Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canadian buyers from US sellers and taxes

I was wondering if this should fit the "Everyting Else" thread, but I am taking a chance anyway.
It relates to the MarketPlace, selling and buying.

A while back, I purchased an item from a US seller on the MarketPlace. Everyting went very well, and I received the lens as per described, etc .... and there was no tax to be paid. As expected.
I actually acquired two items the same way .... no taxes.

Now, this last time, I bought a flash unit from another US seller and when it arrived at my door here, yesterday, there was a nice notice on the parcel, from our friendly Cdn Gvt: Taxes: $55.36 !!

How in the world was this possible, especially on a used item.

Did the seller forgot something?
I would like to find out before I make another purchase for a used item coming from the US.

If anyone has any idea why this happened, please let me know.

Thanks!!

JP

01-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Taxes are typically due on all imported items, however, due to the volume of items crossing the border CBSA cannot process each and every package to collect taxes. Therefore, it's really a hit and miss proposition, sometimes they will tax your item and sometimes they won't. Typically if the item generates more than $5-$10 of taxes they are supposed to collect, but I think the threshold of most of the individual officers inspecting the packages is much higher.

Shipping from US to Canada is a crap shoot for timing and tax. The one good thing is that under NAFTA there are no duties on photographic equipment.
01-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are responsible for duty and taxes on any item imported into Canada, regardless if it is new or used. The rate depends on the item, country of origin and the declared value of the item.

Usually if the item value is under $100CND customs will let it go. To pay $55.36 in duty and taxes your item must have been declared at a value of around $300.00. Also if you have the item insured for a value, the declared value must be equal or more.

It’s basically a crap shoot if it comes via regular mail, if you get something sent via courier you will always get dung and have to pay higher broker fees charged buy the courier companies.

Phil.
01-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Taxes are typically due on all imported items, however, due to the volume of items crossing the border CBSA cannot process each and every package to collect taxes. Therefore, it's really a hit and miss proposition, sometimes they will tax your item and sometimes they won't. Typically if the item generates more than $5-$10 of taxes they are supposed to collect, but I think the threshold of most of the individual officers inspecting the packages is much higher.

Shipping from US to Canada is a crap shoot for timing and tax. The one good thing is that under NAFTA there are no duties on photographic equipment.
Crap Shoot and NAFTA: that's a new title which will win the Lemon Award of the New Artist For Taking Abuse... "NAFTA"

JP

01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You are responsible for duty and taxes on any item imported into Canada, regardless if it is new or used. The rate depends on the item, country of origin and the declared value of the item.

Usually if the item value is under $100CND customs will let it go. To pay $55.36 in duty and taxes your item must have been declared at a value of around $300.00. Also if you have the item insured for a value, the declared value must be equal or more.

It’s basically a crap shoot if it comes via regular mail, if you get something sent via courier you will always get dung and have to pay higher broker fees charged buy the courier companies.

Phil.
NAFTA is an oxymoron, an acronym invented by bureaucrats so that the common mortal will think they are doing us a favor.
Anyway, thanks to you guys for the reply.
I'll just have to watch next time I buy used equipment.

JP
01-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
NAFTA is an oxymoron, an acronym invented by bureaucrats so that the common mortal will think they are doing us a favor.
Anyway, thanks to you guys for the reply.
I'll just have to watch next time I buy used equipment.

JP
Actually, NAFTA helps on photographic equipment because they only are supposed to tax photographic gear manufactured in the NA. Since there aren't none, it is supposed to be exempt. It sounds like you got the SHAFTA.
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, NAFTA helps on photographic equipment because they only are supposed to tax photographic gear manufactured in the NA. Since there aren't none, it is supposed to be exempt. It sounds like you got the SHAFTA.
Yeah !! I think I did!
That's wahy I said that this NAFTA thing is crap shoot, because we never know what to expect. It' supposed to be the other way around: you should expect what you already know.

JP
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Taxes are vaived on items worth less than 60$. Import duties are waived for used items, or optical items manufactured in the US (there are other items apart from optics, but that's our current case).

Fedex, UPS, etc will charge you "brokerage fees" to cross the border. Plus they will charge taxes if any apply. USPS will bring a tax bill if the item is expensive, most of the time, though not always.

Gifts are usually considered implicitly exemps, though there is no actual law or rule about this. Writing "gift" on a package is a good idea, sometimes, though it's not really "correct" to do so.

01-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Taxes are vaived on items worth less than 60$. Import duties are waived for used items, or optical items manufactured in the US (there are other items apart from optics, but that's our current case).

Fedex, UPS, etc will charge you "brokerage fees" to cross the border. Plus they will charge taxes if any apply. USPS will bring a tax bill if the item is expensive, most of the time, though not always.

Gifts are usually considered implicitly exemps, though there is no actual law or rule about this. Writing "gift" on a package is a good idea, sometimes, though it's not really "correct" to do so.
There is an exception on optics because there are no photographic optics made in the U.S. It is the same way for the same items coming into the U.S. FedEx is full of crap if they say otherwise and I'd be asking the local PostMaster what the hell was going on if I got such a tax bill on something from Canada.
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It is indeed a crapshoot; if possible try to ask to sender to lower the value. Also, avoid using UPS or Fedex, you are almost guaranteed to get taxed plus hefty brokerage fee. With USPS/Canada Post, the worst is $5 brokerage plus the pst/gst. Also, USPS FirstClass is better than priority mail.
01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It is indeed a crapshoot; if possible try to ask to sender to lower the value. Also, avoid using UPS or Fedex, you are almost guaranteed to get taxed plus hefty brokerage fee. With USPS/Canada Post, the worst is $5 brokerage plus the pst/gst. Also, USPS FirstClass is better than priority mail.
There are different situations as well when the taxes are levied in Canada. I won't get into the whole schmoozle of the tax laws here but we have to support our country and , yes, pay them taxes!
Someone provided me with a couple of links relating to that issue and, frankly, taxes are among the two sure things we expect here, the other one being a wordly departure.

JP
01-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Moving to General Talk.

There is also a related thread going on - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/83892-canada-post-customs.html
01-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Moving to General Talk.

There is also a related thread going on - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/83892-canada-post-customs.html
Thanks for the link.

JP
01-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ok ...this is the reverse of this thread....can ya'll help me with this.......how long will it take and all that good stuff?

Your package will be shipped by PayPal Shipping with Canada Post.

RC Rive Sud used PayPal Shipping with Canada Post to create a shipping label for your package. Once the package is given to the local post office, it will be on its way to you.

Your shipment number is 7210029018455224. Please keep this number for your records.
For more information, go to the Canada Post® website.
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

well... what kind of service is he using? express air, land, parcel, etc etc?

it can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 days.