Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Uh-Oh

My wife seen this today,she says I'm being sexist

01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I know it's a distraction, but there are some that are capable, though many are not. Second, comparing this to murder and robbery is far from the same.
OK, let's say some can do it. Should we giuve them a test and let them? put a special mark on their car that says they have a pass. No. We hold them to the same standard as those who cannot. lowest common denominator. Fair? you betcha.

Willfull disregard for the lives and safety of others, if it results in the death of another is homicide. period. End of story. No argument possible. My brother was killed by a cell phone driver. Came across the line and killed him. The girl in the car with my brother had a miscarriage. The charges included two manslaughter charges. reckless endangerment, etc., etc. The guy got a nice stretch for this. They were able to prove he was on the phone. That did not go well in sentencing.

So get this loud and clear ... all of you who think you can handle talking on the phone and driving. If you EVER hit me - this goes for ANYONE - I am going to make sure that I record the exact SECOND that you hit me. It WILL make it into the police report.

If anyone gets really hurt, I am then going to instruct my attorney to subpoena your phone records. And if they show you were on the phone, I am going to OWN your life. If there is any QUESTION, I will subpeona the people on the other end of the line when it happened.

I am quite sure that the person on the other end of the line will testify that they heard the whole thing once they are sworn in. Most people are not up for going to jail because you want them to lie over something YOU did wrong.

Stop fooling yourself that you are one of the ones who can. Put the phone down, put your hands on the wheel and grow UP. There are people's lives at stake here. Those lives are mine, my wife's, and my kids. When you have a family you might well come to understand. Until then, straighten up and fly right. Serious.

woof
01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
graphicgr8s

I like the women who are smoking, talking, putting on makeup, driving a stick. All at the same time. Priceless.
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. That guy should have had it handed to him. My beef with the laws isn't that they aren't fair to those capable. My beef is that we have these laws...........and nothing's changed. A distracted driver is the same no matter what the source of the distraction is. That's what needs to be addressed. They all need to be hammered. Choosing only one of the many distractions is a feel good reaction and little more.

01-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

28% of all crashes in 2008 were attributed to cell phones and texting.
6,000 deaths. 1/2 million injuries
01-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
There's a new law in Ontario that not only bans the use of cell phones but goes a lot further to include other devices that distract drivers.

Includes GPS units, iPods, texting devices, video screens - you name it! It excludes certain drivers like Police officers, though.
The irony is that I have seen on 6 different occasions over the past year where police officers were all over the road while screwing around with the lab top mounted to their dash . . . all over 2 lanes, up on the median etc.
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter

The trouble is that there are more than cell phone that cause people to be inattentive when driving. Diggin on the radio, reading a map, putting on make-up, reading to name a few. In SoCal, I even saw some cat shaving on the way to work.

There are more cell phone related accidents than there were 20 years ago because more people have cell phones. Then there are these clowns with video screens all over the vehicle . . .

01-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The trouble is that there are more than cell phone that cause people to be inattentive when driving. Diggin on the radio, reading a map, putting on make-up, reading to name a few. In SoCal, I even saw some cat shaving on the way to work.

There are more cell phone related accidents than there were 20 years ago because more people have cell phones. Then there are these clowns with video screens all over the vehicle . . .
At least once a week I see this guy shaving at the light.
01-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To Woof, you and your family have my heart-felt condolenses,to you I offer a sincere apology
for rekinding the most substantial pain a brother can endure. And also thanks,
it needed to be said.
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
No more laws are needed, and the ones we have now need to go. First, there are some that are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. Yes I know driving is a serious thing, but let's face it, it is possible to talk and drive. No sense in infringing on those who can because of the second reason, which is the laws just don't work. All they do is make people feel good after some idiot kills someone because people can say he was doing something illegal. It didn't prevent the death in the first place.
So I bet you are all for pilots drinking and flying too? They are just like you....they think they can handle it, but they can't do any better at drinking and flying than you can at cell talking and driving. Your astounding ability is in your mind...and that's where the problem is.
Regards!
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Some people have problems "multi-tasking". The "hands-free" law has been passed here in Ontario, yet i see daily more than i can count off my hands people using their phones while driving and that's just the cellphone.
I'll have to look for it, but there is research that shows that hands-free is no safer than hands-full. The conversation is the distraction no matter what you are talking in to.

With due respect to woof, I somewhat tire of the discussion about cell phones. It's all hot air with no action. The case of the person getting time is the exception and far from the rule. NC recently passed a texting ban but how do they plan to enforce it? My cell phone has a few features besides just the phone, how will they prove I was texting when the officer saw me instead of using one of the other (legal) features of the phone? Either way, they won't catch me since I don't have texting on my plan. If they can only get < 30% of people in my county convicted of DUI and far fewer of other traffic offenses (i.e. getting 15-20+ over reduced to non-moving violations, even in school zones), I hold little hope of the courts having any backbone at all when it comes to cell phone usage. All laws are just guidelines without enforcement.

I would like to see speed and red light cameras used more widely in the states. It would free up more officers to enforce cell phone bans and other traffic laws. Though tickets just kill trees if the courts don't stand behind them to get the conviction.

Just this evening I was nearly hit head on by someone passing on a 2-lane road at night, in the rain, in a turn, in a no passing zone. The road is probably the most dangerous place we visit. If the same number of people died from air crashes as car crashes in a year then a fully loaded 747 would go down with all lives lost every 4 days. Y'all be careful out there.
01-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Are you that freaking dense? At what point did I ever say it was a good idea?
01-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Horseonthefly Quote
I'll have to look for it, but there is research that shows that hands-free is no safer than hands-full. The conversation is the distraction no matter what you are talking in to.
Perhaps it's time to outlaw multi-seat vehicles and mandate that they only have accommodations for one, the driver. If it's the conversation that's the problem, let's take it all the way. Personally, I don't see a difference between using a hands free phone and talking to a passenger(s) in the car.

My parents didn't seem to have a problem driving with 4 kids climbing all through the car (the days before seat belts) fighting and screaming.
01-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Perhaps it's time to outlaw multi-seat vehicles and mandate that they only have accommodations for one, the driver. If it's the conversation that's the problem, let's take it all the way. Personally, I don't see a difference between using a hands free phone and talking to a passenger(s) in the car.
The fact remains that there *is* a clear difference. Having someone else in the car still means your attention is ..where you are.

It's well known that the only passengers that worsen driving performance are driver's test examiners.

QuoteQuote:
My parents didn't seem to have a problem driving with 4 kids climbing all through the car (the days before seat belts) fighting and screaming.
The key word there probably would be 'seem.' Considering your point of view at the time...
01-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Late poster in this thread but I had 3 months nursing a broken wrist thanks to what I'd have to say otherwise inexplicable behaviour when I had to go into damage control avoiding a young lady who was either SMSing or her Ipod or gas bagging on her Iphone and somehow failed to realise she had a red light. Could have been a lot worse, at least that's what that little sphincter muscle was telling me at the time.
Add the intrusion into everyone other then the person on the phone and all I have to say is I don't like them, especially when my boss is ringing me.