Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Shipping out of USA what is hard about it?

Not sure where to put this, so figured this place is as good as any.

I have noticed that on a lot of the for sale posts here, and also on places like eekbay that folks selling gear in the USA refuse to send stuff anywhere else in the world.

Many people actually claim it is impossible for them to ship outside the USA.

This has me very curious. Does the USA currently have trade embargos forbidding the shipping of items to any other country in the world, or is it simply that folks from the USA are too scared that once an item leaves their shores it will disappear into hyperspace?

I often buy stuff from all over the world, and it is easier to get things out of anywhere except the USA.

Curious, what is so difficult about shipping an item outside the USA?

01-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience is it costs more and to track it (if it can be tracked) will cost even more and it takes awhile for packages to get to Canada and China (about two weeks).....for standard shipping......
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Alot of us have been screwed over when shipping out of country. We ship via an inexpensive method as per the buyers request without delivery confirmation then the buyer tells paypal the item never arrived gets the item and his money back . Shipping overseas with delivery confirmation makes it cost prohibative for the buyer.
01-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Alot of us have been screwed over when shipping out of country. We ship via an inexpensive method as per the buyers request without delivery confirmation then the buyer tells paypal the item never arrived gets the item and his money back . Shipping overseas with delivery confirmation makes it cost prohibative for the buyer.
qouted for truth.

Last thing I sent via USPS priority mail, insured and with confirmation internationally was to Brazil. It took close to 2 months for the buyer to receive it. Frustrating, lengthy, and with $400 (item value) hanging out there in limbo for so long it is simply not worth close to the aggrivation.

01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I bought something from a member in Toronto and it was two weeks getting to So Calif. via Canadian/US postal normal rates. I expect the delay was US customs as the thing looked like it was opened but resealed very well, I can't be sure. That's only about 3,000 miles. I would guess out bound a seller has the issue of payment (PayPal fixes that) and filling out extra paperwork possibly at the post office. Plus insurance if it is higher value. We do like forms here. I guess it's just a bit easier. On the converse I have seen a few EU and Oz sellers shipping only close to home too. I forgot, I ordered a smaller item just under $100 from Singapore and that was here in about 5 days with Pay Pal payment.
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have good experience shipping regular airmail parcel post - insured and with signature confirmation. It takes about one week to 10 days to Europe and Australia and the rates are reasonable compared to priority mail. With insurance and signature confirmation there is really no risk.
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
qouted for truth.

Last thing I sent via USPS priority mail, insured and with confirmation internationally was to Brazil. It took close to 2 months for the buyer to receive it. Frustrating, lengthy, and with $400 (item value) hanging out there in limbo for so long it is simply not worth close to the aggrivation.
2 Months is excessive. Did you ever find out where the delay occurred?

USPS "priority" mail seems a misnomer. When I got a lens from BHPhoto sent this way, it took 17 days to arrive in Brisbane, a capital city in Australia.

Dan.
01-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sounds like a trust issue. Trust goes both ways though... if I pay a few hundred to an individual somewhere in the USA I take the great risk that they may indeed just never send the item.

But, if that really is the great problem, then simply demanding that if sent out of the USA shipping must require a delivery signature fixes the problem. Still leaves the buyer unsure of whether it was sent or not.

What difference between sending across the country without signature on delivery? same problem.

Is just damn frustrating to see item after item discriminating against anyone outside the USA. Would much prefer to deal with another Australian, but sometimes the gear is O/s.

I would imageine the buyer has to trust the seller a lot more than the other way around... buyer pays up front, buyer has only the seller's word for condition, item arrives...if not as described, cost of return is often huge and not worth the trouble. Happened recently to a friend buying a used lens.

There are risks in everything.

01-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just me - for me it isnt really trust related to the buyer (I am comfortable that paypal is a decent intermediary, as long as I cover myself with tracking/insurance), but the length of time something can be in transit, and the possibility of a lost or significantly delayed package that bother me.

Dosdan - the delay was Brazil customs - I think it also might have been the buyer trying to get out of paying import fees (wanted my name so he could say it was from a cousin, etc etc). In the end he picked it up and paid it. That is the other thing that bothers me about intl selling - you'll give a quote to a buyer, then they will tell you to mark a different value, do this, do that so they dont have to pay import fees. I realize those can be high, but I have to protect myself by marking the proper value and description. End Rant!
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager

Private postage - get it done through recognised means that are reliable (USPS First class hasn't failed me yet to Australia).
Specific countries may make it difficult to import goods - best to know beforehand.
Australia makes it easy - non-commercial imports are hassle-free for the sender, and the buyer only has to pay custom duty if the value of the goods sent exceeds $1000.
01-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Private postage - get it done through recognised means that are reliable (USPS First class hasn't failed me yet to Australia).
Specific countries may make it difficult to import goods - best to know beforehand.
Australia makes it easy - non-commercial imports are hassle-free for the sender, and the buyer only has to pay custom duty if the value of the goods sent exceeds $1000.
Exactly Ash. If a person uses UPS or FedEx, then a) it is usually cheaper and faster than US Mail and b) delivery requires a signature.

I really fail to understand why USA folk will often not ship beyond their borders.
01-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Shipping from Canada can be expensive, but I am just honest about it. I tried to ship on the cheap once (sea mail) and the purchaser wasn't please with the delay. Better to offer shipping with tracking/signature/insurance for whatever it is...often $60 or more and let the purchaser decide... Quite a few think it's fine....
01-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I used to work for a nissan related performance shop, I shipped/recieved a lot of parts from the states. I have to say my number 1 choice was always via USPS or if needed fedex, UPS charged me an arm, leg and future child in fees so I never used them anymore.

USPS is what I tell most people I buy stuff from to ship, its the cheapest and the easiest.
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter

This subject used to come up at least twice a month. If you look, you will see from time to time people in other countries (especially in the EU) that are the same way about shipping. Regardless of their reason and location, its their personal prerogative. Personally I have had good luck with the UK, Ireland, Greece, The Netherlands, Portugal, Hong Kong, China and Spain. With China and Hong Kong, it was receiving.
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Shipping from Canada can be expensive, but I am just honest about it. I tried to ship on the cheap once (sea mail) and the purchaser wasn't please with the delay. Better to offer shipping with tracking/signature/insurance for whatever it is...often $60 or more and let the purchaser decide... Quite a few think it's fine....
I just sold a lens to a person in the Middle East. To say the shipping costs were prohibitive is an understatement.
The only way it was feasible to send it was by completely uninsured airmail.
The cost of shipping via courier or insured and traceable mail was very close to the cost of the lens (an FA50/1.4) itself.