Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the province of Quebec, using your cellphone while driving is illegal since 2009...

And I can tell you from first hand experience that MANY accidents are directly related to cell phone use. When we get to the scene of a good smash, after we packaged the victims I'll often find the drivers cellphone at the bottom of the car, still open. Checking the call log will almost always confirm he or she was yapping away at the moment of impact.

As for cell phone distractions being as bad as driving drunk, Mythbusters did an episode on that many years ago where they compared reaction times while driving intoxicated (in a controlled environment), and reaction times of someone yapping away on their phone... the result:

MythBusters (2005 season) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Adam and Kari failed a general-purpose road safety test both while talking on a cell phone and while driving after drinking alcoholic beverages (though with a blood-alcohol content just below 0.08% and not legally drunk). Cell phone driving failed by a wider margin. Adam commented that one can put away a cell phone if necessary, but not simply become sober as needed.

Make my job easier folks... put your damm phone away and concentrate on the road!

Pat

01-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I love the yanks and their ultra conservatibe "rules are made by communists" mantra. "No one should make us wear seat belts, it's a free country .. ' etc et cetc.

Look at your road toll, it's atrocious for a developed country. Not wearign a seat belt is one thing but not buckiling up your kids is criminal and talking on a phone now puts me and my family in danger.

******s.
01-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I love the yanks and their ultra conservatibe "rules are made by communists" mantra. "No one should make us wear seat belts, it's a free country .. ' etc et cetc.

Look at your road toll, it's atrocious for a developed country. Not wearign a seat belt is one thing but not buckiling up your kids is criminal and talking on a phone now puts me and my family in danger.

******s.

The problem is that there is a total lack of common sense here, and combine it with an even greater lack of concern for anyone else, and we have to have all kinds of laws that attempt to protect us from the idiots that roam our streets. A whole lot of those seem to be right wing fruitloops that see any law as an attempt to stifle their "freedom" and "right to be stupid".
Regards
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #34
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The problem is that there is a total lack of common sense here, and combine it with an even greater lack of concern for anyone else, and we have to have all kinds of laws that attempt to protect us from the idiots that roam our streets. A whole lot of those seem to be right wing fruitloops that see any law as an attempt to stifle their "freedom" and "right to be stupid".
Regards
Sorry Rupert. All we want is the laws that are already in place to be enforced. And this Conservative would support a law that mandates at least hands free.

I sure do wish they'd allow the authorities to enforce the laws that protect our borders. But the Big O will have nothing to do with that.

01-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

And I can tell you from first hand experience that MANY accidents are directly related to cell phone use. When we get to the scene of a good smash, after we packaged the victims I'll often find the drivers cellphone at the bottom of the car, still open. Checking the call log will almost always confirm he or she was yapping away at the moment of impact.

As for cell phone distractions being as bad as driving drunk, Mythbusters did an episode on that many years ago where they compared reaction times while driving intoxicated (in a controlled environment), and reaction times of someone yapping away on their phone... the result:

MythBusters (2005 season) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Adam and Kari failed a general-purpose road safety test both while talking on a cell phone and while driving after drinking alcoholic beverages (though with a blood-alcohol content just below 0.08% and not legally drunk). Cell phone driving failed by a wider margin. Adam commented that one can put away a cell phone if necessary, but not simply become sober as needed.

Make my job easier folks... put your damm phone away and concentrate on the road!

Pat
That would make a perfect Public Safety Ad for TV! I like it!
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #36
Inactive Account

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/legislation/docs/distracted-driver-cell-phone-discussion-paper.pdf

You may read it all if you like, or just the following:

"Legislation that bans only hand-held cell conversations conflicts with the research that has consistently found no difference in the degree of distraction between hand-held and hands-free cell conversations. As a result, these laws may not provide the expected benefits and may even generate harmful indirect impacts such as a false sense of security for those who talk on hands-free devices while driving."

That was out of BC.
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #37
Damn Brit

Let's face it, there are far too many people who have difficulty driving and breathing at the same time.

01-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Sorry Rupert. All we want is the laws that are already in place to be enforced. And this Conservative would support a law that mandates at least hands free.

I sure do wish they'd allow the authorities to enforce the laws that protect our borders. But the Big O will have nothing to do with that.
I'm all for that George! Your boy Jesus George tried to do away with the Southern border to appease his bosom buddy Vicente Fox....remember that? So come back when you guys get yourself a real border enforcer, you haven't done as well as Obama so far.

And...if all the laws we have already were properly enforced, Jesus George and most of his administration would be swinging by the neck from big Oak trees. I'm all for that....you too?
Regards!
01-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm all for that George! Your boy Jesus George tried to do away with the Southern border to appease his bosom buddy Vicente Fox....remember that? So come back when you guys get yourself a real border enforcer, you haven't done as well as Obama so far.

And...if all the laws we have already were properly enforced, Jesus George and most of his administration would be swinging by the neck from big Oak trees. I'm all for that....you too?
Regards!
Actually the order came down from Stretch and the rest of the liberal congress and senate.