is worse than the Bridge to Nowhere......isn't it? Helping people be addicts is worse than helping crooks line their pockets with our money...right?

While I agree totally that this is pure insanity, you guys are always pointing out left leaning absurdity......like you didn't have any of your own to share? Little things like having 14 Hijackers from Saudi create mass destruction.....and then invading Iraq? Come on guys, if you are ever going to get any respect across America, you need to face up to your own absurdities, or take a hike....I hear the Appalachian Trail is nice this time of year?
Regards!

01-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not really seeing a problem here. If it keeps 2 addicts out of the ER it's probably paid for itself.
Oh wait, wrong country.
You guys let them die on the street.
Ah well, if it keeps 2 addicts from dying from some sort of nasty infection, it's probably paid for itself in clean up costs.
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Outrageous! They should just leave the junkies clueless, so that they can continue to do their stupid things like they do right now, infecting eachother with AIDS and other STDs, costing the health care system millions of dollars, inappropriately dispose their needles so that they can become hazards to not only junkies but children and other people and animals in the vicinity! Because they're criminals who freely choose to be junkies and so they should just be left to rot, even if that has consequences that reach beyond them; that's just collateral.

Some people are so thick...
01-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's not like the addicts will end up in the ER or in the morgue due to an overdose will they... No, much more likely that they'll go to the ER to get an infected needle puncture seen to since they are sooooo worried about their own safety. Duh!!!

This is "How to safely inject a deadly poison into your body without worrying about secondary infections 101"
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So, come out with a set of pamplets that tell kids not to pick up discarded needles...

01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Outrageous! They should just leave the junkies clueless, so that they can continue to do their stupid things like they do right now, infecting eachother with AIDS and other STDs, costing the health care system millions of dollars, inappropriately dispose their needles so that they can become hazards to not only junkies but children and other people and animals in the vicinity! Because they're criminals who freely choose to be junkies and so they should just be left to rot, even if that has consequences that reach beyond them; that's just collateral.

You don't get it Rawhead...you see right wing wingnuts never have any reason to fear those infected needles, the spread of STD's, or knife wielding desperate addicts......they live high up on fence posts, away from the dangers of the "dirt of the world". Their pristine Senators and Congressmen that represent who they are never have any illicit affairs or molest little Page boys or such filthy things that you find on the left....don't you understand? They have no need for such worries....they breathe the fresh clear air of the Appalachian Trail...between speeches on Family Values and telling us low lifers how to live...You have to appreciate their compassionate concern...after all, their hero is none other than Jesus George, patron saint of right wing do-gooders. He never did any drugs.....did he?
Regards!
01-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote

Well there could be pamphlets on treatment.
01-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually it's not "only in NYC", many cities across the world (and the US) have all sorts of programs for junkies... safe injection clinics, clean syringe handouts, heck they even hand out condoms to iv drug user (and prostitutes) funded fully or in part by some level of government.

While they have their attention for a few seconds, they attempt to EDUCATE them a little... probably a waste of time, but it would be criminal not to at least try.

All that for cheaper than what it costs the state to pick up a few junkies overdosing and taking them to the ER for a day or two... hospital and ambulance bills which you know they will never pay. Not to mention the costs generated by the ones spreading plagues like STD's, HIV and Hepatitis thru sharing dirty needles and other unsafe practices.

Sorry but I think you're really barking up the wrong tree here...

Pat
01-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

More room and resources for the brighter people in the world, right? Just kidding.
01-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Actually it's not "only in NYC", many cities across the world (and the US) have all sorts of programs for junkies... safe injection clinics, clean syringe handouts, heck they even hand out condoms to iv drug user (and prostitutes) funded fully or in part by some level of government.

While they have their attention for a few seconds, they attempt to EDUCATE them a little... probably a waste of time, but it would be criminal not to at least try.

All that for cheaper than what it costs the state to pick up a few junkies overdosing and taking them to the ER for a day or two... hospital and ambulance bills which you know they will never pay. Not to mention the costs generated by the ones spreading plagues like STD's, HIV and Hepatitis thru sharing dirty needles and other unsafe practices.

Sorry but I think you're really barking up the wrong tree here...

Pat
We can see how well that's working can't we?
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

So we should stop trying to educate them because the are not all dropping their syringes and joining your perfect little world instantly?

Sorry, I don't buy that... attempting to educate people is always worth a try.

Pat
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Inactive Account

'While I agree totally that this is pure insanity, you guys are always pointing out left leaning absurdity......like you didn't have any of your own to share? Little things like having 14 Hijackers from Saudi create mass destruction.....'

Hey Rupert, are we a little sensitive this AM or something? Yuh gotta learn to laugh at this ship. I pointed out to you before The Bridge To Nowhere has cost nada. The (D) Murta International Airport has cost us many millions. (Google it) Use that example next time. Further I think the Saudis were the largest contributors to The Clinton Doublewide Liberary.

Here is the skinny on the NY Mayor, you can blame a sorta Repub;

Michael Rubens Bloomberg (born February 14, 1942) is the current Mayor of New York City. He was listed as the eighth-richest American, with a net worth of US $16 billion, in the Forbes 400 on September 17, 2008, making him the richest resident of New York City, ahead of David H. Koch. He is the founder and 88% owner of Bloomberg L.P., a financial software services company.[1][2]

A lifelong Democrat before seeking elective office, Bloomberg switched his registration in 2001 and ran for mayor as a Republican, winning the election that year and a second term in 2005. He was frequently mentioned as a possible independent candidate for the 2008 presidential election ............

Laugh at life dude.

Regards