01-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Errors re: glacier meltdown predictions

Interesting article.

World misled over Himalayan glacier meltdown - Times Online

01-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What, global warming nuts lie and exaggerate? Never!
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, dont ya just love these idiots.

Unfortuneatley these people have lost themselves in their own delusions of grandeur...and in their shameless pursuit of easy grant moneys for "research" they have allowed due dilligence, credibility and common sense to become victims of their greed.
01-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If anyone believed the Inconvenient truth statements of the arrogant Al Gore, they deserved to be misled. He had big bucks bet on them believing him.

01-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Trying to further spin the spin at the end of this article into 'Aha, Climate hoax!' is kind of interesting, considering that the article itself says it's climate scientists that spotted and pointed out the claim was unsubstantiated:

Also it says this about the original science:

""Since then I have obtained a copy and it does not say what Hasnain said. In other words it does not mention 2035 as a date by which any Himalayan glaciers will melt. However, he did make clear that his comments related only to part of the Himalayan glaciers. not the whole massif.""

Someone having been about to publish a date that came from someone getting something wrong from some interview doesn't mean that glaciers aren't melting: in fact, glaciers *are* receding severely in the Himalayas, presenting a pretty imminent threat to the water supply a lot of areas depend on.
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think that the results of the Copenhagen Conference have demonstrated that there is a credibility factor among the public ...when it comes to climate change causes, especially as promoted, by some who label themselves as environmentalists. Please note I said 'some', not all.

I don't think that many question that there is a good case for climate change occurring , but then climate change, is a naturally occurring phenomena in this world of ours.

There have been just too many 'errors' with computer models, scientists disagreeing with other scientists, arrogance from some scientists and particularly self appointed experts, who refuse to discuss the issue any further because in their minds...what they believe is a final 'fact' and therefore is immune from challenge.

I have difficulty with rigid attitudes . Having slogged long and hard through two universities (successfully), many years ago, I was taught to be cynical, to research , to determine the credibility of evidence....never to accept so called established views of thinking, unless it was credible and that theories were backed up.

I have difficulty with those who do strongly maintain that 'facts' have been determined and that is that. Kind of reminds me of how 'facts' were decided centuries ago.
01-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think that the results of the Copenhagen Conference have demonstrated that there is a credibility factor among the public ...when it comes to climate change causes, especially as promoted, by some who label themselves as environmentalists. Please note I said 'some', not all.

I don't think that many question that there is a good case for climate change occurring , but then climate change, is a naturally occurring phenomena in this world of ours.

There have been just too many 'errors' with computer models, scientists disagreeing with other scientists, arrogance from some scientists and particularly self appointed experts, who refuse to discuss the issue any further because in their minds...what they believe is a final 'fact' and therefore is immune from challenge.

I have difficulty with rigid attitudes . Having slogged long and hard through two universities (successfully), many years ago, I was taught to be cynical, to research , to determine the credibility of evidence....never to accept so called established views of thinking, unless it was credible and that theories were backed up.

I have difficulty with those who do strongly maintain that 'facts' have been determined and that is that. Kind of reminds me of how 'facts' were decided centuries ago.
Nicely stated, IMO a reasoned view.

01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Nicely stated, IMO a reasoned view.
I agree with you.
01-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.
A magazine interview via phone or otherwise does not qualify as peer review article.