Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Google leaving China?

After cyber attacks on the Google infrastructure from China, targetting Google's Intellectual property and more specifically gmail accounts of human rights activists, Google plans to leave China if things do not change for the better.

From their Blog:

We launched Google.cn in January 2006 in the belief that the benefits of increased access to information for people in China and a more open Internet outweighed our discomfort in agreeing to censor some results. At the time we made clear that "we will carefully monitor conditions in China, including new laws and other restrictions on our services. If we determine that we are unable to achieve the objectives outlined we will not hesitate to reconsider our approach to China."

These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered--combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the web--have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China. We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

The entire blog can be read here: Official Google Blog: A new approach to China

01-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I heard that, nice to see them taking a stand. If that is what it is, I can't help being cynical.
01-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

and instead they will go back to monitoring and recording our north american activities instead and "do no evil"

google is big in china but half the size of the biggest search engine baidu

QuoteQuote:
China's search market was worth 2 billion yuan ($293 million) in the third quarter, up 38 percent, with homegrown leader Baidu well ahead with 63.9 percent followed by Google at 31.3 percent, according to research firm Analysys International.

"Google is taking a big share of (the China market), roughly 30 percent but it is not yet threatening Baidu.
Microsoft pegs China search market as top priority | Reuters
01-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So when did Google leave America when Jesus George was doing the exact same thing here? Is China any worse than Jesus George's America? Nope, identical. So much for "Google for Freedom"...just another sack of crap meant to draw attention and increase their revenue. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, all the major carriers participated in George's "let's eavesdrop on our citizens" program.....and most likely are still doing it. But we can't be concerned with that....we need to worry about China?
Regards!

01-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I heard that, nice to see them taking a stand. If that is what it is, I can't help being cynical.
How this will play out remains to be seen but this statement alone certainly puts China's feet to the fire.
01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

A little thread drift here

'AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, all the major carriers participated in George's "let's eavesdrop on our citizens" program.....and most likely are still doing it. '

That would be the Obama eavesdropping program for some time now. Odd that he doesn't want to shut that down like Club Gitmo huh? I wonder why. Maybe you can tell us now that we have Hope and Change driving the bus. It might be a great suggestion for him to run on for his second term provided he doesn't shut it down before hand. That with general security sloppiness should work well for a platform.

Back to Google/China
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Seems like I'm not the only one who doubts Googles real reasons. - Business: Money is the real reason for Google leaving China

01-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems like I'm not the only one who doubts Googles real reasons. - Business: Money is the real reason for Google leaving China
That's one of the worst-written articles I've ever read. Riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, not to mention that it doesn't have any concrete facts or an actual thesis.
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's one of the worst-written articles I've ever read. Riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, not to mention that it doesn't have any concrete facts or an actual thesis.

Sorry, I'll grade the next one before I provide the link.

The premise is logical though. If China decides to out-google, google, it will. No red tape to worry about, only 'RED' tape.
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry, I'll grade the next one before I provide the link.

The premise is logical though. If China decides to out-google, google, it will. No red tape to worry about, only 'RED' tape.
As I understand it, the national search engine was in place before Google entered the market there, no?
01-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As I understand it, the national search engine was in place before Google entered the market there, no?
I believe it was but from a cultural POV I'm sure the Chinese welcomed google's engine so that they could tweak their own.
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm just saying, the articles I've read recently stated that Google had gained like 38% market share in the last year, though they're still the minority. Give 'em another year and they'll own China too.
01-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I have no sympathy for Google. When they entered the Chinese market, there was a big flap that Google agreed to a certain amount of censorship when doing business in China. S'far's I'm concerned it's all about the money
01-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 440roadrunner Quote
I have no sympathy for Google. When they entered the Chinese market, there was a big flap that Google agreed to a certain amount of censorship when doing business in China. S'far's I'm concerned it's all about the money
Amen.

However, with all the buzz surrounding this, it's a bit of a PR sting to China.

...Not that they really care too much.
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Poor google can't handle the competition.