Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would you report someone for growing pot?

I should first point out that although I never use the stuff I have nothing against a pot plant or 2, for personal use.
I do however have something against anyone damaging others property, endangering anyone, or stealing to grow those plants.

I have reason to believe that the other (upstairs) tenants in this house have at least a plant or 2 growing (the smell filters into my pad a couple of times a day) although I haven't the faintest idea if they have any more.

I do understand that grow op's will often destroy houses, pretty much rotting them out. However I'm not sure if one or 2 plants would cause any damage.

Plus how about health concerns, to both myself and their 2 year old kid?

Here in British Columbia, Canada Landlords do have the right to inspect your dwelling, so if I reported them it's within her right to inspect the place.
If she found any plants I know that she wouldn't hesitate throwing them out.
However I'm really not sure if I should just ignore it for now, or report them. It's tough finding good tenants (which they obviously aren't) around here, so I might end up with someone worst.... or my landlady might just sell the house, and I honestly have a pretty good deal here.

So, what would you do? Please tell me why, and list some pro's and con's.

01-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I *think* it's meth production that destroys houses, not pot. If they don't make excessive noise and the smell doesn't bother you then I'd leave well alone. Obviously, if it becomes obvious that they are dealing to bad types out of there, report them... it's not worth risking your personal safety over.
01-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If it were just the two of them it would be a tough call, but if they have a young child I wouldn't hesitate.
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What makes you think they're growing it and not just smoking it?

01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Stu,

If they growing you would not smell it periodically, it is most likely when they are smoking. I have neighbours on either side of me that smoke but thats the only time i smell it.

It's worth a look i guess, maybe ask them if they can stop smoking inside the house as it bothers you. It's not a rough request, most people would do it.

hope it works out for you
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
I *think* it's meth production that destroys houses, not pot. If they don't make excessive noise and the smell doesn't bother you then I'd leave well alone. Obviously, if it becomes obvious that they are dealing to bad types out of there, report them... it's not worth risking your personal safety over.
Grow Op's do rot houses, here's a link.
I have a few friends, that have had to do a lot of repairs to their rental units.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If it were just the two of them it would be a tough call, but if they have a young child I wouldn't hesitate.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
What makes you think they're growing it and not just smoking it?
They aren't always home when the place stinks. Even if they are just smoking it no smoking is allowed in this house, and I do have lung problems so I don't want to have any smoke entering my place.

I'm still open either way, so please feel free to leave your advice.
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Stu,

If they growing you would not smell it periodically, it is most likely when they are smoking. I have neighbours on either side of me that smoke but thats the only time i smell it.
That's what I thought, however I was told differently from someone who does grow it
I wish I was still on speaking terms with my ex-wife, she had the greenest thumb before I met her

QuoteQuote:
hope it works out for you
Thanks

01-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stoners are better neighbors than drunks, any day.

If I owned the house, though, it probably wasn't made to be a greenhouse, nor did I buy it to be subject to forfeiture.

One or two plants really doesn't matter. Nor do they pose a health hazard. (Some kind of big operation would mean mold and a sick building: cannabis per se is actually pretty healthy to have around.)

One or two plants wouldn't make a difference, though. No more than potted ferns.
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would be liberal and just focus where your interests could be concerned.

Having said that, I understand that these tenants are your neighbors. So, how about a chat or two and make yourself known? And tell them about your concerns. There may be an easy route to settle the problem.
01-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I couldn't possibly suggest that I've ever grown this. However I can 100% guarantee one or 2 plants won't damage anything and it shouldn't give off a sufficiently strong smell to be able to smell it next door. A full-scale hydroponics factory - that would definitely create dampness & rotting, that's serious bad news.

I'd be a little hesitatant about approaching them directly. It might cause trouble.
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Inactive Account

'Stoners are better neighbors than drunks, any day.'
Till they start to steal all your $hit.

'So, what would you do? Please tell me why, and list some pro's and con's.'
It depends on your local laws. I would guess BC is pretty layed back on pot so to report them I would bet nothing gets done and you will pi$$ them off. Best chat with them in a friendly manner about the second hand smoke.

If you suspect they are praying you should turn them in immediatly.
01-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Would definitely.
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Stu, I guarantee you, the shit that people post in General Talk every day is more likely to rot your house than a couple of plants.

If you don't like it and you don't feel comfortable talking to them, report it to your landlady (of course you run the risk of her being a pot smoker herself and it could backfire on you).

Bottom line is it sounds like the smell you're objecting to so tell them it's the smell and they'll probably do something about it.
01-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

If it were normal cigarette smoke would you still go and have a word to them? Or contemplate it?

I don't think a person should be reported to the authorities for owning 2 plants. Nor be considered a criminal. If you caught wind of full scale clandestine methamphetamine manufacture then you could have something to worry about.
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A couple of pot plants are no worse than 2-3 tomato plants or any other kinds of plants...

It's grow ops that rots buildings... we respond to a few of those a year and we're talking 100-200 plants with sprinkler systems in the house, keeping the place at 100% humidity all the time. Those places are aweful.

I would probably kindly ask the neigbour to vent his plants better as the smell bothers you... I'm sure he'll oblige as the last thing he wants if for you to call the authorities.

Pat