Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The funny part of that story...

Taiwanese officials realized only recently that the packages contained the nose cones when they went looking for the helicopter batteries, according to U.S. defense officials.
In trying to arrange reimbursement for the missing battery packs, U.S. officials determined that the drums contained classified material, quickly secured the items and returned them to the United States.
Henry and Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne said the Taiwanese did not appear to tamper with the items, which contain 1960s-era technology, and that the nose cones would not have been dangerous on their own because they work only with U.S. missile technology..........

I can see it now.. Where's our batteries.. They send us old junk instead... I want a refund...ohhhh somebodys in trouble...

02-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Taiwanese officials realized only recently that the packages contained the nose cones when they went looking for the helicopter batteries, according to U.S. defense officials.
In trying to arrange reimbursement for the missing battery packs, U.S. officials determined that the drums contained classified material, quickly secured the items and returned them to the United States.
Henry and Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne said the Taiwanese did not appear to tamper with the items, which contain 1960s-era technology, and that the nose cones would not have been dangerous on their own because they work only with U.S. missile technology..........

I can see it now.. Where's our batteries.. They send us old junk instead... I want a refund...ohhhh somebodys in trouble...
Welcome to the machine, you know? "Someone sent us big ol' transistor blasting caps! EEEEE! Nucular!"

*sliding ol gel-pack across the floor.* Careful. These used to *explode.*
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Welcome to the machine, you know? "Someone sent us big ol' transistor blasting caps! EEEEE! Nucular!"

*sliding ol gel-pack across the floor.* Careful. These used to *explode.*
I'm sorry, I'm still laughing about it.. Probably shouldn't though......
Since early 2007, Taiwan had been asking U.S. officials to either reimburse it for the missing batteries or replace them, as part of billions of dollars in U.S. military sales to Taiwan over the past decade. But after the situation was resolved and U.S. authorities told the Taiwanese to get rid of the items they had received -- missing warning signs of a serious breach -- the Taiwanese double-checked the packages because of worries that discarding them could be dangerous.

Taiwan last week alerted U.S. authorities that it believed the military had shipped items related to U.S. "warheads," sparking alarm at the highest levels of the Pentagon
Dohhhh....... Homer at the Pentagon supply warehouse......
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/03/26/ST200803260082...T2008032600827

And of course.......
China responded sternly yesterday to the news of the erroneous shipment, issuing a vehement protest, warning of "disastrous consequences" and demanding a thorough investigation.
02-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I'm sorry, I'm still laughing about it.. Probably shouldn't though......

Guardians of freedom with the goods are *allowed* to laugh. I'm just the jester on this one.

02-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Graphics has it right. There IS drilling off of Cuba by the Chinese though it is exploratory.

FactCheck.org: Are the Chinese drilling off the coast of Cuba?

This is interesting as to where it is exactly.
http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/infobank/programs/html/factsheets/pdfs/2005_3009.pdf
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #36
Site Supporter

It could be advantageous to leak that there are 8 missing ICBMs that went with those triggers. 60s tech or not . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Graphics has it right. There IS drilling off of Cuba by the Chinese though it is exploratory.

Obviously the Chinese are only doing exploration drilling off of Cuba just for the fun of it.
02-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #37
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote

I am always right.

02-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I am always right.
except when you are wrong.
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
except when you are wrong.
I have never been wrong. I have had faulty data programmed into my neural net however.