Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Pat they actually do make some cigars in Haiti. I didn't think they did so I googled it. But he asked if they make good cigars. To that the answer of course is no. They use to make baseballs there though.
That's what I love about you George....you are totally biased against anything below your capitalistic standards, in particular the poor, and God help them if they are a little dark skinned too. You admitted that you had to check to see if they made cigars, but had already determined that they didn't make good ones. Pretty shameful if you ask me, but you sure as hell don't want to ask me, do you George?

I bet you are a cigar expert too....big fat Cubans? Right wingers are so good at bashing Cuba while smoking a fat Cuban...or lecturing us on family values from their observation point on the Appalachian Trail......I bet you fit right in.
Regards!

01-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's what I love about you George....you are totally biased against anything below your capitalistic standards, in particular the poor, and God help them if they are a little dark skinned too. You admitted that you had to check to see if they made cigars, but had already determined that they didn't make good ones. Pretty shameful if you ask me, but you sure as hell don't want to ask me, do you George?

I bet you are a cigar expert too....big fat Cubans? Right wingers are so good at bashing Cuba while smoking a fat Cuban...or lecturing us on family values from their observation point on the Appalachian Trail......I bet you fit right in.
Regards!
Actually Rupert I don't like cigars. And I like thin Cubans. And I can't bash Cubans without sleeping on the couch.

And contrary to what you think my heart goes out to the Haitian people. And so will some sort of a donation to Agape Flights. At least with them I know the supplies are going to the people. And also through our missions program at church. 100% of that money goes to our missionaries in Haiti. Our church pays for all expenses to get supplies there.
01-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Actually Rupert I don't like cigars. And I like thin Cubans. And I can't bash Cubans without sleeping on the couch.

And contrary to what you think my heart goes out to the Haitian people. And so will some sort of a donation to Agape Flights. At least with them I know the supplies are going to the people. And also through our missions program at church. 100% of that money goes to our missionaries in Haiti. Our church pays for all expenses to get supplies there.
Well, I can appreciate that George. I've got a whole box of fine Cubans, and if you were here I would give you one. Personally, being a low life l plumber, I like those cheap Rum soaked Crooks as much as the Cubans...or more. Maybe it is the "crook" part that draws my favor?

Now I don't know how you think George, I never have been a turtle on top of a fence post...and if I was I think I would realize that I must have had a little help, but have you ever wondered what made you so special as to not be born in the midst of poverty stricken Port-au-Prince? Did God look down and see you as someone more deserving? Smarter? Better educated? When I see such human tragedy, here or there or anywhere...or those suffering pain and disease, I always...always George....realize that it could have been me, I am no better and no different in the eyes of God......excepting maybe that I thank God countless times a day for all I have. And yes....I share.
Regards
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #34
graphicgr8s

Well, I can appreciate that George. I've got a whole box of fine Cubans, and if you were here I would give you one. Personally, being a low life l plumber, I like those cheap Rum soaked Crooks as much as the Cubans...or more. Maybe it is the "crook" part that draws my favor?

Now I don't know how you think George, I never have been a turtle on top of a fence post...and if I was I think I would realize that I must have had a little help, but have you ever wondered what made you so special as to not be born in the midst of poverty stricken Port-au-Prince? Did God look down and see you as someone more deserving? Smarter? Better educated? When I see such human tragedy, here or there or anywhere...or those suffering pain and disease, I always...always George....realize that it could have been me, I am no better and no different in the eyes of God......excepting maybe that I thank God countless times a day for all I have. And yes....I share.
Regards
Rupert, there but by the Grace of God go I.
And I too share. The old adage of better to give than receive holds very true in my heart Rupert. And I thank God I have always been able to give something. Not always money but something. Whether food, supplies or even just time. Even with the baby I still give. It's not always easy but we have always been blessed when we do.
Plus you may want to reread my previous post.

01-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And with a little editing:
.............I've got a whole box of fine Cubans,................... And yes....I share.
Regards
Can I give you my address?
01-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #36
graphicgr8s

Regards
Interesting Rupert. You not only rip people off with your plumbing rate but also smoke illegal cigars.
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, my employer sent a request for FF's who have their polio, typhoid and cholera vaccinations for a departure to Haiti in the next 24-48 hours.

We're sending a heavy rescue team, a collapse rescue team and some FF/Medics.

Shame I'm not up to date on those vaccines... I'd sign up to go give a hand.

Pat

01-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Interesting Rupert. You not only rip people off with your plumbing rate but also smoke illegal cigars.
Tuesday morning...little old lady called (86), she forgot to turn off the water and turn on the heat in her outside washroom......she said her meds are making her forgetful along with making her broke.

We took a look....all copper and all busted, wtr htr too. Five hours later and a lot of clean up and rounding up of parts.......$137.80. You can't charge nothing, they know better and it will hurt their pride......just hurt their pocketbook a little, the rest you bare yourself.
It is why when many have come and gone over the last 30 years I have never missed a lick...good times or bad. Never had to hock a tool or borrow a dime.....my customers have always kept me fed and clothed...and I have always treated every last one fair and honest. I don't work much any more, but I could work 7 days a week if I so desired.....my reputation is impeccable here.

Cubans...not all they are cracked up to be IMHO. Some I once bought in Puerto Rico were as good in my opinion...and certainly much cheaper.
Regards!
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Tuesday morning...little old lady called (86), she forgot to turn off the water and turn on the heat in her outside washroom......she said her meds are making her forgetful along with making her broke.

We took a look....all copper and all busted, wtr htr too. Five hours later and a lot of clean up and rounding up of parts.......$137.80. You can't charge nothing, they know better and it will hurt their pride......just hurt their pocketbook a little, the rest you bare yourself.
It is why when many have come and gone over the last 30 years I have never missed a lick...good times or bad. Never had to hock a tool or borrow a dime.....my customers have always kept me fed and clothed...and I have always treated every last one fair and honest. I don't work much any more, but I could work 7 days a week if I so desired.....my reputation is impeccable here.

Cubans...not all they are cracked up to be IMHO. Some I once bought in Puerto Rico were as good in my opinion...and certainly much cheaper.
Regards!
Great story Rupert...a humanitarian gesture...I like it!!!!
01-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

We do what we can...sometimes it is a little, sometimes it is a lot, but we do something! No need to wait until we can make an earth shatering contribution, just a little kind gesture, maybe buy someone a meal, give them a ride......little things count too! There was a story about a woman that gave a mite.......I liked that story.
Regards!
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #41
graphicgr8s

Just some musings. In Haiti they have a 7.0 and there are thousands dead. And I do feel for the survivors and those that lost loved ones. This isn't about that at all.
In Kalifornia we have a 7.0 in the 80's and there are 65-58 people dead. During the Clinton administration we gave aid to Haiti in the billions. And that was a good thing. This isn't about the Clinton ploitics at all. What happened to all the money we gave to infrastructure? We are now giving 100 million to Haiti. Will there be any accountability for the money?
01-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Well, my employer sent a request for FF's who have their polio, typhoid and cholera vaccinations for a departure to Haiti in the next 24-48 hours.

We're sending a heavy rescue team, a collapse rescue team and some FF/Medics.

Shame I'm not up to date on those vaccines... I'd sign up to go give a hand.

Pat
All the best to those who do go, then, ve2....

The prospect of some of those diseases has had me scared for people down there...they're certainly no joke in a situation like this. I understand wanting to go, though. I'm not even in any kind of condition for it and still want to be doing more than pray.

I'll have a good thought for them, anyway. I guess the airport's pretty backed up, now: a lot of relief planes came and there wasn't enough fuel there to send them on again,among other concerns. . I hope that's getting cleared up.
01-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Will there be any accountability for the money?
That was a rhetorical question, right?
01-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gotta put numbers aside during humanitarian efforts.
It's a large-scale catastrophe - in a country that didn't have much of a functional infrastructure in the first place. Not much going for it - but there are very needy people there now, and it won't be long before worsening need drives these desperate people to even more heinous acts.
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

*eyebrowraise.*