Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been discussed in the past, sometimes to the point of a thread lock. Bottom line, it's the sellers choice where to ship an why. I don't think there are so many things that show up for sale here that won't be shipped internationally and can't be gotten locally at about the same total cost.

01-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Part of my reluctance is that I have to go to the post office during my work day and stand in line anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes (unless it's a holiday time, in which case it's 30 to 1:30) to make sure the customs forms are properly filled out. Not to mention the fact that if I try to pass the higher shipping costs on to the buyers, they often bail on a potential sale or ask to pay the same shipping as a US resident would pay.
01-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Part of my reluctance is that I have to go to the post office during my work day and stand in line anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes (unless it's a holiday time, in which case it's 30 to 1:30) to make sure the customs forms are properly filled out. Not to mention the fact that if I try to pass the higher shipping costs on to the buyers, they often bail on a potential sale or ask to pay the same shipping as a US resident would pay.
Those are some of the reasons why I would prefer to sell in the US. Waiting in line and the extra cost of shipping.
Typically it cost about $5-10 to ship in the US via USPS and they get it in 2 day. If you ship outside of the US, it cost about $40-50 depending on the location.
01-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

C'mon guys - extra shipping is covered by the buyer. The buyer who doesn't agree to it can just move on and you sell it to the next serious enquirer. You as the seller should bear no extra costs than if you were selling your gear locally.
As for standing in line - won't you be doing this anyway? The only extra inconvenience is filling out a form. I guess you may not realise how scarce such equipment is overseas that when one desired item is spotted on the forum only to have 'US only' indicated with no reasons for such restriction other than what's been mentioned here it can be a source of frustration.

01-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I agree it's up to the seller....and how much hey want to deal with things, but if anything it opens up sales to a much larger audience. Don't forget that not everywhere has a history of buying Pentax gear. What might be fairly easy to find used here is not an option for someone else, or due to local costs / dollar issues, spending the extra on shipping is still well worth it.

I'd say give them the true cost of shipping, even if it is $300 on a $300 lens and let them decide. You get a sale and they get the lens that wouldn't have been available to them otherwise.
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
C'mon guys - extra shipping is covered by the buyer. The buyer who doesn't agree to it can just move on and you sell it to the next serious enquirer. You as the seller should bear no extra costs than if you were selling your gear locally.
As for standing in line - won't you be doing this anyway? The only extra inconvenience is filling out a form. I guess you may not realise how scarce such equipment is overseas that when one desired item is spotted on the forum only to have 'US only' indicated with no reasons for such restriction other than what's been mentioned here it can be a source of frustration.

Ash, with all due respect, it isn't sellers in the U.S. that limit their market region. It happens else where also. Here is one example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/84686-sale-%5...-ed-al-if.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/85352-sale-%5...70mm-more.html

I'm not complaining because its the seller's prerogative. This particular lens isn't all that rare/scarce, but I see some special glass that is limited to a particular region. These threads always start out pissing and moaning that someone in the U.S will ship CONUS only never mind that rules out several States and Territories (HI, AL, PR etc.) as well. Rarely if ever is there a thread griping about the EU, Aussie, HK etc.

Personally, I'll do business almost anywhere in the world but that's my and the other party's decision. bigthumbsup

What's next, people upset because the rare Pentax titanium lens was posted and sold within 5 minutes for $100 and someone didn't see it until 10 minutes later.

Last edited by Blue; 01-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.
01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As for standing in line - won't you be doing this anyway? The only extra inconvenience is filling out a form.
No, for domestic packages I can print out the postage online, tape it to the box, drop it off in <1min.

01-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just Me Quote
Not sure where to put this, so figured this place is as good as any.

I often buy stuff from all over the world, and it is easier to get things out of anywhere except the USA.

Curious, what is so difficult about shipping an item outside the USA?
Considering a thread going on in the marketplace, this is a relevant post. I have mixed feelings about mailing outside of the US. I, for one, am generally open about mailing outside of the US, for I have done it for a long time (in a personal manner, that is). So, I totally get the concept of duties, mail getting held up, etc. Several notes on why I can see people refuse or are reluctant to ship outside of the US:
  • As many people have indicated, the reliability of mailing outside of US, especially small-ticket items, via standard shipping, is iffy to some countries. I have numerous cases (although not lately, and mostly personal mail), where an item as trivial as a greeting card, reaching the destination after weeks, and in some cases, months. One time, it even went to another country (perhaps USPS' fault)! I have mailed to many countries recently, and I have to say I am happy with the delivery, even with some delays. What I don't get is, Canada being our neighbour, has an average of 10-14days delivery time from the US.
  • Paypal aside, since there is no tracking on regular mail, you essentially have to trust each other - to make sure the item was shipped and was received. In terms of domestic mail, I really like the Multi-order shipping that PayPal provides - it costs me only 19c extra to confirm the delivery of an item, even when not paid via PayPal. International shipping, however, is iffy unless you send via Priority. I have have great success with priority mail.
  • As much as one hates USPS, it is very reliable. Some shipments within US have reached in record days (2 days from Chicago to pretty much anywhere else). So, my original instinct (for low-priced/potentially fragile items) is to only mark domestic, and just be lazy.
  • Inconvenience - most domestic shipments, I can print a label at home and drop it off at a mailbox in my building or somewhere closeby. For international shipping, I have to go to the post office regardless of the amount. And depending on the lines, I will spend a 15 mins in the like, even if the value of the item is $10 and is standard shipping. Add to that filling out customs forms, especially for more expensive items. Not everyone lives close to a PO, and add travel time.

I think the last item beats out everything. So, unless you sell these items for a living, you are spending time that you wouldn't otherwise spend to mail domestically.
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ash, with all due respect, it isn't sellers in the U.S. that limit their market region. It happens else where also. Here is one example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/84686-sale-%5...-ed-al-if.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/85352-sale-%5...70mm-more.html

I'm not complaining because its the seller's prerogative. This particular lens isn't all that rare/scarce, but I see some special glass that is limited to a particular region. These threads always start out pissing and moaning that someone in the U.S will ship CONUS only never mind that rules out several States and Territories (HI, AL, PR etc.) as well. Rarely if ever is there a thread griping about the EU, Aussie, HK etc.

Personally, I'll do business almost anywhere in the world but that's my and the other party's decision. bigthumbsup

What's next, people upset because the rare Pentax titanium lens was posted and sold within 5 minutes for $100 and someone didn't see it until 10 minutes later.
Another example of a Europe only sale.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/86654-sale-lx...tml#post899457
02-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't know if it's the case, but I sometimes use the [EU] tag not because I don't want to sell to worldwide but because since the lens in the EU are more expensive it's not a good deal, money wise, for someone outside of Europe.

02-01-2010, 03:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

This example is mine and it's not a good one.

Anyone wanting to buy from worldwide is welcome (already answer some pm about that) BUT show me someone wanting to buy ....

Lens prices in Europe are higher so, money wise, there is no point on selling them to worldwide... now, the opposite is a good deal for both parts, lens prices outside of Europe are lower so, Europeans always want to buy from USA etc ...
02-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #27

Does paypal use credit card only in some countries rather than having a bank account funding option? I'm considering only accepting personal payment funded through bank account (for international) as a way around the draconian requirements paypal has in place regarding shipping methods. There has been some dispute about exactly what those requirements are, but I'd hate to get a chargeback because I didn't ship via a $75 method and paypal decided to be strict with me.

Basically I would do this:

1) State MY final price (the amount I will take home after shipping and fees)
2) Require 1% on top for cross border payment
3) Offer whatever shipping method and cost the buyer wants and is comfortable with depending on their preference and confidence in USPS and their local post. This could be a money big money-saver for the buyer depending on their comfort.
4) For $1.15 add a service called proof of mailing (available even for the cheapest shipping methods) whereby the postal employee fills out a card that certifies the package was accepted and the address it's going to. This would guard against a package never actually being mailed.
5) Inform the buyer that the package will not be marked 'gift', but will put 'used lens' and maybe even round the stated value down a bit.

Personal payment funded through bank helps for a couple reasons. First, it saves three percent. Second, without credit card companies involved the risk of chargeback is reduced (possibly to none). I believe paypal offers less buyer protection through personal payment, but if a seller establishes good feedback and supplies adequate pictures, then that can be considered by buyers. It's true that it transfers some of the risk to the buyer, but if I have the option to sell CONUS and am being asked to send to Latvia, then I don't want the risk to be my problem.

Thoughts?

Chris
02-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by QuixoticTonic Quote
Does paypal use credit card only in some countries rather than having a bank account funding option? I'm considering only accepting personal payment funded through bank account (for international) as a way around the draconian requirements paypal has in place regarding shipping methods. There has been some dispute about exactly what those requirements are, but I'd hate to get a chargeback because I didn't ship via a $75 method and paypal decided to be strict with me.

Basically I would do this:

1) State MY final price (the amount I will take home after shipping and fees)
2) Require 1% on top for cross border payment
3) Offer whatever shipping method and cost the buyer wants and is comfortable with depending on their preference and confidence in USPS and their local post. This could be a money big money-saver for the buyer depending on their comfort.
4) For $1.15 add a service called proof of mailing (available even for the cheapest shipping methods) whereby the postal employee fills out a card that certifies the package was accepted and the address it's going to. This would guard against a package never actually being mailed.
5) Inform the buyer that the package will not be marked 'gift', but will put 'used lens' and maybe even round the stated value down a bit.

Personal payment funded through bank helps for a couple reasons. First, it saves three percent. Second, without credit card companies involved the risk of chargeback is reduced (possibly to none). I believe paypal offers less buyer protection through personal payment, but if a seller establishes good feedback and supplies adequate pictures, then that can be considered by buyers. It's true that it transfers some of the risk to the buyer, but if I have the option to sell CONUS and am being asked to send to Latvia, then I don't want the risk to be my problem.

Thoughts?

Chris
As someone who has been selling online for 12 years, the personal risk has become increasingly not worth it (maybe I'm just tired of dealing with the bullshit). Even when they agree to pay by Personal account rather than CC, (after they've finished crying about the shipping expense) they still fund with a CC, costing you the 3 plus percent. In this case I refund the money and tell them to go pound sand.

Then, in the case of the bay, when their country kicks them in the balls with a long customs wait, the duties and VAT, they bitch that it's Your fault. This applies more to the first timers though. The second and third timers will ask you to under declare it (but insure it for full value) and tag it as a Gift. I had Several such requests even here in the marketplace. They want the 'lower cost' of the item and want You to cover the added cost in time (and sometimes money) to get it to them.

I stand by the comment I made in your ad (sorry for adding to the BS). If you don't want to do it then don't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it.
02-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I stand by the comment I made in your ad (sorry for adding to the BS). If you don't want to do it then don't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it.
It was really no problem to have that discussion in the ad. You input (and defense) was appreciated.

As to the second point, I actually do want to offer international shipping in the Marketplace. The extra exposure is good and can often work out better for both parties. For example, I've had items listed that weren't getting much attention from domestic buyers, yet international interest was high. I'm just trying to strike a balance between cost, benefit, risk and convenience.

Chris
02-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
Forum Member

Customs in Portugal are a real pain, because they charge you taxes for anything that costs more then 50 euros (and we're talking about 30% taxes!!). Also, forget Fedex, they not only charge a lot to the seller but also to the buyer, once the item gets here.

That sayd, the US market has loads and loads of stuff at lower prices than in the EU, and I'm not just talking about rare stuff. And of course that agravates people... Personaly, when I decide to buy something, I want to go to ebay or whatever, find it and buy it, and many usual stuff you get listed everyday in ebay US, B&H, KEH, etc. you just don't find regularly here. Pentax FA lens are a very good example, because they are, as you all know, descontinued, and the law of supply and demand makes the prices go up, up, up, specially in a market (EU) where the supply isn't that great.

Solution? No solution...