Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #31
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
The problem is that it has been taken completely out of context. It is not meant to be a white man trying to appease black people. It was about an Australian cricket fan trying to appease fans of the West Indies cricket team, who are touring Australia at the moment.

It is like an outsider being amongst the opposing teams fans in any sport. Like being seated amongst the Cheeseheads at a Green Bay Packer game for NFL, amongst the Man U red fans while you wear Chelsea Blue or trying to keep the Tifosi Ferrari fans happy.

It is definitely not about black people vs white people, race, colour or creed. Just the team they support.

The YouTube video and the way it is presented it wrong and is very misleading in its introduction to the ad. It is deliberately trying to stir up trouble where none exists.

It is part of a series of ads, all featuring the same Australian cricket fan. If this ad is supposed to be racist, then it also is degrading to Parents-In-Laws, loud friends and Girlfriends.
Well put, and it's pretty clear no racial prejudice was intended.
The issue is that it was aired on Aussie TV for Aussies only. The internet, good as it is, shares it with the rest of the world, and of course some Americans took offense and voiced the strong opinion out on US talk shows.

On Mediabistro, Kiran Aditham writes of the ad: "Here, a flustered white guy gets out of an "awkward situation" - which in this case appears to mean being stuck in a crowd of happy, cheering black people at a sporting event - by ordering in fried chicken."

Meanwhile, Buzzfeed's Jack Shephard introduced the video by saying, "What's a white guy to do when he awkwardly finds himself in a crowd full of black folks? KFC has the answer".

This is all headline news now around the world... we need to get some humour in us.

01-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's why I posted our faculty dining room menu. If someone were to do a parody of our dining room, I may take issue with it.
Frankly, that just looked like more noise to me. As I began by saying, I *assure* you I really don't know why bigots go ahead and use KFC as some, "Hey, they eat at KFC, you know, ah?" ...bigoted characterization.

Doesn't make *sense,* really, but it does have a history, and it *is in fact done.* I wouldn't expect everyone in the world to *know* that, but it's not just something 'PC people' made up.
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is this week's menu at our faculty dining room.
Only someone looking for trouble would make that a big deal (or a deal at all for that matter).
Let's just enjoy the light-hearted humour it intentionally (or as in this case unintentionally) offers.
01-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Only someone looking for trouble would make that a big deal (or a deal at all for that matter).
Let's just enjoy the light-hearted humour it intentionally (or as in this case unintentionally) offers.
It's... Not necessarily-'enjoyable' or 'light-hearted' to everyone, Ash. Nor is anyone here *but you and conservatives* 'making a big deal of it.'

I tried to go into *why* people may find that offensive in the US, but it seems you're more interested intrying to prove something else about it.

Gods know how many black people here were taunted in school over, 'Your family eats at Kentucky-fried-chicken.' It's *stupid,* like many things said here about me and many people who *aren't* here, but that doesn't mean someone pulled it out of nowhere just to give you a hard time.

01-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Frankly, that just looked like more noise to me. As I began by saying, I *assure* you I really don't know why bigots go ahead and use KFC as some, "Hey, they eat at KFC, you know, ah?" ...bigoted characterization.

Doesn't make *sense,* really, but it does have a history, and it *is in fact done.* I wouldn't expect everyone in the world to *know* that, but it's not just something 'PC people' made up.
Everybody has some degree of bigotry with regard to something. Anyone who denies it is a liar. It varies in all of us as to what we are bigoted against and to what extent , but you take the prize. RML, YOU seem to me to be the biggest bigot on this forum. You hate everything and everybody that isn't exactly as the voices in your head say they should be. I have never encountered anybody as filled with rage, bitterness, and disdain for their fellow man as you seem to be.
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #36
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A remark of historical relevance doesn't have to infer a racial slur, though.
So the slaves ate lots of chicken. Saying that today's Af-Am people generally like chicken (whether or not as a result of this) is now insulting?

We need to chill out.
I agree, I was just providing what I knew of why it may be taken wrong. If a company in the US made such a comercial I would wholeheartedly call it a dumbass move but since it is an Austrailian company (well branch) it is entirely different. A company cant be responsible for knowing all the trigger points all over the world unless they are marketing to the whole world
01-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Everybody has some degree of bigotry with regard to something. Anyone who denies it is a liar. It varies in all of us as to what we are bigoted against and to what extent , but you take the prize. RML, YOU seem to me to be the biggest bigot on this forum. You hate everything and everybody that isn't exactly as the voices in your head say they should be. I have never encountered anybody as filled with rage, bitterness, and disdain for their fellow man as you seem to be.
Actually, Parallax, that's just more projection on your part. *Yes* when you come on and feel fully-entitled to answer probably a two-page essay with implications *I* must do something 'indecent' with fried chickens, then claim you're the one someone's being 'bigoted against,' I hold contempt for what *you* say.

Because of what you say. To me. Regardless of what *I* say.

If I say something you don't like, you say 'I don't understand, you must be crazy, instead, I'll continue to demean you as though I'd proved it as some objective truth, maybe call it 'Godly.'

Yes, I have 'voices in my head,' dude. This is supposed to be *normal.* It's called 'thought.'

Sometimes even *communication.*

You may claim I hate everything in 'the world.'

But what *you say,* is not my world.

Maybe it shouldn't be *yours,* either. Plenty of others have actual people in them.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.
01-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #38
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
I agree, I was just providing what I knew of why it may be taken wrong. If a company in the US made such a comercial I would wholeheartedly call it a dumbass move but since it is an Austrailian company (well branch) it is entirely different. A company cant be responsible for knowing all the trigger points all over the world unless they are marketing to the whole world
Right. But in the end the ad was retracted anyway from Aussie TV, the only place it was being aired...
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Damn good looking menu! I'd like to place an order myself. Believe me, Black people are far less sensitive than their "white protectors", and they sure as hell know more about great food.
Regards!
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Damn good looking menu! I'd like to place an order myself. Believe me, Black people are far less sensitive than their "white protectors", and they sure as hell know more about great food.
Regards!
That's like saying Italians think Olive Garden is 'Great Food.'

Or, like, Irish and Italians can maybe be like, 'Hey, let's go to the '99', and maybe get whacked!. Funny among ourselves, ...Not so funny when someone else says it differently.

Or like the lady down here last year that got put in a hospital in front of her kid for being black and walking into an aptly-named 'Cracker Barrel' ..and the assailant was on the streets an hour later cause someone thought 'hate crimes' were just something 'PC' someone made up and made sure there were no laws in place.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter

RML,

What the hell are you talking about? Noise? Olive Garden?
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Eh, go back to sleep, Blue.
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Regards!
Its top fare prepared by our people.bigthumbsup
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Ratlady, you apparently don't know much about Black people or food.....just what do you know about other than LGBT's....that is mostly all we ever hear from you? Broaden your horizon, there is much more in the world than"perceived persecutions"...including some damned fine food. Olive Garden...overpriced and lacking in originality, but still not half bad. Maybe not better than a Corn Dog on a stick...just depends on who is doing the ordering.....
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Ratlady, you apparently don't know much about Black people or food.....just what do you know about other than LGBT's.
Unlike how you like to portray it when you show off your breeding prowess every time I mention the realities of my own life and what I have seen and experienced, (Which just so happen to not be something 'PC people' made up just to enjoy your oh-so-civil company...

Even call yourself 'Christian' by *doing* this, when you *know* I've had my own child taken away on the very rationales you defend, while denying... Then say by extension that 'Racism never existed, either, give us more of the same!'

...Well. I happen to know how some of this stuff that vexes the world so *works,* cause I'm the one getting it in *this* particular lifetime, and I happen to be both observant and not *dead.*

QuoteQuote:
...that is mostly all we ever hear from you? Broaden your horizon, there is much more in the world than"perceived persecutions"
What, like how you behave when you claim to be 'persecuted' if someone has the temerity to say 'Ow, you're still hurting us? ...Or say, 'Go away, shut up, we don't have to listen to you, we're 'better.' 'Why do we keep doing the same things over and over again and then 'wrestle' with the idea others are human? It must be them *saying* we're not already perfect! That's where the problem comes from! PC! Oppressing me, and my 'just fun!' Don't anyone else have no 'fun,' though, that's 'sin!'

You say things you know are hurtful, Rupert. You displace them and then claim you can't possibly be doing it, ...it must be 'Someone else bringing sex into things! That's why we 'must' sexually-harass-everyone we see as 'different!'

Sex isn't that big a part of my life, Rupert. Certain violence and health effects of what you say kind of saw to that. Some Christians would cheer about this. Unless of course it means that they can't claim I'm living some 'lifestyle' they used to claim to be 'saving' me from in the first place. (As an excuse to use government to deny me civil justice about the kinda-quiet life I'd really rather have about now with those I love.)

You are doing to me, and so many others, the same thing that was done to black people.

Not too long ago.

Your denial is irrelevant. Your behavior toward me... Unbecoming of what you claim to be.

Your ignorance is fixable... Your *madness* about it... That's up to you.

I'm not just a queer person. I'm Irish. Italian. Bostonian. I'm a child of marines and cops and firefighters and the Seventies and Eighties and Canon and Pentax and exlpoding gel-packs and stupid lighting schemes and lousy pay and MOBridezillas and.... ...All the same things people here claim to think I'm not, if they can wave babies and pinups and say, 'You are what I believe is illicit sex!'

You guys are the only ones here who seem to believe my life is somehow defined by what you think of what you imagine is my 'lifestyle.'

Or what you feel entitled to say about it.

You stick your fingers in your ears and go 'Nananananana-unclean!' if I try to tell you some reality.

You claim, 'Oh, race. Race, that's easy, that neverhappened, anyway, why you PC people saying I'm not totally righteous if I wanna say no one should complain if I want to be insensitive?!'

'But you're 'evil and against all good, of course., Why do you have to bring *that* into it. This has *nothing* to do with past bigotry, justified by religion, politics, fear, and dehumanization of others we were so indignant about them speaking up before! This time! Righteous me All about forgiveness and repentance, unless it's *me,* of course! It's you! '

I find you pathetic, actually, Rupert.

Among others.

You don't even believe what you demand I do. You lack the courage of your own excuses. I think what it is is someone taught you to be *terrified* that 'God' is as small-minded as the worst of yourself.

I don't believe that's what you *think* you believe in means.

I think you're better. Somewhere in there. But you treat me badly, and if I say 'Ow,' you treat me *worse.* Cause you're *afraid. * Not of 'badness,' I think. But that *goodness is not copyright.*

I still say, 'Ow.'

I still say, 'Here's how this bad stuff works...' While I live to tell. I hope to forget one day.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2010 at 04:12 PM.