Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there a doctor in the house...not for the faint of heart....

I almost cut my thumb off in an accident....OK I am exaggerating but if there is any medical personel out there....tell me me what ya'll think.... a box cutter slash... it feels ok..... but looks bad......

Name:  Cut.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  38.3 KB

01-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Looks to me like it needs stitches (or staples, whatever they use nowadays).
01-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Looks to me like it needs stitches (or staples, whatever they use nowadays).
What I'm thinkin too Gary........
01-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Better safe than sorry.

01-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Better safe than sorry.
You know it and I'm gone (reluctantly) go. I hate when this happens... but I am lucky it aint as bad as it coulda been (or looks)..... Thanks mate!!!!!!
01-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Banned

I have cut myself with a box cutter more times than I care to count. (almost always after changing the blade) have a few scars to prove it. you have my sympathy mate.
01-10-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I have cut myself with a box cutter more times than I care to count. (almost always after changing the blade) have a few scars to prove it. you have my sympathy mate.
Thank you...right now it don't hurt....but I am left with one hand/arm untill I get this attended to.....hard typing with one hand. Damn this sux.....

01-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If I wanted a DIY remedy I'd get something like these.
Your pharmacist should be able to show you something along the lines that'll help you.
Letting it bleed is the best way to clean it. Although Antibiotics may be advisable in this case.
01-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Did you hit any muscle or tendons, or just fat and skin?

That doesn't look too bad. Mind you, years of internet access have desensitised me to viscera.

Butterfly clips would do it if it were a cut somewhere that doesn't get much use. See a doctor, or at least a pharmacist.
01-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Looks like a nice clean cut and it should heal quickly. Do what Little Laker suggests. Watch for redness indicating a spreading infection. If you have that get your butt in to an urgent care clinic immediatly. Deep infections in the hand are difficult to clear up and the hand is complex with muscle and tendons. A friend had a small hand dog bite that he let go and he was on an IV antibiotic routine for 6 months to clear up. Err on the side of caution.
01-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I have had deep cuts on my hands/fingers countless times. Never had stitches. Butterfly stitches and some form of antispetic like betadine and it should be fine.

The only other thing is trying not to knock it. If you do happen to knock it and it starts to bleed, that's when real stitches could be helpful. But looking at it, I don't think that would happen.

I'm not a doctor There are a few on here though.
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its just a flesh wound and I had it looked at. Thank you all who replied for your insight. Good folks here on this forum. I was advised to put an antiseptic on it and keep it clean and bandaged until it scabs over and to also be careful with my boxcutter next time....
01-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By Golly Res, you are a Black man! I guess noticing that is not PC ......right! LOL! And you are from Texas, and have a nice Squirrel shot in your Gallery....it doesn't get much better than this for old Rupert!

I had an almost identical cut from cutting shingles for the roof cap about 20 years ago, very nasty and cut some nerves....got about 8-10 stitches because I just couldn't get the bleeding to stop. Lost feeling in my lower thumb for about 10 years and then it came back. I'd have it looked at if I was you, sure as hell don't want any infection. Tetanus still kills lots of people......make sure your tetanus shot is up to date. I don't want to lose a Black man here, I am already outnumbered......honestly, I don't want to lose anyone here, even those right wingers that are always trying to take my head off.
Regards!
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 01-10-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
01-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
By Golly Res, you are a Black man! I guess noticing that is not PC ......right! LOL! And you are from Texas, and have a nice Squirrel shot in your Gallery....it doesn't get much better than this for old Rupert!

I had an almost identical cut from cutting shingles for the roof cap about 20 years ago, very nasty and cut some nerves....got about 8-10 stitches because I just couldn't get the bleeding to stop. Lost feeling in my lower thumb for about 10 years and then it came back. I'd have it looked at if I was you, sure as hell don't want any infection. Tetanus still kills lots of people......make sure your tetanus shot is up to date. I don't want to lose a Black man here, I am already outnumbered......honestly, I don't want to lose anyone here, even those right wingers that are always trying to take my head off.
Regards!
Rupert
Thanks Rupert. Yes I am all of the above. And I intend to get more squirrel shots; were I live in Hoiston, the trees aint big enough.... it is a fairly new home. But I have relatives who have older trees and I intend to capture the lil fellas as they climb and jump about....and eat.....Stay tuned Rupert. I am dusting off my cameras starting with the shot from yesterday.....I have been out of photography for a while.....
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Thanks Rupert. Yes I am all of the above. And I intend to get more squirrel shots; were I live in Hoiston, the trees aint big enough.... it is a fairly new home. But I have relatives who have older trees and I intend to capture the lil fellas as they climb and jump about....and eat.....Stay tuned Rupert. I am dusting off my cameras starting with the shot from yesterday.....I have been out of photography for a while.....
Well, getting back into photography....that is exciting! Beats almost anything else I have done for my enjoyment in this life. If you like Squirrels, you might take a peek here....the shots start with my first efforts and as you will see as you go to the last page, they do get better with my experience. I use the 50-500 Bigma a lot and it really does a great job of bringing those little devils in close, although many of my Squirrels will eat out of my hand or a few like Fesuts or Baby Otis will actually pose for me on command.........Otis, he is always looking for a chance to bite me! Just remember.....Festus-Left Otis-Right......way off on the right! LOL!
Yard Squirrels Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
You can tell I love Squirrels! About 400+ shots there!
Regards
Rupert