Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer my friend is "blowing in the wind"....No! It is right here!

"Rupert, I think this may explain a lot:

"Gay Propaganda Tactics: In their 1989 book “After the Ball,” homosexual ideologues Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen advised fellow “gay” activists to show the public “images of ranting homohaters whose associated traits and attitudes appall and anger Middle America” — by equating pro-family opponents to Nazis, the Klan, etc. Twenty years later, homosexuals are using the same dirty tactics against people of faith — suggesting that Christian and church opposition to homosexuality causes violence against homosexuals. Such lies are part of the Gay Lobby’s ends-justifies-the-means campaign to win superior legal rights that undermine historic American religious freedoms."

And we just thought she was paranoid. Apparently its an organized campaign. BUSTED!

gay-on-gay-violence "

Yep! BUSTED AGAIN!

01-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
The KFC thing is kind of weird over here, to say the least. I don't think you can lay the blame on 'PC' for it existing, though. It's certainly petty and bizarre, but some racists *do* use 'Black people eat at KFC' as some kind of attack. Gods know what it's about, (I presume it has something to do with it being seen as a particularly low-rent fast food, possibly that when a lot of black folks migrated out of the South, they brought their cuisine with them, and it became associated with old 'outsiderness' but the racist use of the brand most certainly happens.
It is due to it being fried chicken, back in the slavery days the slaves were allowed to raise chickens for food (no beef etc) so chicken in its various forms was a staple. Fried chicken was a special way to cook it that was popular and carried through after slavery to the point it became a stereotype. KFC since they primarily serve fried chicken are pulled in
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The recurring theme is that you can't make a post about ANYTHING without somehow trying to make it about gays.
Actually, it's more like I can't contest any of you lot's assertions about anything political or social without *you* being crude about it or trying to discredit 'All This PC stuff.'

I don't think you can actually hear yourselves on this stuff, actually.

Just like with any other group, (I just happen to be in a couple presently-OK-to-some-to-be-bigoted about,) the bigots of *course* say, "Past bigotries were made-up, and we're not doing the same thing right now. Shut up."

This whole thing has turned of course, to a thing for certain conservatives to say, "See, everything and everyone we call PC is full of it! I don't want to know/don't want to understand how anyone could *possibly* see it any differently!"
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, it's more like I can't contest any of you lot's assertions about anything political or social without *you* being crude about it or trying to discredit 'All This PC stuff.'

I don't think you can actually hear yourselves on this stuff, actually.

Just like with any other group, (I just happen to be in a couple presently-OK-to-some-to-be-bigoted about,) the bigots of *course* say, "Past bigotries were made-up, and we're not doing the same thing right now. Shut up."

This whole thing has turned of course, to a thing for certain conservatives to say, "See, everything and everyone we call PC is full of it! I don't want to know/don't want to understand how anyone could *possibly* see it any differently!"
Now I really am worried about you, RML. You forgot to bash Christians in that post. Are you feeling OK?

01-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The answer my friend is "blowing in the wind"....No! It is right here!

"Rupert, I think this may explain a lot:

"Gay Propaganda Tactics: In their 1989 book “After the Ball,” homosexual ideologues Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen advised fellow “gay” activists to show the public “images of ranting homohaters whose associated traits and attitudes appall and anger Middle America” — by equating pro-family opponents to Nazis, the Klan, etc. Twenty years later, homosexuals are using the same dirty tactics against people of faith — suggesting that Christian and church opposition to homosexuality causes violence against homosexuals. Such lies are part of the Gay Lobby’s ends-justifies-the-means campaign to win superior legal rights that undermine historic American religious freedoms."

And we just thought she was paranoid. Apparently its an organized campaign. BUSTED!

gay-on-gay-violence "

Yep! BUSTED AGAIN!

Yes, what you and the churches say *does* cause violence against LBGT people (and people just perceived to be.) All the crude jokes and saying "You don't count, cause we think you're awful, cause the Bible says it's OK, but unlike what the SBC said about *race,* and what Christians have said about *other ethnicities* and *other sects* and *aboriginal peoples* and *Jews* and lepers and Moors... Well, this time we're absolutely and forever righteous. Unlike the last time we said that. You're making it up. And it has *nothing* to do with a legacy of bigotry and brutality that just *happens* to turn a lot of trivialities into slurs.

That book you quote is roundly-discredited and was actually caught *manufacturing some idea of a 'gay conspiracy' by ...Totally ignoring the fact that what they quote as a 'secret agenda' was *announced to be satire immediately-above the text they clipped.* *

As for you guys looking like Nazis, well, check out the propaganda film 'The Eternal Jew.' Compare and (if possible) contrast 'The Homosexual Agenda' movie and the usual accusations you guys make.

Heck, they dug up an *overtly-anti-miscegenation law from the nineteen teens* so that Massachusetts wouldn't let *out of state* LBGT people get married there.

Same Godsforsaken arguments. Just different targets.

How you guys think it's *so* beyond the Pale that fried chicken could *possibly* have anything to do with racism, when you couldn't go five minutes without finding a way to apply it to homophobia right here on this board... Then act 'Why you gotta bring you existing into this?' .... I dunno.

But it's manifest that it can happen. In Australia, maybe the particular instance makes no sense. But here's how it happens.

Check this out: "How to Write An Anti-Gay Tract In Fifteen easy Steps:"

How To Write An Anti-Gay Tract In 15 Easy Steps

You have the *gall* to bring that crap you cite before this board in the world, proselytize at *me* in PMs, and then call yourself 'morally-superior?'

You take this *propaganda* you cite as some indicator and 'proof' of *my* character, and all those you consider 'like me...' then make crude innuendoes if I speak on my own civil rights or experience of bigotry and say, 'Why'd you have to bring your 'sin' into this?'

Same lines as ever. "X scapegoated group is evil, against God, disease-ridden, libertine, drunken, after your women, after your children, trying to 'recruit' people, and lazy bums who also happen to be (undeservaedly) filthy rich 'elites' and also Commies... By merely existing, they're responsible for everything our previous right-wing agendas have screwed up about the world... We're actually helping them by 'defending' ourselves against them by... Accusing them of all these things and blaming them for the effects of what we do to them ourselves and demand we do more of, or *terrible things* will happen.... "

Fill in black people, Irish people, Jews, indigenous peoples, 'immigrants,' ... 'libruls,' labor unions... Anyone you please.

That's how it's done.

Hel, "Fundies' still use discredited 'studies' of LBGT people, when their sample was entirely made up of people pounded to madness in one way or another and *committed to insane asylums* to "prove" that being gay was a mental illness, as compared to the general population.... Thus advocate, of course, more brutal mistreatment.

Every time. Till the next time.

*Actual* peer-reviews science shows, like with race, that orientation is *not* an indicator of social maladies, but rather, people under social and economic stress are pretty uniform about them, whatever the pretext. In America, that usually means ...how much money you have. A conspicuous exception is actually... Fundamentalist religion. The more 'devout' a conservative Christian you are, the more likely there is to be abuse, violence, depression, infidelity, divorce, and the rest, in your family, bypassing all economic indicators.

Whereas, poor health, mental health, and economic outcomes for your own LBGT kids (most especially suicide rates: and I know from sad fact that a lot of 'gun-cleaning accidents,' well... correlate *directly* to how much their family and community spout nonsense and scorn like yours. People who don't hate or fear or scorn their own gay kids and say it's 'God' 'Normalcy' and 'The Nature of the world,' ...surprise surprise, have healthier and happier and more-successful kids.

To try and veer back toward topic, here, it's very similar with 'race' and things attached to 'race.' The only difference there is that if it's racial or ethnic, at least you have family going through the same thing.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2010 at 12:46 PM.
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Here is this week's menu at our faculty dining room.

Last edited by Blue; 04-16-2010 at 09:23 PM.
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is this week's menu at our faculty dining room.
Anybody remember Hee-Haw? That sounds like what Grandpa Jones would give as an answer in the "What's For Dinner, Grandpa? skits"

01-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kelarch Quote
It's a racist sterotype in the US.
It's unfortunate that is has to be considered as such when indeed there is neither the intent nor the content to allude to it.
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Problem is that alot of the PC crowd are in fact the racists themselves. I remember another KFC ad back in the early '70s depicting a young black girl saying "I like it better than stewed tomatoes". This add was quietly taken off the air after several civil rights groups complained and threatened boycotts. I was in 5th grade at the time and had a very liberal english teacher named Ms. Levy. She used the classroom to push her ideas on the kids. One day she brought up the ad and told us kids how WASPS were the problem in America. She went on and on about food stereo types :

stewed tomatoes , watermellon ,fried chicken = Black
potatoe pancakes , pickled herring , bagels = Jewish
beans , pina colladas = Hispanic

When I raised my hand and said I disagreed with her she got all bent out of shape , gave me detention and sent me to the principal's office for making racist remarks.

These millitant civil rights activists take themselves too seriously ! They look for problems in places where the problem really doesn't exist! They then pat themselves on the back for successfully stepping all over the rights of others!
That is appaling Ken! You were discriminated against by the 'liberal' English teacher first with unwarranted punishment then by mark demotion. I wonder the motive sometimes for why we se out to be cruel to each other.

So what if a light-hearted stereotypical reference is made (and in your case this was not even inferred)? No-one's using it to demean or discriminate against any group. Where I would draw the line is if it causes people to take serious offense. Because there is no intention of creating such tension...

QuoteQuote:

Ash , there are some people reading this thread right now that actually believe that you are a racist for starting it!
No doubt Ken.
I can't change what people believe any more than I can change the weather.
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Anybody remember Hee-Haw? That sounds like what Grandpa Jones would give as an answer in the "What's For Dinner, Grandpa? skits"
Exactly! bigthumbsup And the food is very well prepared.
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I find that the more racist a person is the more likely he his to find racism in something where none was intended. Just an observation.
Counter-transference...
It's true, not just an observation.
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Ellen DeGeneress doing a commercial for Trojan Super Sizers....now that is funny...but over the line. Lots of stuff is truly over the line, but more stuff is not. We apparently no longer know the difference?
Regards!
In the name of being PC we're shrinking the comedy realm and replacing it with ignorance only shared behind closed doors. Soon we'll all be boring straight-faced geeks who forgot how to laugh...
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's unfortunate that is has to be considered as such when indeed there is neither the intent nor the content to allude to it.
To be clear, I for one am not the 'PC person' some of these guys want to blame the whole thing on. I am not inclined to attribute particular malice to it in its own context (Though it does seem you brought it up for a reason of your own.)

With an international Net thing going on, toes are bound to be stepped on. If someone in Hong Kong makes a video of someone in a bowler and orange shirt that decides to 'appease' Irish soccer fans with a Guinness, it might not play well in Southie, either.

Doesn't mean there's *malice,* (How the Hel *is* anyone in Oz supposed to know what resonance KFC has, anyway?) ... also doesn't mean there's not history there. Notably, it doesn't mean someone elsewhere viewing it might not legitimately find it demeaning. Now, I don't know cricket, but I'd rather someone blundered into it once in a while than be living where people know darn well how insulting that's 'supposed' to be, but maybe it's not about *you.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2010 at 01:03 PM.
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
It is due to it being fried chicken, back in the slavery days the slaves were allowed to raise chickens for food (no beef etc) so chicken in its various forms was a staple. Fried chicken was a special way to cook it that was popular and carried through after slavery to the point it became a stereotype. KFC since they primarily serve fried chicken are pulled in
A remark of historical relevance doesn't have to infer a racial slur, though.
So the slaves ate lots of chicken. Saying that today's Af-Am people generally like chicken (whether or not as a result of this) is now insulting?

We need to chill out.
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

In the name of being PC we're shrinking the comedy realm and replacing it with ignorance only shared behind closed doors. Soon we'll all be boring straight-faced geeks who forgot how to laugh...
I'm still not sure what 'over the line' Rupert insists we're all supposed to know about/be aghast at, there. ...Which may only go to the main point... The 'Christian Conservatives' insist someone out there is representing everyone in 'foolishly' saying something was racist, despite history, deploying the usual slurs to 'discredit' anyone who elucidates what she knows of the history, then says: "Ellen Degeneris, hey, ah? Know what I mean?"
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter

A remark of historical relevance doesn't have to infer a racial slur, though.
So the slaves ate lots of chicken. Saying that today's Af-Am people generally like chicken (whether or not as a result of this) is now insulting?

We need to chill out.
That's why I posted our faculty dining room menu. If someone were to do a parody of our dining room, I may take issue with it.