Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Photography book

Hi all. My gf wants to give me a book on photography for my birthday. Since she does not want to give me something useless, she asked me what book I'd like. Truth be told, I have no clue what a good book on photography would be.

I'd like anything containing lots of work of famous photographers (landscapes and portraiture work) and also containing some technique (advanced).

Anybody has tips for me? :-)

Thanks!

06-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
I'd like anything containing lots of work of famous photographers (landscapes and portraiture work) and also containing some technique (advanced).
Assuming you know how to use your camera I would recommend the following (books that I own):

My favorites:
"The Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing" by P. L. Gross & S. I. Shapiro.
"Photography and the Art of Seeing" by Freeman Patterson.

Also excellent:
"Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson.
"100 Ways to Take Better Landscape Photographs" by Guy Edwardes.

None of these books have technical diagrams, charts and tables, camera exploded views, lens cross-sections and similar "engineering" stuff. Just photographs and text describing how to take good photographs. Nothing else.

Hope this helps.
06-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Freeman Pattterson is the world's most creative photographer today. His book series is excellent. Buried in them is occasional technical advice on equipment and exposure. A good balance of outstanding photos and text keeps his books relevant over many readings.
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
I looked at Freeman Pattersons website and the book you suggested seems to be a very interesting read.

Thanks for your comments both!

06-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
Freeman Pattterson is the world's most creative photographer today. His book series is excellent. Buried in them is occasional technical advice on equipment and exposure. A good balance of outstanding photos and text keeps his books relevant over many readings.

Another vote for Freeman Patterson here. I always find his books inspiring. Time to read one again..