Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Jury Duty- would you do your duty ?

Jury duty exists in much of the so called civilized world. It makes sense, at least I think it does.

But I do hear of a lot of potential jurists trying to evade...when called to perform this most essential duty.

Would you try to evade jury duty or do you think that it is not only the right of those that live in a democracy, but the responsibility of an individual living in a democracy to do their duty when called ?

01-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think it is a civic duty. On the other hand, it varies enough I can see why some people try to get out of it.

Around here the population is pretty dense. Jury duty is 1 day or 1 trial no more often than once every three years.

A former business associate lived across the county where they population density was quite low. There is was 3 weeks, as many trials as they could fit in. That's pretty rough.
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy serving, and never try to get out. Grand Jury is the most interesting.
My service is a hardship only to my employer. That's the icing on the cake!

Chris
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in Raz-O's neck of the woods and have the same deal. Every few years I give my day and am done with it. Once I was pretty much picked to serve for a case, but I explained to the judge that I had a small child at home that I could provide coverage for to serve my day, but not the expected 2 weeks for the trial. He was a little pissed, but let me off. If not for that situation, I would have done it. I was scheduled again this year, but was informed the night before I didn't need to show up. Work picks up the tab, so money loss isn't an issue, and they will excuse you if your place of employment provides a written document that they don't pay for jury duty.

01-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sure....always have. Not always an easy task, but someone has to do it.
Regards!
01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did mine in'08...and it was one of THE WORST EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE! It was after the hurricane and after I joined Pentax Forums....I would have talked about it in the GT section after we reached our verdict......did not visit that forum back then..........
Check it:

Shepherd convicted in grisly killing of ex-girlfriend | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited by res3567; 01-16-2010 at 05:53 PM.
01-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Damn Brit

I'm not a citizen yet but every six months or so I get a jury duty notice, I guess California must be short on eligible people.
Once I am a citizen, I will perform my duty if required.
In England you're unlucky if you get called more than a couple of times in a lifetime.

01-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm not a citizen yet but every six months or so I get a jury duty notice, I guess California must be short on eligible people.
Once I am a citizen, I will perform my duty if required.
In England you're unlucky if you get called more than a couple of times in a lifetime.
Gary.....once I moved to Cali back in'02 and changed my driver's license I was called up a week later....in Stockton.....sat there all day for nothing cause the lawyers were having difficulty.......was told I might be called back in 6 months.....
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

have been called three times never been seated on a jury but dont mind serving the only down side if that I have to travel almost 30 miles to the courthouse to serve they dont let you serve in the court in your city since you have a higher chance of knowing a defendant.
01-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Been called twice and was dismissed both times because I was a government civil servant (40 years worth, now retired). Not sure why, but that was the reason given.
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have been called on only once, for a case involving an auto accident and an ambulance-chaser. I was in the alternates pool until they asked if there was any reason I thought I couldn't be impartial, and I gave them my true opinion about lawyers who represent clients trying to squeeze more money out of anything medical-related. And that my wife, the physician, had been sued for a case where she wasn't even responsible for the treatment a patient and her lawyers settled even so.

I was *very* quickly dismissed from the jury pool...

Jim
01-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #12

I was chosen "by computer" for the 4th quarter of 2009. The Court must have been trying to cram a lot of jury trials into that 3 month period, because I was summonsed four times. I never asked to be excused, but I was all four times because of my employment with the local government. I'm often involved in helping the police and prosecuting attorneys with various issues, I guess it could be assumed by others I would have a bias although I'm not sure I would have any.

I'm glad I was not selected, because the terms of my employment, as a contract employee, do not make any provisions for jury duty, and I'm the only one in the organization that performs the duties I perform (no one to cover for me).
01-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Never been called, never will be... in Canada front line emergency and "essential services" workers like police, EMS, fire are not elligible for jury duty as they cannot be taken away from their jobs.

On the other hand, if I were called I would serve.

Pat
01-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have only been called once, and I served.

I think as a citizen, and a member of society it is my duty and obligation to serve.

I live in a country were a fair trial is right. There are countries where this is not the case.

Just like my right to vote, I exercise it. In the case of jury duty, I'll serve.

People in this world are dying to be able to vote, and they are dying to get a fair judicial system.

I'm lucky that I live in a country where I have both.
01-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Never been called, never will be... in Canada front line emergency and "essential services" workers like police, EMS, fire are not elligible for jury duty as they cannot be taken away from their jobs.

On the other hand, if I were called I would serve.

Pat
Funny thing here is that paid firemen aren't exempt, but volunteers are.