Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mandatory:
Boiled only. Not grilled, broiled, BBQ-ed, or fried.
Ketchup is a no-no. In fact, I think it may be a felony in some states.

Highly recommended but not mandatory that all be used:
tomato, peppers, mustard, onion, and sweet or bread-and-butter relish.

01-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

There are no street food vendors allowed in Montreal... they are illegal on public streets.

By law you need a fixed address to sell anything here, even door to door salesmen are illegal and can get fined or arrested.

The reasoning is that stores and restaurants pay property taxes and need all sorts of permits and insurance to operate, it's not fair that someone with a cart or a van who pays nothing to the city can just go park in front of them and sell food or goods. Then there are also liability, health and safety issues.

The only place you'll see any sorts of street vendors of food or beer is during festivals in a cordonned off area (like the JazzFest where they cordon off 3-4 city blocks), and those vendors are licensed by the city for that event.

Pat
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
There are no street food vendors allowed in Montreal... they are illegal on public streets.
By law you need a fixed address to sell anything here, even door to door salesmen are illegal and can get fined or arrested.................Pat
If tellemarketers are illegal too, then I"m moving to Montreal!
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here in Santa Fe we have some pretty amazing carts on the plaza. Carnitas, fajitas, and yes, a hot dog cart as well. All delicious and cheap.

If you go to Austin you'll see some cart food that'll blow yr mind.

01-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Inactive Account

'Smokies are sort of Ukrainian sausages...they go for $ 4.50...but they are good...all that old country European taste....'

I have had some really great sausage-in-a-roll sandwhiches from small street vendors in Germany. Just a whole three notches better than the average ball park dog here. The sausages were bigger and quite a variaty of tastes and I guess what goes in them. They were real meat, not a pre-chewed unholy paste like hot dogs. An old Hungarian neighighbor used to make his own really great sausages, lots of paprika and garlic they were great in a roll. The aroma would be with you for a full day.

Even market brand 'polish' kelbasa are usually crappy compared to the real thing kelbasa.

I am baffled why good euro style sausage sandwiches are not so popular here vs hot dogs.

And old German saying:
Know your sausage maker.
01-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
'Smokies are sort of Ukrainian sausages...they go for $ 4.50...but they are good...all that old country European taste....'

I have had some really great sausage-in-a-roll sandwhiches from small street vendors in Germany. Just a whole three notches better than the average ball park dog here. The sausages were bigger and quite a variaty of tastes and I guess what goes in them. They were real meat, not a pre-chewed unholy paste like hot dogs. An old Hungarian neighighbor used to make his own really great sausages, lots of paprika and garlic they were great in a roll. The aroma would be with you for a full day.

Even market brand 'polish' kelbasa are usually crappy compared to the real thing kelbasa.

I am baffled why good euro style sausage sandwiches are not so popular here vs hot dogs.

And old German saying:
Know your sausage maker.

Hey, you gotta go to the Upper Midwest for the real brats and stuff: anywhere lots of those same German type folks settled.

There's good kielbasa in Massachusetts, though. And don't forget Italian sausage from the North End. Now *that,* you grill.
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, you gotta go to the Upper Midwest for the real brats and stuff: anywhere lots of those same German type folks settled.
You have to be careful though about where in the Upper Midwest. Some places you're more likely to get lutefisk on a bun, sureyoubetcha.

01-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
Igilligan

Some of the Burrito buses in San Francisco are some of the best authentic 'madre & padre' food you can get.

Others just cater to the masses...

You pick and choose your Vans here.

Never had a hot dog, or frequent the standard roach coaches though.
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
They're illegal all across Canada, if you've signed the Do Not Call list. However good luck stopping them
I rarely get any calling, however the odd one gets through. I don't intentionally answer anything with 000-000-0000, or any 800 number calling me. However I did make the mistake of answering my backup phone on Christmas Eve, when it was one (no call display on that phone)
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Some of the Burrito buses in San Francisco are some of the best authentic 'madre & padre' food you can get.
Many years ago when I worked in San Francisco I would occasionally go down to Fisherman's Wharf and get fresh live clams. Just crack them in my hand, one against the other like walnuts, and eat them.
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to be careful though about where in the Upper Midwest. Some places you're more likely to get lutefisk on a bun, sureyoubetcha.
Oh, Gods, that stuff is one thing I couldn't get used to, ...reminds me too much of the bilgewater from a cod boat or something. I think I threatened to make haggis in retaliation.

Cudighi, though...

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-14-2010 at 03:38 PM.
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're illegal all across Canada, if you've signed the Do Not Call list. However good luck stopping them
I rarely get any calling, however the odd one gets through. I don't intentionally answer anything with 000-000-0000, or any 800 number calling me. However I did make the mistake of answering my backup phone on Christmas Eve, when it was one (no call display on that phone)
I'm live on the Prairies...we are on the do not call list for Telemarketers...they don't call us...think there is a big fine if they do call people on the not call list up here.
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
We have a Do Not Call list also, but it is only for residential numbers. My problem is the barrage of calls I get at my shop. I have gotten really creative at finding ways to piss them of as much as they pissed me off by calling. I got one so mad one time he hung up on me and then called me back a few minutes later to cuss me out. That was a great day!
01-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I wish they were!

But as mentioned up there, it is illegal for them to call someone on the Do Not Call list, and (knock on wood) since I've added my number to that list last fall I have not had a single telemarketer call me from Canada. Of course I still get the odd US or India based telemarketer once a month, and I simply hang up on them.

Pat
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oh, Gods, that stuff is one thing I couldn't get used to, ...reminds me too much of the bilgewater from a cod boat or something.
See? Something else we agree on. I love pickled herring though. Another Norwegian standard.