Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I look at composition first, guestimate any exposure compensation, and check the histogram. Never talk about bokay. Essentially never shoot in M. Never use a big tripod except for fireworks, though the 6" version and a monopod get used from time to time. I'm I might take 10 shots of the subject, or just 1, as needed or allowed. Keep the good ones, toss the bad ones. Would never go back to film.

I don't know where that fits in.

01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Unprinted, one or one hundred frames viewed on an LCD screen cost the same, encouraging mediocrity.
IMO the inherent cost and finite nature of film demands one become a better photographer.

Chris
I suppose it can be,, (though I'm among one of those 'older film shooters' who treats the digital much like film, anyway. ) Though sometimes I feel that pressure-toward-sloppiness with the digital, I also take more of the chancy or frivolous shots that I'd otherwise not burn the frames on. I consider digital to be like painting in a different medium.

It's kind of like acoustic v electric instruments, too, ...I was hanging out at a jam session and that eternal debate came up while a lot of the folks were having a break/tuning up or something, and someone was asking about the film/digital photography thing, ...I was like, 'Film is like acoustic,' (then I like leaned on the second-curtain synch with this and that... turned out to be a good shot, actually, ) 'This is like you get a wah-wah pedal.'
01-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I suppose it can be,, (though I'm among one of those 'older film shooters' who treats the digital much like film, anyway. ) Though sometimes I feel that pressure-toward-sloppiness with the digital, I also take more of the chancy or frivolous shots that I'd otherwise not burn the frames on. I consider digital to be like painting in a different medium.

It's kind of like acoustic v electric instruments, too, ...I was hanging out at a jam session and that eternal debate came up while a lot of the folks were having a break/tuning up or something, and someone was asking about the film/digital photography thing, ...I was like, 'Film is like acoustic,' (then I like leaned on the second-curtain synch with this and that... turned out to be a good shot, actually, ) 'This is like you get a wah-wah pedal.'

I'm hesitant to ask, but will anyhow. First the disclaimer.....I am not looking ofr trouble, have no "hidden agenda" and am simply curious....

" 'This is like you get a wah-wah pedal.' "

What does that mean.....I've never heard that phrase before?

Now.....the good side of being a "Snapper" is that if you snap enough, you are bound to get something decent once in a while. Sometimes, you can get a decent portrait just from a quick snap, a little cropping and some good luck! Like this one I shot of Anthony at my Mom's Christmas.
BTW-If anyone can buy a better zoom that the DA*50-135, you had better do it, but I doubt that is a possibility. One fine lens!

Last edited by Rupert; 01-09-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add
01-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm hesitant to ask, but will anyhow. First the disclaimer.....I am not looking ofr trouble, have no "hidden agenda" and am simply curious....

" 'This is like you get a wah-wah pedal.' "

What does that mean.....I've never heard that phrase before?
It's an 'effects pedal' used by some kinds of musicians, usually those with some connection to 'funk,' ...Like, you know the opening to Hendrix' 'Voodoo Chile?' I'm pretty sure he's using a wah-wah there.

The musicians among us could probably explain a lot better how it does what it does.

01-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's an 'effects pedal' used by some kinds of musicians, usually those with some connection to 'funk,' ...Like, you know the opening to Hendrix' 'Voodoo Chile?' I'm pretty sure he's using a wah-wah there.

The musicians among us could probably explain a lot better how it does what it does.
Oh, I understand now, I can almost hear it! Always wondered how they did that?
Thanks!
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Oh, I understand now, I can almost hear it! Always wondered how they did that?
Thanks!

I'd show the photo in question, but I'm still not comfortable putting photos of friends... or anyone, recognizeably, online, (This cramps my style, since most of my best work is in fact with people, and it seems no one cares anymore, in these days of facebook, but I still feel like it's the equivalent of plastering someone's face around town and I'm not so comfortable with it. I do try force it sometimes, knowing most don't share this hangup. Gonna be a hard thing to get over, I know. )

Anyway, you might see the metaphor, if I put it up. The musicians, (acoustic-loving bluegrass types) did. What I should probably do is go around and ask my friends (who often face my cameras) for general permission.
01-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have noticed that the older film shooters are much more careful with their composition and settings.
This photographer grew up in postwar Germany where film was very expensive.
He says it affects his shooting style to this day, even using digital.
Johann Schumacher Photography

Chris

01-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This photographer grew up in postwar Germany where film was very expensive.
He says it affects his shooting style to this day, even using digital.
Johann Schumacher Photography

Chris
It shows in the composition...some very nice work there. I think if there is one thing that applies to my main problems it is the two words "Slow Down". Check those settings, compose the shot, steady the camera. I'll never be a Great shooter....but I do get lucky once in a while....just like a blind hog.
Regards!& Thanks for that link!
Rupert
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I am a "Master Dolly Shooter".....well, I haven't actually reached the "Master" level, but I don't shoot brick walls, and my Dolly is certainly not meaningless! I shoot for fun and waste little time pixel peeping or comparing camera bodies...but do appreciate good glass and often make mental comparisons of the performance of different lenses. My two favorites...the DA*50-135....if there is a better lens out there you had better buy it! I also admire my Nokton 58mm F1.4.........Squirrels prefer the Bigma 50-500.
My Dolly

Pretty in pink!
i mentioned this before but SHE IS SOOOO ADORABLE! I need to get married.. soon.
01-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, that black and white shot of Dolly is absolutely gorgeous!! She's going to be a heartbreaker when she's older! Thanks for sharing!!