Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course, they are not always the cheapest, and so I will go to where it is, especially for expensive equipment. The point is, they often are (I was mistaken about B&H, though, you're right they're not an affiliate). They're kinda like the first-stop shop, and if the prices aren't cheaper elsewhere by a margin, then I just stick with Amazon for all the reasons people have mentioned above.

To add about customer service, at least when it comes to books, they can't be beaten. I've had to exchange books twice because of flaws, and both times, I filed for the RMA, and they shipped out the exchange item even BEFORE I shipped out the return item :-)

01-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

camera stuff i have never bought off the site, couple books in the past (off .ca though) but mostly it's the first place i read reviews on a book or item
01-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #18
Inactive Account

The c*nts who run our publishing industry are doing their best to keep Amazon out. Their lobbying to have the duty-free minimum for overseas mail-ordered goods lowered from $1000 to $20.

We can still order books from 'em (ironically,) but not anything else.
01-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

80% of all my book purchases have been through amazon.

i dont know about all the other junk they sell, i know i wouldn't buy shoe inserts or RAM from them.. but there are plenty of people that eat at McDonalds and drive Fords... so really, are you that surprised?

01-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Amazon is usually the cheapest, has lots of free shipping options, doesn't require tax, and has a phenomenal returns policy. Enough said!
01-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Because the prices always seem to be right and they have a great website for browsing. Lastly, if there are any problems, they will refund or discount the item almost without fail. A good example of this is when I bought my K-7 in December. I noticed there were already over 500 actuations on the camera...some may say this is normal, some say it's too high. I wrote them about this and they offered to send me another camera or discount the one I had already, which I chose this option...saved me another $225. Brilliant. FWIW, the camera was sealed, no fingerprints, and by all accounts, brand new.

Jason
01-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Amazon definitely seems to have the best return policy and I've heard of them even lowering the price after purchases to match the current pricing.

It's just that, I always check pricing with them, and they are rarely the lowest for photography stuff, and I was surprised that they keep an available item for a while if 'free shipping is chosen'.

My order placed on the 12th was finally shipped today. I will try to avoid Amazon for this, unless of course the price is indeed much better.

01-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I bought my new K-x from Amazon. It was shipped and arrived in two days, the day before xmas. The price was unbelievable. They came thru for me in this instance.
01-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Amazon definitely seems to have the best return policy and I've heard of them even lowering the price after purchases to match the current pricing.

It's just that, I always check pricing with them, and they are rarely the lowest for photography stuff, and I was surprised that they keep an available item for a while if 'free shipping is chosen'.

My order placed on the 12th was finally shipped today. I will try to avoid Amazon for this, unless of course the price is indeed much better.
I use Amazon all of the time and have never had a problem. I have purchased photo gear from them as well. I always select the free shipping, if available, and the stuff generally arrived in less time that quoted. I have never had an order held up.

I've had to do a return on an item and that went off without a hitch either. They paid for the return shipping and promptly processed the refund. I have no issues with Amazon. I guess YMMV.