Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe, maybe not....I really don't like to interfere in anyones life unless they are overstepping my space...which they might be doing in your case. Personally, I would confront them face to face and tell them to stop the smell or else.
I had a neighbor burning trash some time ago, and it is a violation to do so. I asked him to stop, but he continued...so I called out the Fire Dept....when that big truck arrived and they hosed down his burn barrel and gave him a $500 citation, he knew I was not just wolfing him. Haven't had a problem since.
Regards!

01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
'Stoners are better neighbors than drunks, any day.'
Till they start to steal all your $hit.
I've never know a stoner to steal anything.

Not even my hit.
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

Only if they don't share.
01-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Nubi

Ah, I doubt anybody would do anything for a couple plants. No?? OP is from British Columbia, are you not? Especially there. Isn't Vancouver like the Amsterdam of North America?

01-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll probably talk to him.... although it'll probably do about as much good as the other times I have about anything else like making a racket at 6am, and doing his aundry at 2:am

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Ah, I doubt anybody would do anything for a couple plants. No?? OP is from British Columbia, are you not? Especially there. Isn't Vancouver like the Amsterdam of North America?
Even with one or 2 plants, and lights going the insurance company has the right to refuse payment after any damage.
They actually require landlords here to do routine inspections here from time to time (which is rarely done) because of the problems they've had in the past.
01-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Stoners are better neighbors than drunks, any day.

If I owned the house, though, it probably wasn't made to be a greenhouse, nor did I buy it to be subject to forfeiture.

One or two plants really doesn't matter. Nor do they pose a health hazard. (Some kind of big operation would mean mold and a sick building: cannabis per se is actually pretty healthy to have around.)

One or two plants wouldn't make a difference, though. No more than potted ferns.

The OP lives in the interior of B.C. That's the pot-head growing capital of Canada. There are some areas where you can't take a walk through in the woods without tripping over that wacky-tobacky stuff.
01-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

First thing I would do, as with any neighbor, is to introduce yourself and try to be neighborly...with getting to know each other over time, you may find this mystery solves itself. Calling the cops on someone straight away would be a little harsh, in my opinion.

Jason

01-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #23
Forum Member

Since you're smelling it only a couple of times a day, it's my guess also that he,s smoking it and not necessarily growing it. I think if he was cultivating it, you would smell whatever it is your smelling almost constantly.
Since you say you have nothing against personal use, I think reporting it should be a last resort.
Now, depending what this person is like, and since it seems to bother you, one option may be to mention to him (in a non threatening way) that the smell is escaping his apartment and is obvious to any visitors, and that he may want to consider opening a window when smoking it, or at least weather proof his door.
As an ex-smoker, I know that I would want to keep my smoking as private as possible and would actually welcome the advice.

But that,s just me.

Last edited by Gillies; 01-30-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: adding words
01-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Isn't Vancouver like the Amsterdam of North America?
Except with mountains and better Japanese food.
01-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Would you report someone for growing pot?
Yes!
01-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Damned if I'd report the neighbour. I consider pot being illegal as seriously stupid legislation when I compare the grief alchohol causes both as long term health issues and drunks on their Saturday night rampage.
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Depends. If they piss me off for whatever reason, sure, good to have an ace up your sleeve.

Having said that, on a general scale, I've met more hardcore stoners than full-blown alcos. Generally, they don't leave a good impression. I used to play stoner bingo at Uni - see how many times in say, half an hour, the stoner will bring the conversation back to drugs. Bonus points if they're particularly self-righteous about it.

Pot shouldn't be outlawed, but stoners should.
01-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
The OP lives in the interior of B.C. That's the pot-head growing capital of Canada. There are some areas where you can't take a walk through in the woods without tripping over that wacky-tobacky stuff.
My mom lives in that area, and for that mater my ex wife (commomlaw) was one of the growers before I met her. Although she never used the stuff.
In my opinion it's different while growing in a house you don't own, and possibly effecting others.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
First thing I would do, as with any neighbor, is to introduce yourself and try to be neighborly...with getting to know each other over time, you may find this mystery solves itself. Calling the cops on someone straight away would be a little harsh, in my opinion.

Jason
I've met them Jason, they're just inconsiderate people, more than anything.
Plus I never mentioned calling the cops anywhere, the police around here don't want to get involved.
It's more the possible property damage I was thinking about, along with my health.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gillies Quote
Since you're smelling it only a couple of times a day, it's my guess also that he,s smoking it and not necessarily growing it. I think if he was cultivating it, you would smell whatever it is your smelling almost constantly.
Since you say you have nothing against personal use, I think reporting it should be a last resort.
Now, depending what this person is like, and since it seems to bother you, one option may be to mention to him (in a non threatening way) that the smell is escaping his apartment and is obvious to any visitors, and that he may want to consider opening a window when smoking it, or at least weather proof his door.
As an ex-smoker, I know that I would want to keep my smoking as private as possible and would actually welcome the advice.

But that,s just me.
Thanks Gillies.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Except with mountains and better Japanese food.
So, where's this good Japanese food you mention?
If it keeps up I may need lots of snacks
01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Yes!
Thanks Bill

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Damned if I'd report the neighbour. I consider pot being illegal as seriously stupid legislation when I compare the grief alchohol causes both as long term health issues and drunks on their Saturday night rampage.
Drunks don't pass on second hand smoke. I know that some people claim Pot Smoke doesn't have any of the side effects found in cigarettes, however I don't believe what everyone says.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Depends. If they piss me off for whatever reason, sure, good to have an ace up your sleeve.

Having said that, on a general scale, I've met more hardcore stoners than full-blown alcos. Generally, they don't leave a good impression. I used to play stoner bingo at Uni - see how many times in say, half an hour, the stoner will bring the conversation back to drugs. Bonus points if they're particularly self-righteous about it.

Pot shouldn't be outlawed, but stoners should.
Thanks lithos, that sounds like a fun game
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
My mom lives in that area, and for that mater my ex wife (commomlaw) was one of the growers before I met her. Although she never used the stuff.
In my opinion it's different while growing in a house you don't own, and possibly effecting others.
My parents live in that area too. I was just there. My mom just found out she has cancer so I took the family to visit over Xmas and I was driving her back & forth to Kelowna for various cancer & radiation treatments. Not fun.

As for the pot smoking neighbor, if s/he is rude, inconsiderate, and generally degrading your quality of life then next time you smell pot, a phone call to the authorities asking them to quietly & quickly come over will immediately cure your problems. If you have neighbors who are stupid & narcissistic enough to urinate in their own back yard, then I have no sympathy for them. None.