Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Driving & Cell Phones

On the way in to work tonight,a young gal crossed 2 lanes of traffic,center line,
completely aborbsorbed by her phone, avoiding accident by about the width of a knats butt. Normally,on my lunch hour I like to log onto this site and peek at what our friends from around the world has to say,not tonight. Had a close call? An accident?
Do we need more laws governing something that should be in the realm of common sense?

My boss has this on his desk,thought it appropiate.

"It is my heart-warmed and world-embracing Christmas hope and aspiration that all of us, the high, the low, the rich, the poor, the admired, the despised, the loved, the hated, the civilized, the savage (every man and brother of us all throughout the whole earth), may eventually be gathered together in a heaven of everlasting rest and peace and bliss, except the inventor of the telephone. "

Mark Twain ; Christmas greetings, 1890

01-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
"It is my heart-warmed and world-embracing Christmas hope and aspiration that all of us, the high, the low, the rich, the poor, the admired, the despised, the loved, the hated, the civilized, the savage (every man and brother of us all throughout the whole earth), may eventually be gathered together in a heaven of everlasting rest and peace and bliss, except the inventor of the telephone. "

Mark Twain ; Christmas greetings, 1890
There's a fight I'd pay to watch: Twain vs Bell! Epic wit, versus epic beard!

It still surprises me how narcissistic my generation is. It's what you get when you've been raised entirely by advertising, I suppose.
01-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No more laws are needed, and the ones we have now need to go. First, there are some that are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. Yes I know driving is a serious thing, but let's face it, it is possible to talk and drive. No sense in infringing on those who can because of the second reason, which is the laws just don't work. All they do is make people feel good after some idiot kills someone because people can say he was doing something illegal. It didn't prevent the death in the first place.
01-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sounds like Jodokast ought to take one of those educational driving tests with and without cell phone. Part of the problem is people *think* they can do both at once very well, when the fact is, they really just can't. It literally takes their attention out of the car, is what I think of it.

01-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Sounds like Jodokast ought to take one of those educational driving tests with and without cell phone. Part of the problem is people *think* they can do both at once very well, when the fact is, they really just can't. It literally takes their attention out of the car, is what I think of it.
That is the problem exactly, people think they are not distracted when in reality they are. One of the biggest causes of auto accidents is driver inattention for one reason or another. Here in NY, they have had a law for several years about cellphones. Hands free operation only. The law is mostly ignored and rarely enforced.

I hate cellphones. I have one out of necessity but it remains off most of the time unless I want to call somebody. I mentioned to one of my bosses that they ought to ban employees from using cellphones at work. It fell on deaf ears. As my boss was whining about the maintainence cost going way over budget, I mentioned the moron who dropped and destroyed the $5100 turbo he was trying to mount with one hand while talking on the phone or the idiot who drove his fork truck out the open loading dock door. That doesn't seem to matter but I get bitched at for running equipment in the shop because somebody missed an "important" phone call. I can't wait until the next sunspot cycle peaks and fries all the damn things.
01-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
No more laws are needed, and the ones we have now need to go. First, there are some that are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. Yes I know driving is a serious thing, but let's face it, it is possible to talk and drive. No sense in infringing on those who can because of the second reason, which is the laws just don't work. All they do is make people feel good after some idiot kills someone because people can say he was doing something illegal. It didn't prevent the death in the first place.
Yeah, just like there are people who can drive drunk without hurting anybody, so lets get rid of any DWI/DUI laws too.
In fact, there isn't a law on the books that people don't break on a regular basis so let's get rid of
all of them.

Murder is illegal - That law doesn't prevent deaths, people still kill
Robbery is illegal - people still commit robbery

Last edited by Parallax; 01-23-2010 at 08:48 AM.
01-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't like more laws...but I've had people crash into my vehicles because of Cell phones, I've read the stats...the accident rate is the same or worse as it is for drunks.

Some people are on cell phones they concentrate...unfortunately wholly on the conversation and the world around them seems to cease to exist.

Therefore we need laws to protect ourselves from those.
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's a $200 fine for talking on your phone (phone-to-ear) while driving w/in city limits here in Santa Fe.

01-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

There's a new law in Ontario that not only bans the use of cell phones but goes a lot further to include other devices that distract drivers.

QuoteQuote:
NEW - Ontario’s Bill 118, The Countering Distracted Driving and Promoting Green Transportation Act, 2009

Ontario’s new law prohibiting the use of hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices while driving will come into effect on October 26, 2009. Once the new law is in place, drivers who text, type, email, dial or chat using any hand-held device will face fines of up to $500 upon conviction. Hands-free use will still be permitted.
Includes GPS units, iPods, texting devices, video screens - you name it! It excludes certain drivers like Police officers, though.
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
... It excludes certain drivers like Police officers, though.
Ah, the good old measuring with 2 measures.
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is conclusive proof that "multitasking" while driving leads to accidents.
New Yorks no cell phones while driving law is seldom enforced but should be.

Chris
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Some people have problems "multi-tasking". The "hands-free" law has been passed here in Ontario, yet i see daily more than i can count off my hands people using their phones while driving and that's just the cellphone.
01-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

First, I don't advocate talking and driving. I know it's a distraction, but there are some that are capable, though many are not. Second, comparing this to murder and robbery is far from the same. Laws agains them do deter people, though not all. But nobody gives a rats ass about cell phone laws. It's far too easy to hide that you're using it for starters. Pretty damn hard to tell if it's not daylight or if someone puts it on speaker and holds it down low. And that's if the cops are strict in enforcing, or aren't too busy talking on their own cell phones. The laws sound good on paper, but have little to no actual benefit.
01-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
the problem is people *think* they can do both at once very well, when the fact is, they really just can't. It literally takes their attention out of the car, is what I think of it.
Just noted the date on the calander. Doesn't happen very often but I agree wit RML 100%
I need the lousey phone because I opperate a mobile service business . If the conversation takes any real thought , I pull off the road or call back.The ones that really get me upset are the kids, usually girls texting or checking email while driving. This is now illegal in NC but they still do it. How about applying make up while cruising at 60MPH , thats rather stupid too.
We have a local cop who spends a large part of her day harassing people who throw cigarette butts out the window, she is an affirmative action employee so won't be going anywhere soon unless she really screws up bad . I sure would rather see her make driving while texting her pet project .
01-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Just noted the date on the calander. Doesn't happen very often but I agree wit RML 100%
I need the lousey phone because I opperate a mobile service business . If the conversation takes any real thought , I pull off the road or call back.The ones that really get me upset are the kids, usually girls texting or checking email while driving. This is now illegal in NC but they still do it. How about applying make up while cruising at 60MPH , thats rather stupid too.
We have a local cop who spends a large part of her day harassing people who throw cigarette butts out the window, she is an affirmative action employee so won't be going anywhere soon unless she really screws up bad . I sure would rather see her make driving while texting her pet project .
Dagnabit. Even I have to agree with her. But of course as I am on her ignore she won't see it.

Studies have proven that texting while driving is more dangerous than driving drunk. And what the hell is so important that you need to do it while driving?