Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Japanese whaling vessel strikes Sea Shepherd

Whaling has been a contentious issue between the Aussie and Japanese govts for some time. Aussies don't like it, and it's happening on Aussie waters. Maritime law seems to lag behind the issue at hand, and as such conservationists feel compelled to take matters into their own hands. Now they're embroiled in this serious incident:

Investigation, but no peacekeepers - News - 7pm Project
Japanese whalers accused of sinking protest boat | Reuters

In an escalation of the whaling wars, the Sea Shepherd's stealth boat, the Ady Gil, was sliced in two after a collision with a ship from Japan's whaling fleet.

The Japanese Government claims the incident was an act of sabotage following hours of harassment by the conservationists.

But Sea Shepherd's deputy chief executive, Chuck Swift, has told the ABC the incident was "at least criminal assault, if not attempted murder".

But Deputy Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, says sending an Australian vessel in to maintain peace would be a waste of time. "But we believe in the right to protest."

Before winning the last federal election, the Labor govt promised to take international legal action to stop Japanese whaling.

No legal action has been taken.

This from the Japanese Whaling Association: "Whales have ever been hunted to extinction, nor are they likely to be. When whales were over-hunted, species such as blue whales and right whales were reduced to very low population levels, but these species now have been fully protected for decades.

Japan strongly believes that they should continue to be protected.
On the other hand, there are species which are abundant enough that marine management is needed, such as the Antarctic and northwestern Pacific minke whales and northwestern Pacific Bryde's whales"

Interested to know different opinions from around the world...

01-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so its okay for conservationists to ram a whaling ship but they cry foul when they are rammed in return.

huh?
01-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

It's a goofy looking 'stealth boat'. It appears to be a high speed small vessel. Maybe it was so stealthy the whaler didn't see it. Seriously, I would guess the stealth boat can easily out manuever the whaling ship. Smaller vessels always must give way unless under sail or towing and properly marked as such. That's just a reality. As in the past, these folks deliberatly go in harms way. Possibly publicity is the end purpose of the 'ramming'. That ain't all bad I suppose. Too bad there isn't a better way that works.

I am all for reducing/stopping the killing of whales. except for indegionous people in some cases for subsistance.
01-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
so its okay for conservationists to ram a whaling ship but they cry foul when they are rammed in return.

huh?
I've seen both "ramming" incidents on tv.
- The one where the Sea Shepard rammed the Japanese whaler last year was one large steel ship against another.
- The ramming of the Japanese whaler was one large steel ship sailing over a small plastic boat that lay still in the water.

- The first incident was not a legal thing to do, as whaling by the Japanese is not legal to do.
- The second incident could easily have killed some or all of the sailors on board of the rammed ship. Not the same thing in my opinion.

Europe (Holland first) did ban all seal fur products from Canada in the recent past to stop the seal baby killings, although there has not been an international agreement to stop this.
I believe Europe should act much stronger on Japanese whaling, since they violate international treaties. Our politics is using different measures for Canada and Japan without any logical reason.

01-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

In other footage there is clear evidence that the protesters have been using a high powered laser pointer to blind the whalers on the bridge in order for them to lose control of the vessel. Maybe those sorts of tactics have lead to the collison.

As for the goofy and unorthodox design of the boat, it was originally built for an around the world record attempt by a vessel running only on bio-diesel. I saw it when it docked nearby shortly after the record attempt on a promotional tour, before it's protesting days. Thus it has a super long range, good for touring the southern ocean but it would be a rough old ride. Onboard it is as bare and as spartan as you can get.

The only true victim here is the truth as both sides are heavily biased in the views they are trying to express.
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
The only true victim here is the truth as both sides are heavily biased in the views they are trying to express.
I have problems following this discussion:

1. Whaling is illegal. That's a simple fact.
2. The Japanese justifiy there whale hunting as on "scientific" purpose. That's an very obvious ly, because there is no scientific benefit in hunting large numbers of whales in a small sea area. Science has progressed beyond simply hunting animals… Anyway, they sell the whale meat on the free market and make good money out of it. Not exactly what I would understand as being scientific.
3. it is very obvious, that nobody would ram a massive whaling vessel with a small fibre-Trimaran. That's suicide. And though conservation activists sure long for the public, they are not suicidal. The whaling vessel is the culprit.
4. if the activists block whaling vessels or try to protect the whales, they are basically trying to prevent an illegal activity. That's what I expect from good citizens!

Ben
01-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm personally against the Japanese whaling operations, however what Watson and his Sea Shepards do borders on insanity. If you stand on the train tracks long enough you are eventually going to get flattened and thats just what happened here.

01-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I have problems following this discussion:

1. Whaling is illegal. That's a simple fact.
2. The Japanese justifiy there whale hunting as on "scientific" purpose. That's an very obvious ly, because there is no scientific benefit in hunting large numbers of whales in a small sea area. Science has progressed beyond simply hunting animals… Anyway, they sell the whale meat on the free market and make good money out of it. Not exactly what I would understand as being scientific.
3. it is very obvious, that nobody would ram a massive whaling vessel with a small fibre-Trimaran. That's suicide. And though conservation activists sure long for the public, they are not suicidal. The whaling vessel is the culprit.
4. if the activists block whaling vessels or try to protect the whales, they are basically trying to prevent an illegal activity. That's what I expect from good citizens!

Ben
The actions of both sides has endangered the lives of both. I am not condoning whaling for a second. It is within everyones right to protest but not when there is no need to maliciously cause damage that could kill or injure someone (such as the laser incident). They play with fire, antagonising and inciting an incident and then one does occur they run off telling tales as if they were doing nothing to provoke it.

Just saying that both sides are as bad as each other in a messy and awful situation.
01-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have watched this Sea Shepherd in action on TV, and personally, I think the entire crew are a bunch of dope smoking hippies using Whales as an excuse to collect large sums of cash from animal rights supporters to get out on the open sea and party.
I recall one episode where they went out in their small boat to attack the Japanese Mother Ship with some sort of stink bombs......and after much difficulty in getting to the ship and in position, they realized they had forgotten the stink bombs. These guys are just not your sharpest tacks in the box.

Having said that, I am all for protecting whales, and think there should be strong International protection....something like surface to surface missiles would be my preference for the Japanese ships instead of a few stink bombs.

Meanwhile, for the animal supporters here....I fight my own war with this guy all the time...he is a known Squirrel Killer and is dangerous and evil to the bone. He came over to this Forum once, and thankfully, you guys ran him off. If anyone wants to donate to the Festus Squirrel Fund, just send me a PM and I will give you all the information......Paypal and Visa accepted.
BTW- Not a penny of your cash will go for dope smoking......sometimes I buy a bottle of fine Cognac, but this is dangerous work and I only use it to steady my nerves while dealing with the Evil One.
Any help will be appreciated, he is now recruiting other Squirrel Haters, and has a sidekick only known as the "Pooper Guy" ...this is very serious, and we need to nip this in the bud before Handsome Squirrels worldwide are exterminated.........although the extermination of Squirrels is about as likely as someone actually inventing a working Squirrel-Proof feeder......
Regards!
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 01-07-2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
01-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Agreed. Put yourself in harm's way, be ready to suffer the consequences.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'm personally against the Japanese whaling operations, however what Watson and his Sea Shepards do borders on insanity. If you stand on the train tracks long enough you are eventually going to get flattened and thats just what happened here.
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've basically got no sympathy for the Japanese in this: crassly claiming commercial whaling is 'research' and still violating international law?

No one should be surprised these kinds of encounters get tense and angry to say the least, but someone's gotta do it, I think.

Even if you don't care for whales... Where are they going to 'research' next? Maybe they'll 'research' bringing back driftnets and dragnets to protected fisheries the rest of the world's hoping will recover...

I think the only thing they're *researching* is how much they can get away with.

We're in general taking too much from and destroying too much of the oceans: plenty of fishing industries have gone through plenty of hurting economically so that there'll be a chance of things recovering. If Japan flouts the treaties, who else will, and what will be the result?
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Where is the humanity here? Poor little Squirrels are being persecuted by Evildoers, and not a word of support for their cause......or a few dollars in change to help set up secure feeding areas worldwide where friendly little furrballs can eat in peace and safety, and avoid those nasty transformers and electrical lines......you know, the ones that make your home go dark when a poor little Squirrel is electrocuted while trying to gnaw your phone/cable connection to shreds. Just a kind word or a weeks paycheck can make a difference in their lives. I know you all are very busy, and typing is tiresome and time consuming....so you can bypass the kind words and just send the cash if desired?
Regards!
Rupert
01-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would like to see whaling stopped, but as far as the Sea Shepherd getting their boat banged up goes; even if an alligator is doing something he shouldn't be you don't grab him by the tongue and complain because you got bit.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-07-2010 at 10:16 AM.
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Parallax, I am disappointed in you....I thought you were the one person my Squirrels could count on in their hour of need. It's not too late...Paypal works 24/7 and I guarantee a warm feeling will engulf your spirit after a hefty donation. We can't all get out there and ram giant ships with tiny rafts while trying to keep a joint lit in the heavy seas...but we can help those starving Squirrels.....
Regards
01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Parallax, I am disappointed in you....I thought you were the one person my Squirrels could count on in their hour of need. .............
I am absolutely on the side of the squirrels! My wife gets mad at every time one of the local squirrels empties the bird feeder because I won't do anything to squirrel-proof it. Squirrels have to eat too ya know!