Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not impressed with any of the late night talk shows and the least impressive is Conan.

I'm used to the standards of Johnny Carson...the others don't measure up. Leno is the closest, but strays into the questionable material too much the past few years.

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Conan is the best, his show has always seemed less scripted than Leno's
I agree and the best cause he is fresh......tonite....Jeff Bridges awesome!!!!!!
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ratings still put Leno at the top, and when he is back he will still be at the top. Some like this guy, some that, but the ratings pay the bills. Is Leno the best? You tell me...he is at the top!
Regards!
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hold on Rupert.....checking out Fallon..............Goodness.....He kinda looks like Conan when he first took over the Tonight Show....I wonder how he is taking all of this........

01-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I never cared for Leno, so anyone other than him is usually who I turn to. I always preferred Dave at the 11.30 slot, but when I watch now, I usually watch Conan and enjoy his show just the same as his older version when he was in New York. More than those three, I prefer to watch Jimmy Fallon nowadays (thank you, Slingbox!) I think his show is fresh and not as stiff as some of the others...sort of reminds me of Dave back in the mid 80's.

Jason
01-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Who gives a crap about Leno or Conan.?...get back to the basics. Saturday night live was good when it was stacked with Canadians...... "kids in the hall", "this hour has 22 minutes" and "The Mercer Report" are the only things hanging the human race together in a heart felt humanitarian gesture of Canadiana that gravitates wisdom to such a lowly species.....
01-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Leno. I like Letterman better, but I watch Leno once in a while. I can't stand Conan.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.
01-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I work evenings and get home anywhere from 12:30 or later. I just haven't liked the late night at all in recent years. I would catch Conan on occasion but rarely watched it. It was last resort if nothing interesting was on anything else. My normal TV routine when coming home from work will be to check History or Discovery Cannnels first, then Weather Channel, Sportscenter on ESPN, old reruns of the Twilight Zone on SciFi and if I wasn't wound down enough to go to bed yet, I will switch to one of the late night Variety/Talk shows to bore me to sleep. While channel surfing on a particularly boring night last week, I came across Chelsea Lately on one of the cable channels. She has the best one on right now. I actually watched it through to the end.
01-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I work evenings and get home anywhere from 12:30 or later. I just haven't liked the late night at all in recent years. I would catch Conan on occasion but rarely watched it. It was last resort if nothing interesting was on anything else. My normal TV routine when coming home from work will be to check History or Discovery Cannnels first, then Weather Channel, Sportscenter on ESPN, old reruns of the Twilight Zone on SciFi and if I wasn't wound down enough to go to bed yet, I will switch to one of the late night Variety/Talk shows to bore me to sleep. While channel surfing on a particularly boring night last week, I came across Chelsea Lately on one of the cable channels. She has the best one on right now. I actually watched it through to the end.
Thats my TV lineup as well....but I have to get up early so I will usually be asleep when these late night guys are on except for Fridays........
01-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Who gives a crap about Leno or Conan.?...get back to the basics. Saturday night live was good when it was stacked with Canadians...... "kids in the hall", "this hour has 22 minutes" and "The Mercer Report" are the only things hanging the human race together in a heart felt humanitarian gesture of Canadiana that gravitates wisdom to such a lowly species.....
Mercer does the same thing over and over...his rants...what others don't know...hour has 22 minutes...tired...

The old SCTV was good...Dave Thomas, Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara...John Candy...there was talent.
01-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think Letterman will benefit a bit from this mess...but the benefit will be temporary.

Before Leno stepped down from the Tonight Show, he consistently beat Letterman year after year. I don't think this will change after Leno comes back.

Conan lost, I believe 2 million out of the 4.6 million steady watchers after he took over from Leno. What does that say about Conan's talents ?

Talent will always triumph and Leno has the most talent in the funnyman late night show, host sweepstakes.
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jay Leno is mediocre at best, but I didn't care for Johnny either.
Letterman was great in the beginning, but that was 25 years ago.
Conan is the most likeable personality, but that doesn't mean I'd watch.
It's all moot for me; I can't watch - I'm at work from 11:00 PM to 7:30 AM...

Chris
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Mercer does the same thing over and over...his rants...what others don't know...hour has 22 minutes...tired...

The old SCTV was good...Dave Thomas, Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara...John Candy...there was talent.
I think Letterman will benefit a bit from this mess...but the benefit will be temporary.

Before Leno stepped down from the Tonight Show, he consistently beat Letterman year after year. I don't think this will change after Leno comes back.

Conan lost, I believe 2 million out of the 4.6 million steady watchers after he took over from Leno. What does that say about Conan's talents ?

Talent will always triumph and Leno has the most talent in the funnyman late night show, host sweepstakes.

Oh my goodness, how can you be so right about Second City and so wrong about Jay Leno... Second City was funny... sometimes hilarious. Jay Leno is boring! Has been for a long time!

I think your funny bone may be broken! Or you may be suffering from osteoporosis
01-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, I've never been one to say 'sales' or 'popularity' directly relates to talent.

One of the primary appeals of a late-night talk show or something like that is that people become *familiar* with the host, it's kind of like sitting around the campfire at the end of a day, having a laugh and whatever. If you sort of change the routine, things are bound to get kind of split up.

I don't actually think Jay is the funniest comedian ever, but he's pretty darn good at a) celebrity interviews and b) Sort of making people feel connected. He sort of just presents what's going on that people might find funny, and it works.

Conan's got a lot more of the clown in him. (Actually I do think he's a lot funnier.) Later at night he has sort of a freer hand.

Jimmy Fallon's been sort of running a late late late show, probably better off still on after Conan: basically, I think they ought to put things back the way they were: give up the ten o'clock idea and shove everything back a time slot.
01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

So Conan is done after this Friday?