Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
The correct analogy is the following: The US is Zimbabwe, but with a currency backed by nuclear weapons.
I thought the similarity with Zimbabwe was that President Obama and President Mugabe each have a similar grasp of economics.

01-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I thought the similarity with Zimbabwe was that President Obama and President Mugabe each have a similar grasp of economics.
Marc Faber has said that Bernanke follows the Mugabe school of economics.
01-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olbermann dramatic tones, but, really, this is what this can mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOwRy9_xsM&feature=player_embedded

Forget about campaign finance reform, now, someone just put every office in the country directly up for sale to the biggest corporations.

Hope no one here's in any kind of business that might, oh, I dunno, compete with any big company in any way, either.
01-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Good link RML

A little run down on it:

Campaign finance reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Inactive Account

'Forget about campaign finance reform, now, someone just put every office in the country directly up for sale to the biggest corporations.'

Not necessarily. McC/F was going to be challenged immediatly after adopted. I would guess there would be a way to cut off big corp/union/foriegn political funding by re adjusting what a politico and party can take and from whom. We need reform for sure.

The two blatent examples of abuse that come to my mind are the Obama Care union tax scam and Chris Dodd accepting favorable loans from the failed/bought out CountryWide Mortgage Co. There is lots more from both sides of the aisle. There is also hard money, soft money and favors like jet rides, loans and so on. This might be a great time to fashion better rules. McCain is still breathing maybe he can put a better one together with Pelosi, ah no. Barney Frank, ah no, Chuck Schumer, probably not. You pick one.

It's too bad Oberman didn't express rage over the Obama Care union scam or Big Pharma and vote buy outs, but hey, that wouldn't play well with that side.

We can only hope something better will come out of this.

Hope and Change remember? Just an opinion.
01-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Reflecting on this "Bought Decision"......I wonder if it really matters? We don't really have representatives that listen to us now, they are paid for by lobbyists, so what will change? America is a wasteland for democracy, we gave up representation of the people a long time ago. Maybe Giant Corporations will send the remainig Mc Donalds and Burger King jobs to China too? We can all try to get by on what is left, at whatever wage they want to pay us...after they abolish Minimum Wage. If I was younger I would be looking for a new country......this one is almost toast. It is not possible to have equal representation when one side, the Giant Corporations, have all the money and all the power......If anyone still believes America is not "all about the money", I think they will soon be changing their mind. So when do we see the new China Corporation formed? They won't even have to meet in the dark with Al Gore......just get right out in the open and provide the candidates of their choice boatloads of cash. Network won't air their Ad...just buy the Network!Newspaper......Cable....all the Magazines.....After all they have all the money we have sent them, and if they were to call in what we owe them, or just threaten it, a truckload of dollars would not get you a small Starbucks.
Regards!
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
""While American democracy is imperfect, few outside the majority of this Court would have thought its flaws included a dearth of corporate money in politics." - Justice Stevens"

I'm not sure what scares me more; that most people believe that the form of government in the USA is a democracy or that a sitting justice of the US Supreme Court thinks that the USA is a democracy.

01-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not worrying much any more....I have confidence it will be better under the Chinese. We'll all make more moeny too. I hear the Chinese tell teir kids to eat all on their plate...there are starving children in America....and they are right!
Regards!
01-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JnM_in_VT Quote
""While American democracy is imperfect, few outside the majority of this Court would have thought its flaws included a dearth of corporate money in politics." - Justice Stevens"

I'm not sure what scares me more; that most people believe that the form of government in the USA is a democracy or that a sitting justice of the US Supreme Court thinks that the USA is a democracy.
Justice Scalia, in his concurring opinion based on reason and the Constitution, had quite a bit to say about the dissenting opinion of Justice Stevens, pointing out that Stevens based it largely on personal bias, dubious citations and whatever else he could pull out of his ass.

McCain-Feingold was a crap piece of legislation that was pointed out to be unconstitutional back when it was passed and the decision should hardly come as a surprise.
01-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Justice Scalia, in his concurring opinion based on reason and the Constitution, had quite a bit to say about the dissenting opinion of Justice Stevens, pointing out that Stevens based it largely on personal bias, dubious citations and whatever else he could pull out of his ass.

McCain-Feingold was a crap piece of legislation that was pointed out to be unconstitutional back when it was passed and the decision should hardly come as a surprise.
Well, this ruling certainly does take the pressure off of any remaining voters that still have some common sense. No more wasting time standing in line at polling places.....with Big Business running America, there is no longer a need to waste our time voting. Of course, there is always the chance that they will enact legislation requiring us to vote......for the candidate of their choice. So how long until we have elections like the one in Iraq where out of millions of votes, only one was cast against Sadam? Your l kind of ruling here? You think we need less representation of the people and more by Big Business? That is not what I call your "Big Brain" thinking.....but I could tell that by your reply. You go right ahead and get in that Haliburton line and vote away!
Regards!