Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adorama and UPS

So, I purchased a flash a week ago from Adoroma, and they shipped it UPS, no problem right? Wrong.

So I live in an apartment and left a note on the door asking them to leave the package there. They didn't and said that I could pick it up within 5 business days. When I went to pick it up (next business day) they had returned it to the sender.

They proceeded to blame Adorama saying that since it was electronics, they get shipped back to the sender immediately.

Well I called Adorama who then proceeded to blame UPS and said that they would re-ship it back to me when they got. I asked them if they could send it USPS (never thought I'd trust the government with this) and they said they would try.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had any trouble with UPS like this in the past?

02-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't have a problem with UPS being like that, I do however have a problem with them taking their damn sweet time at everything. They think 3 business days is 5-6. I prefer USPS all the way, at least they deliver things fast and actually work on week-ends, except they don't deliver on Sunday's but they still drive the package to the postal office so they can actually deliver on Monday. Unlike UPS which don't even work at all even on Sunday's.
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's kinda.. UPS. If you're in an apartment, provide a plausible hiding place or be home. In cities, their workers are terrified of getting messed-over by the same infuriating bureaucracy as you.
02-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like ordering from beachcamera quite alot. They usually use fedex home, meaning saturday deliveries to your door. Very nice! Oh and Fedex delivers it when it gets here (many times a day early); UPS tends to hold it until the estimated delivery date, even if it sits in the warehouse for a day or two...and no you cant pick it up. yay! I mean nay.

02-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jqjones Quote
So, I purchased a flash a week ago from Adoroma, and they shipped it UPS, no problem right? Wrong.

So I live in an apartment and left a note on the door asking them to leave the package there. They didn't and said that I could pick it up within 5 business days. When I went to pick it up (next business day) they had returned it to the sender.

They proceeded to blame Adorama saying that since it was electronics, they get shipped back to the sender immediately.

Well I called Adorama who then proceeded to blame UPS and said that they would re-ship it back to me when they got. I asked them if they could send it USPS (never thought I'd trust the government with this) and they said they would try.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had any trouble with UPS like this in the past?
A note on the door isn't going to do it. Anybody with a crayon that can scribble a note can leave one. The arrangement to just drop and run has to be made from the shipper end (no signature required) or you have to sign a release (or at least this Use to be the case) to have items left unattended. Anyone who thinks UPS is worried about liability for lost, stolen, or broken items should try filing a claim with them.

Had your note asked the driver to leave with a neighbor, you might be enjoying your flash right now instead of discussing lack thereof here. Of course, these days, no one knows their neighbors and would rather not. So we deal with it.
02-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

UPS is my shipper of last resort, I only use them if all other options have run out. If I have to ship using them, I have the box go to my wife's law office on the theory that they are less likely to screw around with lawyers than regular people.
My best UPS incident was when I had a package shipped from the USA to my house in Canada. I got home from work a week or so after placing my order with X-Rite to find a cardboard box sitting in the gutter, at the side of the street in front of my house.
According to my neighbor who was rather a busy body, this is where UPS had left my box of densitometer parts.
02-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
According to my neighbor who was rather a busy body, this is where UPS had left my box of densitometer parts.
This sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. Not that it was found there but that it was left there. Of course, after witnessing this your friendly neighbor just left it? C'mon!

02-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Don't have a problem with UPS being like that, I do however have a problem with them taking their damn sweet time at everything. They think 3 business days is 5-6. ............
My experience too. The UPS hub at Commerce City, Colorado is the black hole of the entire shipping industry. If I order products from west coast vendors and they go through there I may not see the products for well over a week. I have had packages sit here for as many as 6 days before being put back on a truck.
02-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
This sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. Not that it was found there but that it was left there. Of course, after witnessing this your friendly neighbor just left it? C'mon!
Are you calling me a liar?
Do you want me to break it down to a timeline for you?
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

What I love about UPS is when I track a package online and see it's in a delivery truck out for delivery a day early! Then when I get home and package isn't there, I check the tracking again and it says something like "Redeliver on estimated delivery date". Really? So lemme get this straight, UPS had someone load it on the truck, it bounced around my city/neighborhood all day and then they took it back and unloaded it because it was going to be delivered too early?! Oh they can't set an unreasonable expectation that you might sometimes get your packages early... you want it 2 day instead of 3? pay up sucker! No wonder all my packages look like hell when they are finally delivered.
02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Are you calling me a liar?
Re-Read my statement and ask the question again. What I said was
QuoteQuote:
NOT THAT IT WAS FOUND THERE, BUT THAT IT WAS LEFT THERE

Then I questioned your "busy body" neighbor for leaving it there for you to see, where anybody could have grabbed it.

Now what part of that do you read as Liar?

No, I don't need a timeline to call bullshit on your neighbor's claim that UPS LEFT the package in the gutter.
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Banned

Some of you people crack me up, like as if UPS is one person. UPS has over 400,000 employees and I am sure some of them will be screwUPS just like at Fedex, USPS etc.

BTW here is the tracking info from my last Adorama order from a few weeks ago.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.
02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When I changed from film to digital, I ordered a K110D. It was due to be delivered on Friday. I worked night shift, so I was home all day. I waited and waited. The website said "out for deliver". I waited still. They usually came around 5pm. 6pm came and went.

No camera ever arrived. Later on I look at the website and see "delivery failed - 1st attempt" because I needed to sign. But they were never there. I figure it got late and the UPS driver just scanned what he had left as failed deliveries and went home for the night.

I did receive it Monday, however. Other than that I haven't had any trouble with UPS at all, nor Adorama. I love ordering from Adorama, even the slowest shipping usually only takes a couple days since I'm so close to NYC.
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
..... I love ordering from Adorama, even the slowest shipping usually only takes a couple days since I'm so close to NYC.
Thank you! We do aim to ship out all new orders received before 6:00 pm EST Monday - Thursday on the same day - UNLESS, there are verification issues.

I do understand that it isn't always possible to be home for a UPS delivery; if you need to collect an item from the UPS hub, please either call customer service 800-815-0702 / 212-741-0466 or drop me an email: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com.
We can then run a quick ID verification so that you can collect your package without any difficulties.
02-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

prooflink w/ photos will be helpful !