Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Top Victorian traffic cop caught speeding

Noticed this little article in the paper today..

Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay was snapped at 10km/h over the 70km/h limit by a covert speed camera as he drove through Tooborac on the Northern Highway on October 1.

He lost three demerit points and was fined $245.

Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay caught speeding through country town | News.com.au

From the mouth of Ken Lay:

"On this occasion I was very lucky - I didn't drift into a tree, I got snapped (by a speed camera).

"I need to be more aware. I'm luckier than a lot of Victorians who weren't. I'm still here to talk about it.

"Lots of people die in exactly those kinds of circumstances.

"It's been a valuable lesson for me."

God, what a bloody twat!
"I was very lucky - I didn't drift into a tree" Speeding makes you drift towards trees?
Sure he is some kind of pawn for the TAC (Transport Accident Commission), but this is the man that said on the TV- 'If you speed, we WILL catch you. They have only released this information today because of the Christmas blitz that was just on.

01-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

By just reading his comments, on your post I'd almost like to think that he should have his license pulled.... if he can't handle speeds 10kph (around 6mph) faster than most speed limits
01-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ah the hypocrisy, don't you just love it.
01-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

10kph over the 70kph limit? Come on...talk about a capital offense. (For the non metric folk out there, he was doing roughly 50mph in a 45mph zone.) Deport!!!!

Jason

01-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still, we ought to send him an old radar detector with the label "IRONY" under the alert light.
01-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
10kph over the 70kph limit? Come on...talk about a capital offense. (For the non metric folk out there, he was doing roughly 50mph in a 45mph zone.) Deport!!!!

Jason
Yes, but this is the same Police Officer who has been fronting a television traffic speed promotion over the last year, costing huge amounts of public money.

With hundreds of drivers + being charged & fined weekly for amounts ranging from approx $250.00 to $300 for the same offence as his.
01-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Aside from the hypocrisy, it makes me angry how our government and Police are almost always saying that speed is the main cause of road accidents. Yes I don't approve of people going 160kmh in a 90 zone, and yes it is ONE factor, but it's just far too easy for them to raise more cash by saying things like 'If you speed, we WILL catch you.' etc.

Sorry, major sore point. From a car guy who doesn't speed. :/

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady:
Still, we ought to send him an old radar detector with the label "IRONY" under the alert light.
Hey RML, I like this idea!
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget that the police are out catch you speeding, so the more time you spend on the road...the more likely you are to "speed".
I know all the aguments but I remain unconvinced that "speeding" has any real impact on the road toll... careless, inattentive and dangerous driving does, but thats harder to catch.
I shall remain a cynic, based on what I see on the road every time I venture out.

01-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It is the countless warnings we have witnessed on television and gigantic 'message trailers' that makes us really wonder. Myself, I rode/drove past a massive billboard of this guy, every bloody week day, with captions below his face, "We'll stop you before you hurt someone".. or something along the lines of. This whole situation is an absolute disappointment.

Jason,
Interestingly, motorcycles, (associated with reckless speeding), recorded a 14% reduction in the road toll in 2009, when car divers recorded a 10% increase. The lowest road toll on record can actually, for once, be attributed to riders.

Last edited by fractal; 01-16-2010 at 01:51 AM.
01-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
speeding fines are just revenue raising.

everyone knows it.

i have a relative that is a police officer and wont give out speeding fines because its immoral :P (and they'd be a hypocrite!)
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
speeding fines are just revenue raising.

everyone knows it.

i have a relative that is a police officer and wont give out speeding fines because its immoral :P (and they'd be a hypocrite!)
At least someone recognises it!!

Grant - yeah, I agree with you, good points. Sometimes it's nice to know that other people have similar opinions to myself

Carl - I don't ride, but have many mates that do. I'd say that's pretty impressive. I guess one thing about bikes is that you have to always pay attention? It's almost too easy to get distracted in a nice comfortable car.
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Immoral? How so? We're all hypocrites in one way or another.
It's the job of the young constables to be on the road and catch offenders of the road rules. Their justification is the law, which is based on road engineer recommendations and traffic accident research. However way it is seen, the road toll is not decreasing and neither is the prevalence of speeding.

I'm with Grant that wreckless or inattentive driving is a greater risk of causing harm than speeding - up to a point. Can't argue how dangerous it is driving at 100km/h in a small suburbian road.

Then there's diversion to attention by mobile phones and the like. The rules were made to actively prevent unnecessary loss of life. The extent to which this is done commonly exceeds that which is necessary to achieve the desired outcome (e.g. it's probably just as safe driving at 70km/h on a 60km/h marked boundary road as it is driving at 60km/h). That's going to happen with any big authority - a more defensive stance to minimise harm attributable to the infrastructure provided.
01-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My view on speeding is this - if you stray over the limit, it should be overlooked. Cause an accident as a result and they should throw the book at you.

Speed limits are arbitary and vary wildly throughout the world, often with no basis in scientific fact. Law enforcment should see the flow of uncontrolled traffic and use that as a basis against which to judge what kind of speed is excessive.
02-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #14
Forum Member

Australia is the biggest police state in the world when it comes to speed, so it seems. Worse than Britain. Speedcams in Aus. will get you for 3km/h (just under 2mph) over the limt. At least in Britain, it's the 10 percent plus 2mph rule.

In light of struggles here in America, I thought of packing up and moving down there as an option. Once I learned about how nazi-like they are with speed I changed my mind. I'm a car guy, and I don't drive recklessly - but I do speed 5-10mph over (8-16km/h) UNLESS the speed limit is reasonable. I've heard most are not in Australia.

Any of you Aussies know if it's any better in kiwi land?
02-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

He should be busted down to meter maid and given 80 hours of community service to be performed on his time off.